inTank Media Baskets

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

mbarton2010
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Now I've got to find something to soak these big ass rocks in :huh:

Didnt plan for that part. 

Soak them in tap water and add ammonia. Derrick1980 *ahem* I mean clown 36 suggested this

• Like 3
8 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Now I've got to find something to soak these big ass rocks in :huh:

Didnt plan for that part. 

Have a Brute trash can ? I have a 25 and 44 gallon I think. I used the big one to cycle the rock in. The little one is used for mixing saltwater for the tanks.

• Like 2
kimberbee
9 hours ago, stellablue said:

:lol: i was about to say "he" isn't a he. She's a dudette 

Yay for lady Reefers! 

I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude... we're all dudes!!

• Like 3
WV Reefer
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Have a Brute trash can ? I have a 25 and 44 gallon I think. I used the big one to cycle the rock in. The little one is used for mixing saltwater for the tanks.

Yeah I'm going to have to get something today.  

My one bucket water change days are over. :) I bought fresh Ro/DI filters and resin to prepare for the great water making ceremony. 

• Like 7
ReefWeeds
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Yeah I'm going to have to get something today.  

My one bucket water change days are over. :) I bought fresh Ro/DI filters and resin to prepare for the great water making ceremony. 

I have a 32 gallon brute I use. I wheel it to the RODI setup, fill it. Wheel it back to the water mixing fish closet, add salt, mix. Repeat. Pretty staple system. Brutes with wheels are my besties. 

• Like 3

No wheels for me......all water is mixed in the garage since I love to flood the place :lol: I only do an average of 10 gallons for a water change in the AIO tank so not a big deal. The 100 has only had 40 gallons swapped out if that so far. I do need to clean the sump pretty soon though as it collecting detritus.

• Like 1
WV Reefer
41 minutes ago, spectra said:

No wheels for me......all water is mixed in the garage since I love to flood the place :lol: I only do an average of 10 gallons for a water change in the AIO tank so not a big deal. The 100 has only had 40 gallons swapped out if that so far. I do need to clean the sump pretty soon though as it collecting detritus.

I need a garage :unsure:

• Like 2
yungKitten
Just now, WV Reefer said:

Corrected my previous list..... I ordered 75lbs of rock not 80.  

Still a shit ton of rock!!  @BulkReefSupply Hooked me up with some really nice large pieces. 

Can you put something in there for scale? 

• Like 1
WV Reefer
14 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

Can you put something in there for scale? 

IMG_0680.thumb.JPG.2f5b0b034b72f04d69a7fef2d03c1b20.JPG

all of the rocks are similar to this size. 

Had to get some totes to set the rocks in so the dogs don't pee on them while I'm figuring things out. :closedeyes: I don't have enough floor space inside.  

• Like 6
yungKitten
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Had to get some totes to set the rocks in so the dogs don't pee on them while I'm figuring things out. :closedeyes: I don't have enough floor space inside.  

Lol, thanks! I'm interested to see what kind of scape you come up with.

• Like 1
WV Reefer
1 minute ago, yungKitten said:

Lol, thanks! I'm interested to see what kind of scape you come up with.

I have a feeling I am just going to be staring at these rocks a lot in the next few days.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Rocks are bigger than my whole tank! :lol:

• Like 1
WV Reefer
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Rocks are bigger than my whole tank! :lol:

I requested that I get at least one large rock..... :D   So I think I'm good for this tank and the next!  

• Like 1

Why don't you just use one of those totes to cure the rock in? Also figure out your scape first. Get a hacksaw and you can cut the bottoms flat so the sit perfect. That's the great thing with the pukani......also don't forget to scrub the rock really good.

• Like 3
WV Reefer
58 minutes ago, spectra said:

Why don't you just use one of those totes to cure the rock in? Also figure out your scape first. Get a hacksaw and you can cut the bottoms flat so the sit perfect. That's the great thing with the pukani......also don't forget to scrub the rock really good.

Thanks for all the tips. :) 

I probably will use the totes....they are much easier to move around my small house.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Thanks for all the tips. :) 

I probably will use the totes....they are much easier to move around my small house.  

Also if temps are not to bad outside you can just leave them there. I am not sure when I did mine if I even used a heater. I just tossed them all in the can and ran pumps in there for water movement. Rocks were in the can for a few months though as I didn't have the tank running yet.

• Like 1
WV Reefer
20 minutes ago, spectra said:

Also if temps are not to bad outside you can just leave them there. I am not sure when I did mine if I even used a heater. I just tossed them all in the can and ran pumps in there for water movement. Rocks were in the can for a few months though as I didn't have the tank running yet.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Plus I will get less annoyed if they are out of my way. 

4 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I requested that I get at least one large rock..... :D   So I think I'm good for this tank and the next!  

Haha I think you're covered!  I concur with curing the rock in one of your tubs.  If you need it mobile, you can get these little cart things from places like Lowe's, they are made of wood and covered with utility carpet, and have heavy duty wheels.  Like this.  Very useful for moving stuff around and you could probably just set the tub on top if needed.

• Like 1
WV Reefer
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Haha I think you're covered!  I concur with curing the rock in one of your tubs.  If you need it mobile, you can get these little cart things from places like Lowe's, they are made of wood and covered with utility carpet, and have heavy duty wheels.  Like this.  Very useful for moving stuff around and you could probably just set the tub on top if needed.

You guys have all the good ideas today. :)

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

You guys have all the good ideas today. :)

Everyday ;) 

:lol:

• Like 2
On 4/30/2017 at 10:15 PM, WV Reefer said:
**Skip to page 5 for the build info.... don't ask why :closedeyes:

LOL, Lol, lol....:D

• Like 1
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.