Top Shelf Aquatics

WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.

WV Reefer

Last night I left the rocks in the tub and tested again this morning. Phosphate raised from 0.69 to 0.82.........still leaching.  Today I mixed a fresh tub of saltwater and tested it just to get a read and it was at 0.04. I placed the rocks in the fresh saltwater and will keep testing.  

1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Last night I left the rocks in the tub and tested again this morning. Phosphate raised from 0.69 to 0.82.........still leaching.  Today I mixed a fresh tub of saltwater and tested it just to get a read and it was at 0.04. I placed the rocks in the fresh saltwater and will keep testing.  

I used pukani back years ago in my 40.  Just washed it and used it.  It leached continually for over a year growing the most beautiful GHA you've ever seen.  

I used the same rock now but acid soaked it......that water looked like Brown sludge when I was done. 

Good luck!

• Like 5
55 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

I used pukani back years ago in my 40.  Just washed it and used it.  It leached continually for over a year growing the most beautiful GHA you've ever seen.  

I used the same rock now but acid soaked it......that water looked like Brown sludge when I was done. 

Good luck!

Thanks. :unsure:  

I am going to keep this up for a while and then reassess the situation next week.  No way I'm growing just algae in that big ass tank. :closedeyes:

• Like 2
3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Thanks. :unsure:  

I am going to keep this up for a while and then reassess the situation next week.  No way I'm growing just algae in that big ass tank. :closedeyes:

It'd be like a saltwater "planted" tank! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tested today and phosphates are 0.29....slowing down some. 

Going to do a water change in the tub tomorrow and start again. :)

• Like 4

Changed the water in the tub Saturday and today phosphates are 1.79. I am going to let them soak for a few more days and then change the water again. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Travis said:

Why not try just RODI until it stops leaching phosphate? Save the salt.

I might.   The plan was to start adding bacteria after the leaching slowed but it's still ramping up.

No biggie.  Just impatient. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, thomas8man said:

Following now :)

Thanks!  No updates really........Still waiting on these rocks to quit leaching.   :rolleyes:

• Like 1
8 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Thanks!  No updates really........Still waiting on these rocks to quit leaching.   :rolleyes:

I only waited about 4 months :lol: grab a drink and relax its going to be a while.............................

• Like 1
Just now, spectra said:

I only waited about 4 months :lol: grab a drink and relax its going to be a while.............................

Yep. :)  It's slowing down finally though.

It's in the dark but seems to be coloring up some.... did you see anything like that? Or did the vinegar burn it back to white?

On 5/6/2017 at 10:17 PM, Type-H20 said:

No such thing as bad publicity!  You're...welcomeB) 

B)B)

Keeping the dream alive = God's work.

Punk lives?!

Great band. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Yep. :)  It's slowing down finally though.

It's in the dark but seems to be coloring up some.... did you see anything like that? Or did the vinegar burn it back to white?

It was all white then a light brown for a while. I ran a skimmer in the bucket the whole time also. Not light either.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, spectra said:

It was all white then a light brown for a while. I ran a skimmer in the bucket the whole time also. Not light either.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow but I am seeing some tiny pink, red and purple spots. 

You run your 75 with no sump?  I run my 55 with no sump, only a HOB cpr fuge.  I want to upgrade to a 75 gallon since its the same length and height

4 minutes ago, SemperReef said:

You run your 75 with no sump?  I run my 55 with no sump, only a HOB cpr fuge.  I want to upgrade to a 75 gallon since its the same length and height

No sump, no filter.  I plan to run it dirty but did buy a skimmer in case I want/need it.  

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

No sump, no filter.  I plan to run it dirty but did buy a skimmer in case I want/need it.  

I have a skimmer, reef octopus 1000 HOB.  I take it you dont have much in the way of sps?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SemperReef said:

I have a skimmer, reef octopus 1000 HOB.  I take it you dont have much in the way of sps?

In this tank I have nothing. :(  

my 12 Gallon runs dirty and has some sps.  

• Like 1
On 6/12/2017 at 10:50 PM, Nidilsky said:

Great band. 

One of many...We may need a side thread B)

...or, here is good.  Forgot where I was.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

One of many...We may need a side thread B)

...or, here is good.  Forgot where I was.

Might as well talk about something in here while the rocks are cooking.  ;)

• Like 1

Today I was testing the tub of water and I decided to test my 12 gallon long too....... I never test on that tank unless something looks or feels off and even then I only test the basics: ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. I have only tested calcium and alk once. Never tested for phosphates or magnesium.  

The phosphates in that tank are 0.12. :lol:

I've been so concerned about the rock for this tank which is also at 0.12  Guess I need to relax.  :rolleyes:

guess who's filling up the tank this weekend?!!!!!!  

• Like 5
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 75 Gallon Big and Dirty.