SaltCritters.com

Derrick's 26g Bowfront

Derrick1980

Derrick1980

Hi all.  I have a 26 gallon bowfront.  I have 20 lbs live sand and 33 lbs live rock. Have biopellet reactor, carbon reactor, 2 wavemaking powerheads and a mini skimmer.  In addition I have the HOB filter that came with the tank.  Lighting is Current USA Orbit Marine  Pro. Heater is Fluval and Inkbird to keep it set right.  I have a Current aquachef for auto feeding. The setup is about a month old.  I have 2 clowns, a chromis and saddled Toby puffer, as well as 5 Mexican turbo snails. All of the inhabitants get along fine.  The puffer did nip at the snails when I added them but realized she couldn't get them.  Did water testing today, pH was perfect, ammonia nitrite and nitrate were all 0.  Salinity 1.030.  

IMG_20170408_172908912.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derrick1980
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm torn between trying to help you, and trying to ignore you.  Your disregard for advice and cavalier attitude for livestock is a bit unsettling.  Are you looking for advice, or just starting a tank thread?

The specific gravity is a bit too high.  Did you return the carpet anemone?  If not, it will  almost assuredly crash your tank.  What are you feeding your puffer to wear down its teeth?  Are you aware that their teeth never stop growing?

Looking for advice.  I will consider taking the anemone back.  I am feeding the puffer frozen squid.  I know their teeth grow, I'm going to get some tiny snails.

9 minutes ago, Derrick1980 said:

Looking for advice.

On anything in particular?

My advice in general would be to research first, then ask questions, listen to others advice, and only then purchase something.  For your puffer, place an order with reefcleaners.org for dwarf cerith snails.  John is a great vendor.

Jesus christ. Did you delete TWO more of your threads because you got advice you didn't want to hear?

Here's my advice, in no particular order.

1) Don't use salt water to top off evaporation in your aquarium. Use fresh water, preferably RO/DI or distilled water. You can get distilled water for el-cheapo (cents) at the super market.

2) I would highly recommend taking that carpet anemone back. 

3) Do a bit of research before you add equipment to your tank. Your biopellets is a great example: read up on how they work before setting up a reactor that is packed so full of them that they cannot tumble.

3) Like what's been said previously in your other threads, slow down in adding things to your tank.

43 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Jesus christ. Did you delete TWO more of your threads because you got advice you didn't want to hear?

Here's my advice, in no particular order.

1) Don't use salt water to top off evaporation in your aquarium. Use fresh water, preferably RO/DI or distilled water. You can get distilled water for el-cheapo (cents) at the super market.

2) I would highly recommend taking that carpet anemone back. 

3) Do a bit of research before you add equipment to your tank. Your biopellets is a great example: read up on how they work before setting up a reactor that is packed so full of them that they cannot tumble.

3) Like what's been said previously in your other threads, slow down in adding things to your tank.

The delete-r strikes again. 

Xiaoxiy is right.  Although I missed the thread where it said it was packed full of pellets, you don't have a big enough skimmer to run a biopellet reactor.

Derrick, consider posting less and researching more.  We're more than happy to help people who are actually trying to learn (even with basic questions).  Also, try to be a little more humble; you still have much to learn.

Guys, I get that Derrick has purposely fostered antagonism.  But maybe we shouldn't spill over conflict from his other threads into new ones, as it causes them to spin out of control too.  While the drama might be an interesting read, I don't feel it should be encouraged (although it may be somewhat understandable and/or deserved).

He likes the attention.  I deleted my initial response, as I had second thoughts about contributing to a thread which seemed destined to go south.  However, it was quoted in the few seconds before I deleted it, so I got sucked in again.  Although, I'll continue to help as long as it seems to be constructive.

2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Xiaoxiy is right.  Although I missed the thread where it said it was packed full of pellets, you don't have a big enough skimmer to run a biopellet reactor.

Derrick, consider posting less and researching more.  We're more than happy to help people who are actually trying to learn (even with basic questions).  Also, try to be a little more humble; you still have much to learn.

Guys, I get that Derrick has purposely fostered antagonism.  But maybe we shouldn't spill over conflict from his other threads into new ones, as it causes them to spin out of control too.  While the drama might be an interesting read, I don't feel it should be encouraged (although it may be somewhat understandable and/or deserved).

He likes the attention.  I deleted my initial response, as I had second thoughts about contributing to a thread which seemed destined to go south.  However, it was quoted in the few seconds before I deleted it, so I got sucked in again.  Although, I'll continue to help as long as it seems to be constructive.

I totally agree and disagree.  The thing that helps people on here, especially the anonymous people, is seeing the good and the bad. If you can sanitize your threads no one would ever learn anything. 

We know he's a troll but can't help but state that fact to the people who read his threads and have no idea what came before. 

I prefer my system be stupid simple. Wavemaker, heater, filter. 

I can't offer advice on reactors but the ones with knowledge on the subject already offered their advice.

Your salinity is too high. Fluctuations in salinity is a problem.

It should be 1.025 or 1.026

So either you are:

Topping up with saltwater which is increasing the salinity

Not topping up daily to the correct level

Or

You mixed your saltwater without checking before a waterchange

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

I prefer my system be stupid simple. Wavemaker, heater, filter. 

I can't offer advice on reactors but the ones with knowledge on the subject already offered their advice.

Your salinity is too high. Fluctuations in salinity is a problem.

It should be 1.025 or 1.026

So either you are:

Topping up with saltwater which is increasing the salinity

Not topping up daily to the correct level

Or

You mixed your saltwater without checking before a waterchange

He's topping off with salt. 

Derrick1980
Just now, gone_PHiSHin said:

please tell me that is an old pic and not an updated one with more chromis in it...

Old pic :)  

1 hour ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

please tell me that is an old pic and not an updated one with more chromis in it...

Hiding the nem. 

You gonna pick pick up that starfish today?

gone_PHiSHin

my LFS guy says black tip reef sharks make great tank mates with my tailspot blenny.  i know i only have a 10 gal but he's just a little guy and is so cute.  think he'll survive in there??

Derrick1980
22 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Hiding the nem. 

You gonna pick pick up that starfish today?

I shouldn't add anything else to my tank until it has some time to rest.  One itsy bitsy starfish probably wouldn't hurt but I dunno.

3 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

my LFS guy says black tip reef sharks make great tank mates with my tailspot blenny.  i know i only have a 10 gal but he's just a little guy and is so cute.  think he'll survive in there??

Trying to ruin this journal too?  I am serious.

1 minute ago, Derrick1980 said:

I shouldn't add anything else to my tank until it has some time to rest.  One itsy bitsy starfish probably wouldn't hurt but I dunno.

<_<

Actually Chocolate Chip Stars are pretty easy to keep.  However, they are not reef safe, nor can you keep one with a puffer.

Derrick1980
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Actually Chocolate Chip Stars are pretty easy to keep.  However, they are not reef safe, nor can you keep one with a puffer.

That helps.. I wouldn't have known that.

gone_PHiSHin
Just now, 1891Bro said:

Not until after you bought it anyway.  

:D

1 hour ago, Derrick1980 said:

Trying to ruin this journal too?  I am serious.

no you are trying to ruin this journal, by going against everyone's advice and getting one itsy bitsy starfish even though it was suggested you didn't.  just like it happened in every other thread you deleted.  i am serious. 

Derrick1980
1 minute ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

:D

no you are trying to ruin this journal, by going against everyone's advice and getting one itsy bitsy starfish even though it was suggested you didn't.  just like it happened in every other thread you deleted.  i am serious. 

It doesn't matter.  Because of what all has been said and done, my good reputation here is gone. 

Archived