Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Derrick's 26g Bowfront

Derrick1980

3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That's the problem with the deleted posts...... if you read this it seems as if we were/are being bullies and assholes. We all tried again and again and talked him out of leaving again and again. After he began to talk about watching them die and how fun it will be and then talking about how high his post count was getting we gave up and began to use it as entertainment ...... playing with trolls as it were.  

Hmmm, I actually missed that too. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That's the problem with the deleted posts...... if you read this it seems as if we were/are being bullies and assholes. We all tried again and again and talked him out of leaving again and again. After he began to talk about watching them die and how fun it will be and then talking about how high his post count was getting we gave up and began to use it as entertainment ...... playing with trolls as it were.  

Is that what happened a couple nights ago? @1891Bro sent me to a thread asking if I had seen it but it was deleted by the morning

Just now, lkoechle said:

Is that what happened a couple nights ago? 

It's been going on since he joined. People were helping and encouraging in the beginning. Then when he got a few comments he didn't like he would delete the thread and start fresh with a new one the next day. Over about a week it started to spin out of control. 

2 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Is that what happened a couple nights ago? @1891Bro sent me to a thread asking if I had seen it but it was deleted by the morning

Guess I went to bed too early. I missed the killing stuff. I did fully participate in troll trolling though. 

1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

Guess I went to bed too early. I missed the killing stuff. I did fully participate in troll trolling though. 

it was something like "well at least watching them die will be entertaining" or something along those lines.  

He had ALOT of threads going at once.  

Just now, WV Reefer said:

it was something like "well at least watching them die will be entertaining" or something along those lines.  

He had ALOT of threads going at once.  

Yeah I thought I had hit em all. Oh well. Today's a new day and I haven't even cracked a beer yet. 

Just now, 1891Bro said:

Yeah I thought I had hit em all. Oh well. Today's a new day and I haven't even cracked a beer yet. 

We were having fun with it by that point because we knew what we were dealing with. 

I just don't want the newcomers to this situation thinking we singled him out to attack for no reason. He took it there and we chased him down. 

On 4/28/2017 at 1:18 PM, Derrick1980 said:

It doesn't matter.  Because of what all has been said and done, my good reputation here is gone. 

Truthfully, all of us come here with a neutral reputation.  It's what we do after that which determines what people think of us.  Fortunately, once someone has hit rock bottom, there's only one way to go from there, and that's up.  If you demonstrate by your actions (not just your words) that you are making changes in your attitude and behavior and demonstrate a genuine concern for the well-being of the creatures in your care by only purchasing things that are suited to your tank and researching before every purchase and not making impulse purchases, you will start the long road of building a positive reputation.  I promise (as I've said before) that Nano-Reef's community is one of the most laid-back, kindest and most humble reef communities on the web.  Some of the reactions you've seen here are very mild compared to what you would have experienced elsewhere (think poblano pepper versus habanero or hotter ;)).

One thing that was suggested to every noob when I was starting out was to read the book, "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist," in hopes that it would help develop a sense of stewardship and caring for the livestock in our care.  I might suggest you seek this book out yourself and read it.

23 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I've been silent on this the entire time, but you don't start off with a good reputation. You earn it. I'm not into belittling you on this or that. I don't want to do that. I have not earned any reputation in this community. Maybe I will eventually, but I will do that by creating a thriving 10 gallon ecosystem. To start that, I've asked a ton of questions. Listened a lot. And researched subjects way to long. And I'm just waiting for the day when I make a mistake and my tank crashes for it. I'll hopefully be prepared though. 

The fact that you don't know to top off with FW or even use RODI water is a huge red flag. Research the basics. Don't trust your LFS anymore because they obviously just want to make some quick money on your dime.

This.  I spent months to a year researching before I joined this site and didn't start my first tank for a few months after that.  Researching EVERYTHING will save you money, frustration and heartache, and if you're not sure about something, you've got a great community here you can run things by.  There's a number of articles on this site that, though old, contain a wealth of information for you. 

I get being an impulsive person for whom patience does not come easily, but in this hobby, you've got to cultivate patience or you will have problems, if not immediately, then certainly down the road.  Like I've said before, only bad things happen fast in this hobby!

---

I missed the posts bragging about watching critters die.  I gotta say, watching any of my pets die even through no fault of my own has always been a painful experience, feeling helpless to change things or make it better.  I can't imagine finding it funny or entertaining. :(

5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Truthfully, all of us come here with a neutral reputation.  It's what we do after that which determines what people think of us.  Fortunately, once someone has hit rock bottom, there's only one way to go from there, and that's up.  If you demonstrate by your actions (not just your words) that you are making changes in your attitude and behavior and demonstrate a genuine concern for the well-being of the creatures in your care by only purchasing things that are suited to your tank and researching before every purchase and not making impulse purchases, you will start the long road of building a positive reputation.  I promise (as I've said before) that Nano-Reef's community is one of the most laid-back, kindest and most humble reef communities on the web.  Some of the reactions you've seen here are very mild compared to what you would have experienced elsewhere (think poblano pepper versus habanero or hotter ;)).

One thing that was suggested to every noob when I was starting out was to read the book, "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist," in hopes that it would help develop a sense of stewardship and caring for the livestock in our care.  I might suggest you seek this book out yourself and read it.

This.  I spent months to a year researching before I joined this site and didn't start my first tank for a few months after that.  Researching EVERYTHING will save you money, frustration and heartache, and if you're not sure about something, you've got a great community here you can run things by.  There's a number of articles on this site that, though old, contain a wealth of information for you. 

