Innovative Marine Aquariums

40B Build starting on low budget

Hdale85

I'm thinking about the jebao sw4 with controller too.       though I here a bit aobut them not lasting much longer than 1 to 2 years, and it makes me even more nervous with what I'm thining about getting one of them and using it to help cure pukani rock.     putting in it a tub and running it for like a month. 

hmm..  wonder if just buyhing a little coralife nano or hydor nano would be better..  then down the road getting the jebao... 

From what I've researched as long as you do normal cleanings and keeping them properly maintained they will continue to work fine.

Well I went and picked up my rock today from UPS. I have to tell you the condition of the box made me think twice about accepting it lol. It looks like someone crushed down all the corners and then rolled the box down a hill. But I brought it home and opened it up and the rock looks pretty good, there's a bit of crumble in the box that's sort of all over everything but I'm sure it'll be fine. 

Yeah but I've seen unboxing videos and they were in better shape (box wise) than how mine arrived lol. And when I picked it up it just sounded like crushed rock! I'm glad it wasn't though lol. 

Some tinkering inside the tank. 

IMG_20170515_193421_zps0grodctm.jpgIMG_20170515_193436_zpsu1sx4rtb.jpgIMG_20170515_193445_zpskx5wscjc.jpg

This is all the same structure just a few different shots. Do you guys think this looks decent? Or should I start over lol. 

Ok I tinkered some more, I think this is a bit better. Honestly I think I could of used 50lbs of rock pretty easy. Maybe I'll order another 50lb box or something. If I do a sump I can put the rest in the sump for filtration. 

IMG_20170515_202151_zpsz1feblkp.jpgIMG_20170515_202157_zpsow50ahe3.jpg

12 minutes ago, Hdale85 said:

Ok I tinkered some more, I think this is a bit better. Honestly I think I could of used 50lbs of rock pretty easy. Maybe I'll order another 50lb box or something. If I do a sump I can put the rest in the sump for filtration. 

IMG_20170515_202151_zpsz1feblkp.jpgIMG_20170515_202157_zpsow50ahe3.jpg

I like this one better. 

You prob won't need more rock. 

Yeah I'm digging this setup more. I'll probably pour the sand in around it here shortly. Iv'e decided if I do end up going for a sump I'll just use a ghost style overflow that goes on the back of the tank. I mainly am considering a sump for the extra water capacity, and the ability to not have a ton of things hanging on the tank.

Hmm that one 20lb bag actually makes a pretty thick sand bed. It's just at or slightly above the black plastic trim. 

I'm probably going to initially use just RO water to fill the tank. Research has said that it's generally ok to do so. My RO water was testing like 4ppm so it's pretty dang low TDS. I will be ordering an DI stage to add to it very soon though and future water stages will be 0ppm. 

WhiteWulfe

You're a brave one to do your initial setup on furniture.  Even my spouse would bark at me for such, and he's an enabler! ^_^;;;

Also, ooooh headphones in the reflection. 

I'm a stay at home dad and do all the cleaning and everything lol. So she doesn't really say much about anything. 

Turns out my RO water is more like 15ppm. I feel like that would be ok for cycling but I'll likely just wait until I can order some stuff for my RO setup. 

Nice start. I did a budget 40 breeder too a little while back. I left the site for a little while but now I'm back. I need to update my thread soon. Looking back the only thing I wish I spent more on was my stand. I have considered upgrading it but I dread the idea of the amount of work involved. Anyways, I have been thinking about a sw-4 as well.  Did you buy 2?

I have one currently, but will be ordering a second soon. I basically bought the bare minimum items needed for me to start cycling my tank. 

So I'm putting together a list of stuff to order which should be just about everything I need to finish this setup and be ready for fish, coral, etc. 

I think I'm gonna go with Aquaforest Reef Salt as people seem to like it a lot better than instant ocean. 

I was thinking about getting the Aquaforest additives as well, but I'm not sure if I need them? These are the 2 that Amazon kind of suggested with the salt. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015UBTJOG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A5SMH1LEII315

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015UBT9VY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also I have 2 75w heaters, another Jebao SW4, and either the Seachem or the other HOB. 

I need to figure out a decent light solution around 200 bucks, either DIY or commercial. Also I'm going to order this lid I think, or I might just make one. 

http://artfullyacrylic.3dcartstores.com/Aqueon-40-Breeder-Clearview-Lid_p_1981.html

I also need to get some more testing stuff, I'm not sure what's the best for complete testing system. I have the Seachem Amonia test kit currently....is there an all in one kit that's actually decent? Eventually I'd like to get a controller that has probes for the basic stuff, or get the stand alone digital tests for PH, Amonia, Nitrates, Nitrites. 

