Top Shelf Aquatics

New and wanting advice on starting tank.

zohar78

After a rough couple years,  change of city, 2 hip surgeries leading to hip replacement at 35.   I like to get back into the aquarium world.  And thinking of this time going salt.  I stopped in at a reef LFS, and looks like they don't have to bad of a deal going on with  the coralreef biocube 32g led.  The deal/kit, Tank, Stand, sand, rocks, water, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish (I'm not 100% sure, but I know it wasnt the normal clownfish.  The tank is pretty neat... I like the more straight forward and simple nature of it.   

To get started it looks like I also need 1) thermometer, 2) Hydrometer, 3) Water testing kit, 4) Heater, 5) fish food, 6) 1 5g bucket with lid, 7) Container to store 5 gallons of extra salt water for top off/water changes. 8) turkey baster for food more direct food delivery fish and critters  Does that sound about right?   

I know soon after I will want/should get to help with tank 1) protein skimmer, 2) wave/gyre water flow power head (mp10 or gyre 130/230). 

I don't plan on getting corals 

right away. and I'm fine on a lightly stocked tank.I figured I would do just a reefless setup and add corals later. Fish, rock, sand, cleaning crew.  then once ive tank is established and I have a better understanding of the salt nature, I can advance to the coral stages..

I'm biased and after having a few different all in ones I'd avoid the biocube, they come with everything, and all of it needs upgrading other than the glass. You can ask @Derrick1980 but you DO NOT top off with salty water. Only non salty, trusted rodi, or distilled from the grocer or cvs type place. Go for a refractometer not a hydrometer. I like the finnex titanium heaters but you do what you do with that one. 

Oh, and test kits, API are junk, even for a cycle. 

ah yeah for some odd reason this keeps leaving my mind:  plain water itself evaporates but salt doesn't. 

tip my hat sir, thanks.     

what  AIOs do you recommend?

I like IM AIO sort of.  Personally, an AIO is great for starting out, but sumped tanks are the best and ultimately you will probably want to go that route.  But IM (innovative marine) AIOs are okay.  I am happy with them but they do not come with lights and you will need to upgrade the pump.  But the chambers are decebt sized and the tanks are so popular that its easy to find add ons.

hmmm...    I do have (atleast If my dad hasn't sold it while I was hurt  and buried behind family stuff from 3 houses since we moved in his old house which he still owns) a 20 plus year old 40g breeder and stand, 55g, 29g, tank.  Not drilled though.  I wonder if it would be cheaper/better to outfit the 40.       I favor the 40 (would also make a hell of a amazon/river bio tank) due to its low height  but wide footprint.    The lighting itself can be crazy expensive.       

gone_PHiSHin

the light should be almost 50% of the cost of starting up a tank...go big on the light IMO

i love the size of a 40 breeder.  i'm a big fan of shallow(er) tanks.  i'd go with that given those options

i also love the simplicity of nano AIOs.  put a great light on a small tank, practice great husbandry and water quality, and enjoy the small, simple water changes once it's a little mature.  more time to enjoy the intimate tank, less time messing with equipment and maintenance B)

gone_PHiSHin
7 minutes ago, metrokat said:

You could potentially join the Nano-Reef Contest happening right now with other community members. Can't think of a better way to dive in. :)

nice plug :D

the IM14P is a great tank IMO

2 hours ago, lkoechle said:

I like IM AIO sort of.  Personally, an AIO is great for starting out, but sumped tanks are the best and ultimately you will probably want to go that route.  But IM (innovative marine) AIOs are okay.  I am happy with them but they do not come with lights and you will need to upgrade the pump.  But the chambers are decebt sized and the tanks are so popular that its easy to find add ons.

I just like that they sell an all in one without all the crap that you're gonna trash and upgrade anyway. Just a tank with a shit pump you can use to mix salt. 

@metrokat is basically sponsored by marine depot, with the freebies and whatsits, so take it with a grain. 

Plus one on the lights. Just get enough for what you wanna keep eventually, don't get shit lights to upgrade later. 

