Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano Addict's 20g Fusion - Retired February 2021

Nano_Addict

Nano_Addict

October 2018 FTS

5.thumb.jpeg.2d39cc25a321fe9ff15dc806f3571968.jpeg

Well, here goes!  After having been out of the reefing world since 2007, this past December I decided to start up a simple 10g tank... a few fish, some corals, nothing fancy.  Of course I underestimated how much I love this hobby and couldn't resist the urge for something just a little bigger with a few more bells and whistles. Enter the IM 20 Fusion... the box was bigger than expected upon arrival, pretty sure the UPS man was cursing me while hauling it out of the truck at 830pm.

Equipment

- 20 gallon Innovative Marine Fusion (Actual volume ~14 gallons)

- Stock return pump  Since 1.5 Return Pump

- Hydor Koralia 240 Powerhead x2

- Aqamai KPS powerhead

- Finnex HMO 50W Heater

- Smart Micro ATO

- Nanobox Duo Plus

- Apex Jr.

- 2x BRS 1.1mL/min dosing pumps - Dosing BRS 2-part

Filtration

- Innovative Marine 200 micron filter sock (left chamber)

- IM media caddy with filter floss and chemipure blue

- Chaeto reactor

- ~15lbs live rock

- ~20lbs aragalive live sand

Stocking

- True Percula Clown x2

- Sixline Wrasse

- High Fin Red-Banded Goby

- Yellow watchman goby

- Jawfish

- tailspot blenny

- Randalli Goby

IMG_4509.thumb.JPG.d190ed947394ad4e3a346f0afda09197.JPG

Not gonna fit down the hallway like this :huh:

IMG_4503.thumb.jpg.18482d5ecca83075a297ae68d5372f29.jpg

BRS did a great job with the exterior packaging and the tank itself was well secured within the interior box.

IMG_4505.thumb.jpg.8ff485257ff2e9c689cd5b4b20ee9997.jpg

Looks great on the stand

IMG_4508.thumb.jpg.53e7069a525374ff0711d3180d9879ce.jpg

I debated doing a full tank switch in one day, but opted for patience and decided to allow the 20g to cycle using water from the 10g and some of the established sandbed. The 20g is going where the 10 is currently sitting, going to have to perform some delicate moving to make room...

IMG_4507.thumb.jpg.c0d74707c1717ee6681657c0c026f9b4.jpg

With some help from the fiance' we got both tanks moved, now I just have to level up the stand and get some water in this thing, then going hunting for some additional live rock!

IMG_4512.thumb.jpg.1fa5af888110be28af7047bc5e9baa2e.jpg

Right now, everything is still stock on the IM20, debating upgrading the return pump for a little more flow any and all suggestions are welcome!

• Like 4
Nano_Addict

Thanks! It's great to be back. Although my wallet might disagree.

As of yesterday, the tank has water and no leaks.  I totally see what you're saying about the pump though, it makes quite a bit of noise.  I've seen a lot of people upgrade to the Sicce pumps, anyone have suggestions on what size would be enough flow for this tank?  I also saw a video from marine depot suggesting to use two of the sicce micraplus pumps, one for a return and another to power a reactor... options options options :P

Gonna get rock, sand, and saltwater in it soon, i'll be sure to post some pictures once that happens!

Nano_Addict

Water and rock is in.  Scape is certainly up for change at this point, but the right side is close to what i'm looking for.  Going for two isolated islands with lots of area for swimming fish.

IMG_4518.thumb.jpg.39d4cbc15aa13b670b5024629d4a1ac9.jpg

The main rock from the 10g should fill in the left side perfectly. Old pic, but it shows it pretty well.

IMG_4312.thumb.jpg.1a390b41b3d727105fc37a31c3e9339e.jpg

• Like 1
Nano_Addict

So the light for this tank is still up in the air at this point.  Currently over the 10g I have a Current USA Orbit LED.  This should do fine for the short term, but I'm looking to up the intensity so that eventually I could add some sps to this tank.  Right now the considerations are: AI Prime HD, Kessil A160, or a Nanobox Duo M.  The Nanobox is likely out of my price range, but it would give the tank a more even spread of light.

Any input on the lights would be appreciated.

