ReefCleaners.org

40B Build starting on low budget

Hdale85

Well I put in like 4 drops of ammonia just to keep the tank fed. I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy any live stuff this week yet or not. We're trying to go to NJ for reefAppaloosa as the wife really wants to go now lol. 

graftobny142

From what I understand they can, but they can also get stuck so you have to keep an eye on them. Considering I literally sit next to my tank every day and look at it, it won't really be a problem. I just like the way they look. 

• Like 1

I've not had an issue with astrea, and almost never could find trochus snails locally lol.  If you'd like a more budget CUC option, look at Reef Cleaners.  They have a nice variety.  I don't know if ninja stars (spiny stars) can right themselves or not.

graftobny142
35 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I've not had an issue with astrea, and almost never could find trochus snails locally lol.  If you'd like a more budget CUC option, look at Reef Cleaners.  They have a nice variety.  I don't know if ninja stars (spiny stars) can right themselves or not.

I've been to several LFS that are selling Trochus as Astrea snails. It seems like a common mistake. 

I thought I had Astrea for the last couple months until I saw something about Trochus snails haha

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

been adding 5 or so drops of ammonia here and there, I did it about a day ago and my tank already processed most of it out, so I guess it's cycling pretty dang good now. 

So I got a pretty good deal on some clowns from the show. They were labeled as nano clowns? I'm not sure if they are just babies or if this is as big as they'll get? They seem to be doing well, I added them to the tank last night when we got home and then this morning I just fed them. I do hope they get a bit bigger though lol, but they are cute and it was $60 bucks for all 4. There's 2 Black Ice and 2 Snowflake. 

IMG_20170625_080410_zpssbxkswhr.jpg

38 minutes ago, Hdale85 said:

So I got a pretty good deal on some clowns from the show. They were labeled as nano clowns? I'm not sure if they are just babies or if this is as big as they'll get? They seem to be doing well, I added them to the tank last night when we got home and then this morning I just fed them. I do hope they get a bit bigger though lol, but they are cute and it was $60 bucks for all 4. There's 2 Black Ice and 2 Snowflake. 

That's a great deal on 4 Clowns, especially those types!!

They're just babies and will grow larger. 

That's what I figured, I looked into it a bit on my phone and couldn't find any mention of nano clowns actually being a thing. 

1 hour ago, Hdale85 said:

Those are super cute!  Look like fancy ocellaris to me, which means they will def grow bigger.  I dunno if you will need to rehome some of them eventually and keep only a pair-know nothing about group kept clowns!  But those types run often $60 or more apiece so you got a great deal!

• Like 2

Nice clowns. 

11 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

BRS has a tank of black ocellaris that has like 10 individuals. They call it the harem tank.

Yes, it is possible to do but not an easy project.

Tanks need to be large, clowns should be raised together from the same clutch for success, and multiple females must be avoided.

It's one  dominant female, the rest males. 

http://aquadaily.com/2009/01/28/27-clownfish-with-anemones/

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/Clownfish-Harem-tank-is-2-years-old-update/

4 hours ago, Hdale85 said:

Cool clown fish

So, after last night and this morning they are now just sort of staying in one corner of the tank, does that mean the flow might be too high? They were swimming around when I fed them.

Also what do most people feed clown fish? I got some fish eggs from Rod's Food at RAP but they said they wouldn't feed them the eggs every day. 

graftobny142
3 hours ago, Hdale85 said:

So, after last night and this morning they are now just sort of staying in one corner of the tank, does that mean the flow might be too high? They were swimming around when I fed them.

Also what do most people feed clown fish? I got some fish eggs from Rod's Food at RAP but they said they wouldn't feed them the eggs every day. 

Thats what clowns do.

They find a spot and stay in it, whether that is an anemone or a corner of your tank

Got a pic of them together in their corner. 

IMG_20170626_095251_zpsbksp4vtg.jpg

This coming weekend I'm going to be picking up snails. There was one booth at RAP that had them but I couldn't really get info on them and I didn't really like them that much. 

I really want to get a single Flame Angel at some point, but with how small these clowns are I'm not sure if that'd be alright. I know people seem to do ok with one flame angel in a 40b usually. 

• Like 1
Pinner Reef

You can do a Flame in the 40... Fair warning tho; some of them will try and nip at coral. Once he's in, no more angels.

Four clowns in a 40 might be a bit much tho. Hopefully they pair off and choose opposite sides of the tank as their territories; otherwise they might fight each other.

Nerite and Cerinth snails are my fav... solid employees