I get being an impulsive person for whom patience does not come easily, but in this hobby, you've got to cultivate patience or you will have problems, if not immediately, then certainly down the road.  Like I've said before, only bad things happen fast in this hobby!

---

I missed the posts bragging about watching critters die.  I gotta say, watching any of my pets die even through no fault of my own has always been a painful experience, feeling helpless to change things or make it better.  I can't imagine finding it funny or entertaining. :(

He was just trying to be shocking when talking about the animal killing I'm sure..... but the reason he deleted all the threads is because they made HIM look bad, not us. 

Derrick1980
6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

---

Yeah, it isn't funny when a creature dies.  Hell I cried when my bunny died years ago... lol. 

8 minutes ago, Derrick1980 said:

Yeah, it isn't funny when a creature dies.  Hell I cried when my bunny died years ago... lol. 

Aaannd on that note........we out. 

19 hours ago, Derrick1980 said:

I cried when my bunny died years ago... lol

lol?  Really?

I'm inclined to agree with WV Reefer.

Derrick1980

What so now you don't appreciate life?  Whatever.  Y'all can stop giving me advice if u want but I'm sticking with this hobby.  Tried really hard to stop acting like 1891 bro was and be serious.  Looks like you don't want a joker and you don't want serious so what do you want?  Edit: I didn't really cry when the damn rabbit died I'm just trying to fit in with y'all.

People are and continue to try to help you but you are defensive and disregard their concerns and advice.

Its like parents dealing with a teenager who thinks they know everything but have a lot to learn.

Here is some advice:

You should start reading the other beginner threads to get an idea of what ppl are doing to have success and to see the upcoming hurdles and how to deal with them.

- maintenance, theres more to a waterchange than just changing water

- proper topping up of evaporated water

- water testing: once you have corals there is more than nitrates that need regular monitoring

- dosing: when you start adding corals this is almost inevitable and theres a science to it

- go SLOW,  NOTHING good happens fast but everything bad does.

- water quality: the reason you use ro/di or distilled only

- dealing with algaes like hair algae because there isn't a magic cure

- learning about parasites/diseases: prevention and treatment.

Derrick1980
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

People are and continue to try to help you but you are defensive and disregard their concerns and advice.

Its like parents dealing with a teenager who thinks they know everything but have a lot to learn.

Here is some advice:

You should start reading the other beginner threads to get an idea of what ppl are doing to have success and to see the upcoming hurdles and how to deal with them.

- maintenance, theres more to a waterchange than just changing water

- proper topping up of evaporated water

- water testing: once you have corals there is more than nitrates that need regular monitoring

- dosing: when you start adding corals this is almost inevitable and theres a science to it

- go SLOW,  NOTHING good happens fast but everything bad does.

- water quality: the reason you use ro/di or distilled only

- dealing with algaes like hair algae because there isn't a magic cure

- learning about parasites/diseases: prevention and treatment.

Thank you.. I have already had to scrub hair algae.  Dosing.. I will need help with that.  Nothing more will be added to the tank until I'm sure I know what I need to.  I need another test kit for more in-depth testing.  I'm there with the water changes but accept any advice.  Oh and I have to get snails for the puffer.  Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Derrick1980 said:

Thank you.. I have already had to scrub hair algae.  Dosing.. I will need help with that.  Nothing more will be added to the tank until I'm sure I know what I need to.  I need another test kit for more in-depth testing.  I'm there with the water changes but accept any advice.  Oh and I have to get snails for the puffer.  Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Scrubbing the algae in tank will make it spread

Yeah, unfortunately hair algae likes to spread everywhere so I usually take my rocks out to scrub.  Reducing photoperiod and feedings, using ONLY distilled or RO/DI water (both for topoffs and for mixing your saltwater) and increasing frequency of water changes can help reduce the nutrients on which hair algae thrives.  Winning the battle against GHA takes time and effort.

Nixperience

If you don't have a turbo, it's ok to get one of those to add to the tank right now. One of the few things that actually eat green hair algae. 

Derrick1980
11 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

If you don't have a turbo, it's ok to get one of those to add to the tank right now. One of the few things that actually eat green hair algae. 

Yeah there's a few turbos in there :)

13 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

He likes the way the algea sways in the current. 

My bad, he deleted that thread. 

Lol yeah the long stuff coming off the sand bed.. 

Hair algae is no joke. It can take over a tank in no time.

Its beyond aggressive and if its already in the sand bed and rocks- you have some work to do.

5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Hair algae is no joke. It can take over a tank in no time.

Its beyond aggressive and if its already in the sand bed and rocks- you have some work to do.

We lost our first tank to hair algae, we might've saved it, but we were moving soon anyhow.  

I would say since your coral isn't sticking, take out the rocks and give them a bath in hydrogen peroxide and scrub them with a tooth brush.  And consider replacing the sandbed. But you may not want to do too much at once or else you risk cycling again.

There are a few posts here on how to do that.

You could also leave the lights off for a couple days to give your CUC a chance to get ahead on it.  How long is your photoperiod normally?

Derrick1980
13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

You could also leave the lights off for a couple days to give your CUC a chance to get ahead on it.  How long is your photoperiod normally?

Lights come on 8am and go off around 9

Try leaving the lights off for a couple of days, then shortening it to about an 8 hour photoperiod.  That combined with the other things I mentioned should help reduce the algae plague.

Archived