Pod Your Reef

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

WV Reefer
Just now, kimberbee said:

What the heck happened in here last night!?

I know Jack was playing with his donkey towards the end... :wacko:

Jack is always playing with his donkey, so what else is new.  

• Like 3
Sharbuckle

Liked it on insta but figure I should show some love on NR too! 

Seriously though, lets hear some deets

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Drink another beer, i hear it helps 

Only had 4 tonight and ready for bed..............up early need to make a couple light hangers for a few local reefers.......coral monies :lol:

• Like 2
WV Reefer

Ok, time to make with the details:

This tank was purchased about two years ago from Glass Cages as an upgrade on my 75 gallon tank that had to be moved due to house renovations. The tank is 75 gallons, made of 1/2" glass and is 48" x 18" x 21". 

I found a gentleman on ETSY that builds furniture and had him build me a custom stand. I love stands that have a top that overhangs the body and I also wanted a taller than average stand.  

The stand measures 39" tall x 23" deep x 53" wide. It has doors all the way around for easy accessibility. 

Here is a shot of before I began tearing it down:

IMG_4417.thumb.JPG.58e26bf8aace923b5c93737bdc597aad.JPG

After I started my 12 Gallon Long Reef, I knew the planted tank would have to go!  I made myself wait until my reef made it to the one year mark before I began to transition this tank. 

The plan at this time is that there is no plan.  Not a real one anyway.   I want to get the tank up and running and get a feel for how it runs while I work on the scape and stocking plans.  I figure it will end up being a mixed reef so that I can have a little of everything.  I want to run it dirty until I get a feel for this volume of water but I did buy a hob skimmer to experiment with so that I can keep all stocking options open.  

Equipment/Materials:

80lbs CaribSea Fiji Pink Live Sand

75lbs BRS Pukani Dry Rock

VorTech MP40wqd

Reef Octopus HOB Classic 2000

Aqueon Pro 200 Heater x 2

Using existing 48" Aquaticlife T5HO Quad fixture with ATI bulbs- 3 54w Blue Plus and 1 54w Purple Plus

• Like 8

80lbs of Pukani :blink: your going to need a bigger tank :lol: Look at my 100 there is maybe 40lbs in there......Pukani goes a long way.

Cant wait to see how this turns out....hurry up already ;)

• Like 1
WV Reefer
Just now, spectra said:

80lbs of Pukani :blink: your going to need a bigger tank :lol: Look at my 100 there is maybe 40lbs in there......Pukani goes a long way.

Cant wait to see how this turns out....hurry up already ;)

Well, I wanted to cover all my bases and make sure I didn't need to reorder.  I asked for a few large pieces and BRS did me proud. 

• Like 3
ReefWeeds
On 5/3/2017 at 8:23 PM, spectra said:

Ok just tossing this out there :lol:  does anyone pay attention ? I keep reading Dude and he is going to put this in the tank.........look at WV Reefers sig.......Christy does that sound like a dudes name :lol: if so he is one bad ass ;) as I am sure he got beat up when he was a kid..........but am pretty sure he is a she :o 

carry on.......oh and still waiting on details...................

:lol: i was about to say "he" isn't a he. She's a dudette 

On 5/3/2017 at 9:06 PM, WV Reefer said:

I guess I was TOO mysterious.....lol

I can confirm to everyone that I am in fact a lady reefer ;) 

but no details on the tank....... yet! 

Yay for lady Reefers! 

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Well, I wanted to cover all my bases and make sure I didn't need to reorder.  I asked for a few large pieces and BRS did me proud. 

Yep when I ordered I asked for big stuff. I ordered 35 or 40lbs and got 3 rocks :lol: 

I just picked some from a local and well I got a few bigger than basketballs and well a little big for the 14........

• Like 1
WV Reefer

Since the beer bros went wild in here the other night I edited the first post to redirect readers around the nonsense. ;)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Since the beer bros went wild in here the other night I edited the first post to redirect readers around the nonsense. ;)

Nonsense I tell ya..............

• Like 2
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.