inTank Media Baskets

Kamohara Blenny?

iball1804

I saw one of these guys at Petco of all places. Had some business in the area and decided to just check the place out. At first I thought it was an engineer goby, but after reading the label and further inspection it definitely wasn't. Intrigued, I googled the name and found very little information besides  a rather cryptic ORA description and a Reef Builders article praising the fish is finally back in the US.

And, yes, I did buy him simply for the sake of getting him out of a petco tank. 

QUESTION - has anyone had any personal experience with this fish? Are they as rare and uncommon as my searches lead me to believe? Any information would be nice. All I know so far is that he JUMPS like no fish I've ever had before.

IMG_6819.JPG

Yep Liveaquaria has a couple for sale, as well as a handful of other little sites. But it seems like NO one has had any type of experience with them. No threads, nothing (besides breeders).

Just bought one at Petco myself and ran into the same problem; I can't find anything but as suggestions in "potential tank mate" threads.

How is yours doing so far? What other fish do you have him with? Putting mine in a 90g tank with tangs, tricolor wrasse and a neon goby. 

iball1804

Ended up bringing him to a trusted LFS, I don't have a tank large enough to the bioload a fish that size requires. In the end I saved the poor guy from petco, but supported their program in the process. Who won? Not really sure but good luck with the lil guy - keep us all posted because I'm sure we aren't the only ones wondering!

jesseatam

I would LOVE to find one of these at my LFS, they're one of my favorites. I've done a lot of research on these guys and I haven't read anything on them being aggressive and care wise they seem similar to Meiacanthus grammistes, the striped fang blenny which is another species that ORA produces. The best sources for basic info on these guys are ORA, LA, and that Reef Builders article. When I was looking into these guys I also had a hard time finding a lot of info on them.

Makes me wonder if the Petco Kamohara blennies are from ORA, since Petco bought Liveaquaria? I've also seen the M. grammistes there as well, though you'd think if they really were ORA it would say something on the tag. The Petco in my area hasn't been too bad recently, at least not much worse than LFS's; at least they're clean and not overstocked. 

Kamohara was up bright and early this morning. Very active, outgoing little guy, can't wait to add him to the main tank this weekend.

There's no other place besides ORA that's breed them as far as I know and I think wild caught are crazy expensive and rare so that would make sense, but it's a shame that they aren't labeled. I'm also super jealous that your  Petco has them, last time I went to the one near me all they had was some clowns, some skinny looking neon dottybacks, and a small royal gramma. I'm also super interested to see how your guy does, what have you been feeding it?

They got him fat on frozen mysis in the store, (which he still favors) but I feed all my fish different blends of LRS in rotation. He's tried a little but he's still pretty picky on which pieces he goes after. 

Maybe. They're small, but doesn't seem much smaller than my damsel I keep at work who eats pellets.

Diver's Den currently has a trio, so perhaps they do well in groups... I've decided to combine my reef tanks, so hopefully he'll do well with my tailspot. 

According to everything I've read they should get along fine, and I would totally order a trio but I think my 30 gallon would be overstocked with them plus 2 clowns and a gramma :lol:

I still need to get a pic, (his potbelly is adorable) but my Qt tank is an algae mess right now and he ducks away from my phone. Maybe once he's settled in the display, if I can keep him from jumping for that long!

Given time you should be able to get them on small (0.5 mm or 1mm pellets). I've not had a kamohara, but I have had a green canary (wild caught from BlueZoo) and a blackline from ORA.  The green canary didn't take pellets for some time ... until he finally caught on to why the other fish were eating them.  The ORA raised blackline has eaten pellets from day 1.

As for being peaceful, fang blennies tend to get along great with all other types of fish EXCEPT ONE - other fang blennies.  Personally, I would not try to have more than one fang blenny in a tank smaller than 150G, if at all, unless they are a mated pair ... otherwise, soon or later the aggression will lead to jumping.

As a matter fact SunWyrm, that may be why yours is trying to jump so much. I don't know what size QT you have it in ... how much 'shelter' there is in it ... or if the black panel is blacked out, but if his reflection is stressing him out too much, he may be jumping in an attempt to get away from it.

Archived