2 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

I just like that they sell an all in one without all the crap that you're gonna trash and upgrade anyway. Just a tank with a shit pump you can use to mix salt. 

@metrokat is basically sponsored by marine depot, with the freebies and whatsits, so take it with a grain. 

Plus one on the lights. Just get enough for what you wanna keep eventually, don't get shit lights to upgrade later. 

Hey! don't talk about Kat like that! She started here and MD loved her so much (because she's awesome) she gets a ton free shit, you know, for being awesome.  Don't you bash Kat!

2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Hey! don't talk about Kat like that! She started here and MD loved her so much (because she's awesome) she gets a ton free shit, you know, for being awesome.  Don't you bash Kat!

Not a bash at all, more like a disclaimer. 

No like for actual advice?

But back on topic, @zohar78 , if you're wanting to really dive in, we have a contest starting on May 10th.  100 days of nanos.  A few new people are doing it. @Coral_chef will be doing his first tank via this contest.  You start with the same equipment package as everyone else. :)

3 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

But back on topic, @zohar78 , if you're wanting to really dive in, we have a contest starting on May 10th.  100 days of nanos.  A few new people are doing it. @Coral_chef will be doing his first tank via this contest.  You start with the same equipment package as everyone else. :)

Just get better lights and pretend you got the contest lights though. 

I agree about the contest being a great way to start - the tank size is nice, and speaking as someone who has it taunting them from their bedroom desk, it's super pleasing to the eye! We'll all have tank threads detailing our setups/plans, and I know a couple of us have already started posting photos of progress (live rock, things set aside, etc). There'll be tons of involvement and plenty of people to ask for help! :)  

30 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

It is my first tank but I'm still going to win!!

Many ppl have biocubes and like them a lot. Most start out with the stock kit and eventually upgrade, if they choose to. The lighting is good for soft and lps corals. 

Adding a powerhead is a good idea because usually the stock pumps don't offer enough flow.

Innovative Marine is nice but down side is you will need to buy a light and that will cost you if you ever plan on corals.

The theory is that everyone will upgrade and want sps. Its not necessarily true. Many are happy with what they have and enjoy letting it grow to its full glory.

I've had 4 reef tanks- never upgraded to a sump nor want to. I just did sps in my 4th tank and they can be a pain in the a$& even when you are dedicated and diligent.

Good heaters are: eheim jagger, cobalts neotherm, and aqueon pro.

Definitely get a refractometer, hydrometers are just not reliable.

Api is fine for cycle but for alk, ca, phosphates, and mag definitely salifert or red sea. 

Buckets- at least 2

Gravel vacuum

Turkey baster

Tooth brush

Towels

Algae scrubbers- i love the flip mag!

Salt

Food

3 hours ago, lkoechle said:

wait, how do we all start with the same equipment package?

17 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

wait, how do we all start with the same equipment package?

In the nano-reef 100day contest thread 

20 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

I haven't gotten anything for free from Marine Depot. Ever. 

Haters gonna hate. Come at me bro.

5e5.jpg

:lol:

20 hours ago, lkoechle said:

:D They love me lots. That is fo sho. But I pay for my shit. Uh huh.

2 hours ago, metrokat said:

I haven't gotten anything for free from Marine Depot. Ever. 

Haters gonna hate. Come at me bro.

5e5.jpg

:lol:

:D They love me lots. That is fo sho. But I pay for my shit. Uh huh.

Eyes rolling so hard I gotta bad cramp. 

Just hope you deleted before @Derrick1980 ruined it for all of us. 

Just the top google hit, I can find more if you like. 

1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

Eyes rolling so hard I gotta bad cramp. 

Just hope you deleted before @Derrick1980 ruined it for all of us. 

Just the top google hit, I can find more if you like. 

Why are you such a dick? 

Seriously the derrick1980 thing is old. Troll or not who cares get over yourself. This forum has some awesome people and you seem to just like to stir the pot. Why?  

26 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Seriously the derrick1980 thing is old. Troll or not who cares get over yourself. This forum has some awesome people and you seem to just like to stir the pot. Why?  

Says the racist mouse. Lol. 

Archived