Coral Vue Hydros

Flame Angelfish

Myles O'leary

Myles O'leary

Hi, so I was wondering if I could get a flame angelfish. I have 12 coral 2 clownfish 1 Tricolor Fairy Wrasse 1 Pyjama Cardinal one fire shrimp and one peppermint shrimp.My tank is a 29 gallon biocube. I was just wondering about the compatibility with they other fish, thanks.

Just now, Myles O'leary said:

Hi, so I was wondering if I could get a flame angelfish. I have 12 coral 2 clownfish 1 Tricolor Fairy Wrasse 1 Pyjama Cardinal one fire shrimp and one peppermint shrimp. I was just wondering about the compatibility with they other fish, thanks.

Angels are notorious "pickers" and bullies.  How big is your tank and what kind of corals?

i like angels but they can be a problem sometimes. 

• Like 1

You might be maxxed out in a 29. maybe a smaller fish would work. A flame angel shouldnt be in anything smaller 40 IMO. But I generally lightly stock tanks as far as fish are concerned.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Your maxxed out in a 29.  The tricolor really should be in a bigger tank

Mine was around 5 inches and swam all the time.  So, I woyld mobitor him and if he ever seems stressed it might a space issue. A flame angel shouldnt be in anything smaller 40 IMO.

I missed the 29 gallon part. :blink:

Just now, WV Reefer said:

Missed the 29 gallon part. :blink:

lol I feel the need to mention i edited my original response since I thought she meant tricolor wrasse which is another name for a solar wrasse which is way too big for a 29.  but if its a lubbocks wrasse than its probably okay.

No. The angel is notorious for picking corals and needs a bigger tank.

You have quite a bit in a 29g. I'd stick to something small, like a goby.

• Like 3
wii64brawl

If you're looking for another open water swimmer, you might light pygmy wrasses, which stay very small but are very cool looking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't get a diamond goby, they rely on large populations of microorganism species in the sand to survive, and can be major annoyances by causing sand clouds. 

I am a fan of angelfishes my self. I think a cherub angel is small and would be content in a 29 BC. I keep an eibli angel in my BC 14 with lots of rockwork to forage and hide. She seams to be content. She does pick at acros and a small Monti frag but ignores my mushrooms and other softies in the tank. 

I did some diving in Cozumel and saw many cherubfish at around 100 feet darting in and around small corals on the bottom. Not sure what there territory size is, probably as long as they had enough food available they were content and hiding spots from predators... but we normally won't add predators to our tanks. 

• Like 1
BustytheSnowMaam

As others have said, it might pick at LPS and SPS corals (your mileage may vary).  

I have a "groucho" dwarf angelfish (half lemonpeel, half half-black with eyebrows like Groucho Marx) in my 30 and it does fine.  There is plenty of rockwork and caves for it to explore and so it seems content.  I'd say go for it.  

• Like 1