ReefCleaners.org

Spiny Lobster questions

NightHunter

NightHunter

I have been doing a large amount of research about starting up a new 20 gallon long and have always been fascinated with spiny lobsters.  Looking into then has given me little information on them and that is mixed in every way, so I have a few questions:

1. Are Panulirus guttatus (Spotted Spiny Lobsters) better for compatibility with other inverts and fish than the Panulirus versicolor (Blue Spiny Lobster), I know they are a smaller species than the blues and from what little I found abit shy. Would this make them into more peaceful reef dwellers comparatively?

2. Would the lobster try and harm a goby/pistol shrimp pair? If he decided to harass them would the pistol be able to scare it away as to not harm them?

3. Are their any even smaller species of Spiny Lobsters and more peaceful that are available that could permanently be in a nano reef (I am aware of the size that they lobster get to and can put them in a much larger 100ish gallon tank eventually that my father has, would like to keep them in a smaller tank for visibility purposes until they do out grow the tank and for personal enjoyment :D)

4. Where can I get a spotted spiny lobster anyway? I discovered them on 1 website, Blue Zoo Aquatics and they seem to have some pretty bad reviews so any other options?

Also if this is a absolutely horrible idea please let me know, I am just getting into to reef keeping more and never have had any experience with lobsters.

Lobsters are territorial. They may go after bottom dwellers and inverts.

You can do a species only tank.

Liveaquaria.com sells them

Archived