Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hawaii 2-0 : Red Sea Reefer Nano : Our second slice of paradise

moosubi

Pretty fun project!  I picked up a BRS mini reactor, but running a third pump in the sump added too much heat.  Perfect excuse to try out the RO Varios 2!  It's pretty dang silent, even more so than the Sicce 2.0 that was already in there.  Plumbed just a single T out to send flow through the reactor.  Once I get my hands on an external ATO, probably going to grow some chaeto in the existing ATO container.  The sump was a lot tighter than I thought, and my initial plumbing plan didn't work out, but with some clever shuffling of fittings, I got something to work perfectly :)

lQCJEsz.jpg

Added bonus, Hermie the Electric Blue Hermit picked himself a new shell tonight!

1hUfjSx.jpg

• Like 3

New frags on WC day eh?

GBTA:

yhuwHDZ.jpg

Goni:

qxrNfMu.jpg

Leather:

zK1wpbU.jpg

Candy Cane:

Q7qzcpG.jpg

Montis:

e1P4BTa.jpg

Tank is coming along!  Saving up for an Osmolator, then plumbing the ATO into a fuge :)

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, moosubi said:

New frags on WC day eh?

GBTA:

yhuwHDZ.jpg

Goni:

qxrNfMu.jpg

Leather:

zK1wpbU.jpg

Candy Cane:

Q7qzcpG.jpg

Montis:

e1P4BTa.jpg

Tank is coming along!  Saving up for an Osmolator, then plumbing the ATO into a fuge :)

Very nice additions!!!

• Like 1

Thing 1 and Thing 2! :lol: I love it!  I used to have a land hermit named Hermie as a kid.  Tank's shaping up very nicely!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Very nice additions!!!

Thank you!

10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Thing 1 and Thing 2! :lol: I love it!  I used to have a land hermit named Hermie as a kid.  Tank's shaping up very nicely!

Heh, our Starry Blenny looks like the Lorax, so my wife is rolling with the Dr. Suess themes :)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, moosubi said:

Thank you!

Heh, our Starry Blenny looks like the Lorax, so my wife is rolling with the Dr. Suess themes :)

I love Dr. Seuss!  There are worse themes to be had... :lol:

Got my locline and return modified today, super easy and definitely helps me put flow where I want it especially with my MP10 on the back wall.

of5gC1G.jpg?4

• Like 1
mtmurphy85

How does the varios fit in the pump section, thought spec wise its larger than what is stated on the Red Sea Nano? I'm looking to add the same type pump cause I want to pump my brs reactor in the same manner as you have, would you be able to post a picture of the return section ? I know it's going to be a tight fit with the skimmer in there ? And how are you liking your skimmer ?

The Varios-2 fits perfect in there, takes up about half of the return section. I run it at 60%, thinking about maybe putting a small surge mode in when my MP10 switches to nutrient mode.

Ill snap a pic of the plumbing tomorrow, though I got some new fittings to change it up a bit. 

Its pretty tight down in the sump. If i were to hard plumb again I would reduce to 3/4 right out of the pump since the Red Sea return line is 3/4 anyway. The 1" piping I used takes up a lot of space, but it works the way it is. 

The skimmer is working ok, I'm getting a pretty wet skim out of it  though and it seems like most of the poop stays in the top of the bubble chamber. Tuning up just a bit gives me a really wet skim so I'm just rolling with it like it is. At least it's not floating around in the water column :P

23 hours ago, mtmurphy85 said:

How does the varios fit in the pump section, thought spec wise its larger than what is stated on the Red Sea Nano? I'm looking to add the same type pump cause I want to pump my brs reactor in the same manner as you have, would you be able to post a picture of the return section ? I know it's going to be a tight fit with the skimmer in there ? And how are you liking your skimmer ?

Here's some images of the return area.  The float opens enough for the ATO to work, though I'm going to plumb an external ATO here in the next few months.  That should help me stabilize the water level in the return area better as I'd like to move my probes there.  Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Like 2
mtmurphy85

Talk about snug fit with all that equipment!! I love it .  Eventually when I get some more cash my to buy list inculudes a new varios 2 return pump and another tunze ato and ditch the stock ato and or turn it into a fuge

• Like 1

Got my hands on a free IceCap K2-50 and had to try it out :P

So far so good, this thing is tiny!  Allowed me to really clean out the sump, definitely not so crowded in there anymore...

mvR3ycn.jpg

Also, new toys :)

gNeueMZ.jpg?1

• Like 3
mtmurphy85

Looks good, if you decide to sell the RO skimmer keep me in mind lol, I bought the k2-50 but it was missing parts and the bubble plate is set up wrong which is frustrating 

• Like 1

It is actually up for sale locally, cause shipping that box is probably spendy... but if you're willing to ship it, send me a pm :)

bummer about your k2-50. Mine was new in box missing the connection from pump to Skimmer, coralvue sent out a the piece, received in two days. I don't feel like the build quality is as nice as the RO, but I like the overall fit and function better. 

• Like 1

What do you do with an electric blue hermit that likes to topple and pinch corals?  Give him away?  Or use him as an excuse for an office tank? :P Always wanted one of these Nuvo 10s

l4WM1Ug.jpg

Edited by moosubi
less potato quality photo
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...