Cheers! 

myarmolich

get the nanobox! especially if you're going to do SPS. Buy once cry once is definitely a rule to live by in this hobby if you're interesting in going towards harder corals

• Like 1
Nano_Addict
2 hours ago, myarmolich said:

get the nanobox! especially if you're going to do SPS. Buy once cry once is definitely a rule to live by in this hobby if you're interesting in going towards harder corals

haha words of wisdom for sure.  I certainly like the customization available for the nanobox.  Would a single light source such as the AI or Kessil even provide sufficient spread of light for this tank?  The AI claims to provide light for a 24x24 area, I'm wondering if anyone has specific experience with it over this tank.

1 hour ago, Nano_Addict said:

haha words of wisdom for sure.  I certainly like the customization available for the nanobox.  Would a single light source such as the AI or Kessil even provide sufficient spread of light for this tank?  The AI claims to provide light for a 24x24 area, I'm wondering if anyone has specific experience with it over this tank.

Budgetwise, the Primes are tough to beat.  I've seen plenty of Fusion 20s with Primes that are very successful, and I'm about to move my Prime over to the 18" cube.  That being said, I think you may have issues with the spread depending on where you want to keep your sps in your tank.  You'll most likely run into the same issues with the Kessil as well, mostly due to the single puck.  You can't go wrong with any of those choices though!

Also, check out the small nanobox discounts for "seconds" : 

Nano_Addict

1 hour ago, moosubi said:

Budgetwise, the Primes are tough to beat.  I've seen plenty of Fusion 20s with Primes that are very successful, and I'm about to move my Prime over to the 18" cube.  That being said, I think you may have issues with the spread depending on where you want to keep your sps in your tank.  You'll most likely run into the same issues with the Kessil as well, mostly due to the single puck.  You can't go wrong with any of those choices though!

Also, check out the small nanobox discounts for "seconds" : 

Just found this thread!  Thanks for the heads up, definitely some good deals.  Now I might have to make a decision quickly! :o

Is that a standard 10 (derimmed) or something else?  Like your photo loaded build thread too btw and always like the unboxing pics!:D

Nano_Addict
10 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

Is that a standard 10 (derimmed) or something else?  Like your photo loaded build thread too btw and always like the unboxing pics!:D

It's actually a NUVO Black from Innovative Marine.  Back in November when I was doing my initial research (I'll admit, I did a bad job), this seemed like a perfect clean look for me.  Little did I know how much AIO's had progressed and soon after setting the 10g up I was regretting not going with a Fusion series.

I'm going to do my best to keep lots of pictures coming, I know I always enjoy reading threads that have a lot to look at!

As for the tank, the cycle seems to be progressing.  Monday ammonia was at ~.25, Tuesday it had gone down to ~.10.  By using some established sand I am hoping for an abbreviated cycle.  We shall see!

• Like 1
Nano_Addict

Boring and exciting.

First the boring. The cycle continues to progress.  Ammonia was at or around 0 yesterday.  Nitrate was at 10, and i don't have a Nitrite test kit.... yet.  Nitrite kit is on the way, hopefully it will be here soon.

Now the exciting! I took @myarmolich 's advice and went for the Nanobox!  Dave's "seconds" post was a great opportunity to get a like new unit at a crazy discount.  Should be here in another week or so!  I'd say a light like this opens up all kinds of possibilities for this tank down the road, can't wait to get it over the tank!

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Nano_Addict said:

Boring and exciting.

First the boring. The cycle continues to progress.  Ammonia was at or around 0 yesterday.  Nitrate was at 10, and i don't have a Nitrite test kit.... yet.  Nitrite kit is on the way, hopefully it will be here soon.

Now the exciting! I took @myarmolich 's advice and went for the Nanobox!  Dave's "seconds" post was a great opportunity to get a like new unit at a crazy discount.  Should be here in another week or so!  I'd say a light like this opens up all kinds of possibilities for this tank down the road, can't wait to get it over the tank!

Cool.  You got the Tide?

On 5/4/2017 at 3:34 PM, Nano_Addict said:

Went with a Duo Plus!  Like they said, buy once, cry once! haha

Nice.  How do you like it?