Also here's how the tank currently sits 

IMG_20170517_225823_zps2briusco.jpg

Actually not going to be able to do the clearview lid without adding significant cost because of the HOB and such.....ugh....maybe I should go for a sump and get the light later when it's closer to time to add things to the tank lol. 

So for testing purposes I have:

Seachem Multitest pH/Alkalinity 

Seachem Multitest Nitrate/Nitrate

Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test Kit which does Ca, KH, Mg

That with my Seachem Amonia test kit should be a pretty decent start. 

Sadly Amazon once again sold out of the Ehiem 75w heaters....so I'm just going to get a single 150w for now. 

Also decided on grabbing a Seachem Tidal 110 HOB, I'm not sure what media I should put in it. I know carbon is generally one. Should I put filter media in it too? And I know filter floss. 

After that I have about 190 dollars worth of stuff in my list from BRS for my RO upgrade. This includes dual DI canisters, a GE ROsave.z 1 micron depth filter, dual 1 micron carbon blocks, an 800ML membrane flush valve/restrictor. bunch of tubing, etc. Also a float valve so I can constantly have a tank of water. 

As for the light I think I'm going to go with one of the Chinese 165w LED lights. Apparently they are good for even SPS stuff as they have been measured to do over 200 par at the sand bed in even deeper tanks. I'm only going to use one for now and they are dimmable so won't be running at full power at all. There are some green and yellow LED's in them so I will likely swap those out for some better colors as apparently those promote algae growth. They are only like 85 bucks on ebay, and I can get the ideal colored LED's for maybe 30 bucks more. People have been running these lights for 2+ years on this forum and others and seem to be very happy with them. 

All of that adds up to right around 600 bucks.....and I think that's about everything I should need before I add fish? I need to make panels for the sides of this metal stand, but that's cosmetic stuff. I need to make a lid for it as well, but that can be done anytime in the next month or so. We may be going to the Reef Palooza event in NY next month. I mentioned it to the wife and it's going to be right around the time that my tanks should be nice and stable. I imagine you can buy coral and such from there and transport them home ok? We live in Ohio so it's like a 5 hour trip. 

Oh also I'm tempted to order a bit more rock. I may not need it but I kind of want the rock scape in the middle to go a bit higher. So I may place an order for 15lbs or somethign and see if he can give me a nice single rock that'll fit good in that middle flat section so it goes up a bit higher. I may not though, I can add that anytime in the next month I imagine without much issue. 

On 4/29/2017 at 8:37 AM, Weetabix7 said:

I think you'd honestly do better to use Distilled water. 

I think with RO only water you'd still have stuff in the water that would set you up for pest algae problems down the road. 

This build interests me.

I've been quite tempted to get a 40B myself from the Petco sale, but I'm not in a place where I'd be able to set it up the way I want.

Anyway, I personally learn a lot from reading tank threads of others, so I wanted to share this tank thread with you: 

It is the exact tank I upgraded to.

For filter media.

Use filter floss. You can buy it in bulk. I cut mine to tge shape of the tidal sponge.

Replace floss 2 times a week.

I use carbon in a media bag which i rinse on waterchange day. I replace the carbon every 3 weeks.

I use purigen but its not a must.

I use phosguard in small quantities but its recommended to use as needed.

I'm using a Chinese black box. I also changed the red and green with uv and removed the optics for a better spread. I kinda wish I went with the 300w box because they're a bit longer for better coverage, but I'm happy with mine. Think my thread is in my signature to see how it looks. 

Do I really need to test Calcium and Magnesium? Seems like maybe that's only needed for SPS's which I won't be doing anytime soon if at all. 

Well just placed a 330 dollar order with Amazon, grabbed the HOB from ebay as it was about 10 bucks cheaper. I have a 185 dollar order to place with BRS for my RO upgrades and replacement filters. I'm waiting until Saturday for the BRS purchase for the group buy deal. Here is the items I'm ordering from BRS

591eaa2102108_ROupgrades.thumb.png.7436bfc27d7ff8b611c37325624c6a15.png

I decided to go with this light, just one for now if I feel I need another I will grab one. The LED colors on this seemed more appropriate to what people recommend compared to the ebay models. Also it has a timer function and was pretty cheap at 117 bucks considering I don't have to swap any LED's. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJHWHYK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1