inTank Media Baskets

Help with shelf bracing debate

lkoechle

With the walls right there, you could screw a support beam under the counter top right into the studs.  It would help a little, but the weight would be on the screws, not the floor.

Edit:

With it built into the wall, a granite top would just add more weight.  It would have worked for a free standing cabinet.

3 minutes ago, seabass said:

With the walls right there, you could screw a support beam under the counter top right into the studs.  It would help a little, but the weight would be on the screws, not the floor.

I dont think weight on the screws will be that big of a deal since we are probably talking 160lbs plus the actual weight of the shelf tops. If i only use 4 long screws on each side (8 total), its like 25-30 lbs per screw... right?

Just now, skoechle said:

I dont think weight on the screws will be that big of a deal since we are probably talking 160lbs plus the actual weight of the shelf tops. If i only use 4 long screws on each side (8 total), its like 25-30 lbs per screw... right?

Right.  It's not really that much per screw.

1 minute ago, skoechle said:

screws into the wall studs should be fine for this weight, It is the bowing of the wood in the middle that you have to worry about.

2 minutes ago, Boggers said:

screws into the wall studs should be fine for this weight, It is the bowing of the wood in the middle that you have to worry about.

Yeah, i will definitely be bracing across the center. The only complication o see is not really being able to build out the brace and dropping it in place as a single piece. Depends on what @lkoechle says I'm allowed to do

I understand that complication. You should be able to put the cross brace I did a mock up for and drill in place without removing the top. (leaving it all in place)

It will be tight to get a drill under there, but not impossible.

2 minutes ago, Boggers said:

I understand that complication. You should be able to put the cross brace I did a mock up for and drill in place without removing the top. (leaving it all in place)

It will be tight to get a drill under there, but not impossible.

I just bought this a few days ago, i expect it to help a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013UBXU3E/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could screw a couple of blocks to the wall studs (just under the counter top).  Then screw a center brace to the blocks.

brace.jpg.e0cbfead37644ee9d1b060dd50feecb3.jpg

Paint it white, and you won't even notice it.

Why you are at it, I'd add a brace to the back wall too.  Put the back brace in first, then the side blocks, and then the center brace.  You will likely have to remove the existing supports, in favor of the heavier duty braces.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I think @skoechle and I are going to see if we can pop to the top and do a merging of ideas from @Boggers and @seabass since the ideas can also be done if we cant remove the top.  I will post a follow up after we've completed for prosterity.

Or you know, I might just delete this entired thread. "If it goes south."

I say just fill the tank and see what happens........you would be surprised what holds. I had a IM10 on a simple table that was not to sturdy but had no issues.

1 hour ago, spectra said:

I say just fill the tank and see what happens........you would be surprised what holds. I had a IM10 on a simple table that was not to sturdy but had no issues.

This is my theory.  @skoechle is far less impulsive than me. lol

You know what, I'm just going to delete this whole thread! My reputation has been ruined!

... Hey, guys, the delete button's not working!

On 4/28/2017 at 10:58 AM, NanoSteve said:

You could load test it! But I don't think it will stand the static load for 100 days without failing or bowing.

I would start with sitting your youngest child on it... If that holds take off youngest and put oldest child... If that holds sit youngest child with oldest child... If that holds take off both children, Summon @skoechle (For safety reasons;)) and then @lkoechle stands on it! If it holds, proceed to high 5!:)

15 hours ago, spectra said:

Well after further offline discussion, we load tested it starting with myself and adding family members up to about a total of 360 lbs (small children really dont add much). Looks like no reinforcement for me...

Archived