17 minutes ago, Nano_Addict said:

Almost go time...

IMG_4531.thumb.jpg.c2ab0e6880416615c8a2a901db871e74.jpg

Nano_Addict
On 5/6/2017 at 4:33 PM, Type-H20 said:

Nice.  How do you like it?

Won't be arriving for another week.  Dave was putting updated LEDs in the unit.  Can't wait to get it!

Nano_Addict

Unfortunately the tank switch didn't happen this weekend... after spending about 2 hours playing with the scape and trying to get a couple rocks epoxied together (ugh that stuff smells like a public restroom :blink:) I just ran out of time.  

Certainly won't hurt to let it keep cycling for another week.  In the meantime, here's a current picture of the 10g everything will be coming from.

download.thumb.png.87a58cd0f6148ba9d1261de6cd09e17b.png

Nano_Addict

Parameters have been stable all week so I decided to go for it.  One long afternoon later, the tanks have been combined!  I'm still working on the rockscape at the moment, the main rock from the 10g was bigger than I anticipated and I've ended up with a lot of unusable space in the back left corner of the tank.  Debating on whether or not to get out the hammer and chisel to break it up.  

Also, still waiting on the NanoBox, but hopefully it will be here this week B)

Excuse the mess of corals across the sand, once I decide the scape is final things will get glued down.  

IMG_4544.thumb.jpg.b154b483b63aa69eac504e5c587eb13c.jpg

• Like 2
Nano_Addict

I think i'm definitely going to need some improved flow within the tank.  Right now I'm using the stock return pump and two koralia 240's.  Ideally I would love to add a MP10, but I don't think the budget is going to accommodate that right now.  My LFS is a big proponent of the Jaebo pumps.  Does anyone have some experience with these?  Seems that for the price, they'd be hard to beat.  Additionally, I think a spinstream or two could help with the flow behind the rock work.  Any input would help!  

Thanks!

myarmolich
12 hours ago, Nano_Addict said:

I think i'm definitely going to need some improved flow within the tank.  Right now I'm using the stock return pump and two koralia 240's.  Ideally I would love to add a MP10, but I don't think the budget is going to accommodate that right now.  My LFS is a big proponent of the Jaebo pumps.  Does anyone have some experience with these?  Seems that for the price, they'd be hard to beat.  Additionally, I think a spinstream or two could help with the flow behind the rock work.  Any input would help!  

Thanks!

hi :( 

same advice applies in some sort of ####ed way. why spend $60 on a chinese knock off when you can find a used MP-10 for $100 on reef2reef/drygoods or here

On 5/14/2017 at 10:44 AM, Nano_Addict said:

Parameters have been stable all week so I decided to go for it.  One long afternoon later, the tanks have been combined!  I'm still working on the rockscape at the moment, the main rock from the 10g was bigger than I anticipated and I've ended up with a lot of unusable space in the back left corner of the tank.  Debating on whether or not to get out the hammer and chisel to break it up.  

Also, still waiting on the NanoBox, but hopefully it will be here this week B)

Excuse the mess of corals across the sand, once I decide the scape is final things will get glued down.  

IMG_4544.thumb.jpg.b154b483b63aa69eac504e5c587eb13c.jpg

Looks like you have a lot of coral placement surface area. 

Nano_Addict
10 hours ago, myarmolich said:

hi :( 

same advice applies in some sort of ####ed way. why spend $60 on a chinese knock off when you can find a used MP-10 for $100 on reef2reef/drygoods or here

Well the thought was, if i'm gonna go for the MP, I wanted the MP10wQD at the very least I'd like the QD version.  I've been scouting the marketplaces but most are around 180-200... which at that point is almost worth going for new.  If the Jaebo works, it would be a solid substitute for the MP until I can afford one.  Ahhh the struggles :D

10 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

Looks like you have a lot of coral placement surface area. 

That was definitely the goal!  I have to say my inspiration to get this tank was @uwdanno 's thread and TOTM feature.  He's absolutely killing it with this tank.

Still thinking I need to bust up the left rock a bit to make it fit the space a little better.

• Like 2
  • Nano_Addict changed the title to Nano Addict's 20g Fusion - Retired February 2021