Pod Your Reef

Top down 28

frahny

Bad news this morning. Woke up and the little snowflake clown was stuck to the inlet to the mp10. He was acting funny after acclimation but I was hoping he would  through. 

I also noticed this ghost ghost skimmer is a micro bubble machine. I have massive amounts of mb's in the display. Even after lowering the water level in the return chamber, putting floss between the skimmer chamber and return and dialing it down.

Just now, frahny said:

Bad news this morning. Woke up and the little snowflake clown was stuck to the inlet to the mp10. He was acting funny after acclimation but I was hoping he would  through. 

Oh no :( poor dude

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

the ghost skimmer needs a little time to 'break in'.  the bubbles will subside.  if you do a search on here there are quite a few people that have that skimmer and there are some tricks to getting rid of the microbubbles, but i don't have the skimmer and can't remember exactly what to do.  i think some people soaked it in vinegar or something?  i'm sure someone will chime in about it, but i'd search it.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

the ghost skimmer needs a little time to 'break in'.  the bubbles will subside.  if you do a search on here there are quite a few people that have that skimmer and there are some tricks to getting rid of the microbubbles, but i don't have the skimmer and can't remember exactly what to do.  i think some people soaked it in vinegar or something?  i'm sure someone will chime in about it, but i'd search it.

Yea from what I read the vinegar sole cuts down on break in time. I may just have to run it for a few more months and hope the subside. I also notice running it on open valve causes a significant amount of bubbles. I have dialed it back and it seems to not be as bad the last few hours.

Got the micro bubbles down and the skimmer dialed in. Also picked up a lens for my iphone 7 from olloclip. Won't give me near the quality you would see with guys like teenyreef but it's not terrible either. 

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123

Hello fellow Nuvo 10/Kessil A80 owner and Hoosier.  :D  I'm just west of you between Danville and Avon.   Are you on INDMAS?   Also you mentioned your LFS is Premium?   I've never been but that seems like quite a drive from Noblesville.  

Looks like you have a great start on your hands.  I will keep following this tread for sure.

I wish I knew the guy you bought your NUVO off of, because I'd love another for my desk.  ;)

• Like 2
16 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Hello fellow Nuvo 10/Kessil A80 owner and Hoosier.  :D  I'm just west of you between Danville and Avon.   Are you on INDMAS?   Also you mentioned your LFS is Premium?   I've never been but that seems like quite a drive from Noblesville.  

Looks like you have a great start on your hands.  I will keep following this tread for sure.

I wish I knew the guy you bought your NUVO off of, because I'd love another for my desk.  ;)

Why hello! Im not in INDMAS but if it's a reef club I'm interested. As for the LFS being premium it was a haul but the only place close other than uncle bills that I have found. Shopping for coral there is like going to the strip club to get laid, your getting some bugs with it?

Thanks for following, if your interested I have another Nuvo10 just sitting in my garage. If you want I'll make you a good deal on it, just collecting dust now:)

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
7 hours ago, frahny said:

Why hello! Im not in INDMAS but if it's a reef club I'm interested. As for the LFS being premium it was a haul but the only place close other than uncle bills that I have found. Shopping for coral there is like going to the strip club to get laid, your getting some bugs with it?

Thanks for following, if your interested I have another Nuvo10 just sitting in my garage. If you want I'll make you a good deal on it, just collecting dust now:)

Oh man, there are a couple more spots much closer to you.   Nothing against Premium at all, they are just a haul for you and me.

There is Modern Aquatix in Beech Grove, and Central Indy Aquatics off of Keystone Avenue south of Kessler.

Also INDMAS is a local club you should check out.  Becoming a member you get some nice discounts at local retailers.   ;)  www.indmas.org

As for the NUVO I will have to hold off for a little bit.   Office is changing up a bit and don’t want to have a tank running and then have to move it. 

• Like 1

I will most definitely be checking those out! Not quite sure what's going on but I have lost 3 fish in a week. All parameters are rock solid but I keep finding dead fish in the morning. I'm down to the white Wyoming clown. Snowflake died Day 1, cardinal died Day 4 and royal gramma died Day 5. Not promising for the lone survivor since I'm leaving for a week on vacation..... 

Hopefully he makes it and I don't have a predator in the tank.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
14 hours ago, frahny said:

I will most definitely be checking those out! Not quite sure what's going on but I have lost 3 fish in a week. All parameters are rock solid but I keep finding dead fish in the morning. I'm down to the white Wyoming clown. Snowflake died Day 1, cardinal died Day 4 and royal gramma died Day 5. Not promising for the lone survivor since I'm leaving for a week on vacation..... 

Hopefully he makes it and I don't have a predator in the tank.

Oh man that is a bummer!   Had they been eating?  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, frahny said:

Sure had, very bizarre. 

Fish AIDS bro. Need fish rubbers. 

Edit: Don't actually rub the fish. I think you get the point. 

• Like 3
SURVEYMAN46123

That's a damn bummer man.  Hope you get things figured out.  I had bad luck with my two grammas.  One died within a day and the other passed because of ich.   My tank has been fallow since then.  However I think next weekend we are going to get a tailspot blenny.  ?

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin
14 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

However I think next weekend we are going to get a tailspot blenny.  ?

do it!!  still one of my favorites

sorry to hear of the fish woes OP, that's obviously never fun.  maybe you just added too much too fast?  that was a heavy bioload for a 10 gal IMO.  i think you shouldn't have more than 2-3 fish in this tank, especially if two of those are clowns. 

On 6/25/2017 at 2:03 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

do it!!  still one of my favorites

sorry to hear of the fish woes OP, that's obviously never fun.  maybe you just added too much too fast?  that was a heavy bioload for a 10 gal IMO.  i think you shouldn't have more than 2-3 fish in this tank, especially if two of those are clowns. 

Yea that's possible. I checked parameters and I saw a slight rise in No3 but nothing crazy. There is a worm or grading tentacle of some sort in the back of the tank under a rock. That's where I found 2 of the dead. Not sure if that would make sense or not but we are going to add more coral and then a fish or two and see how that works. 

On 6/24/2017 at 11:09 PM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

That's a damn bummer man.  Hope you get things figured out.  I had bad luck with my two grammas.  One died within a day and the other passed because of ich.   My tank has been fallow since then.  However I think next weekend we are going to get a tailspot blenny.  ?

For sure, I had a tailspot for almost 2 years in a 15 gallon I took down a while back. Super cool fish. 

On 5/9/2017 at 10:42 PM, Type-H20 said:

I've had 2 bare bottom tanks and one with sand - I prefer bb because its easier to keep clean, but sand looks more natural.

I'm digging the black sand.  Is it hard to keep clean?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stoppay said:

I'm digging the black sand.  Is it hard to keep clean?

Not at all, I vacuum it once a week but it's stays pretty clean. I also have 3 cerith snails that barely surface anymore.

On 6/24/2017 at 9:33 PM, 1891Bro said:

Fish AIDS bro. Need fish rubbers. 

Edit: Don't actually rub the fish. I think you get the point. 

Good news, my condoms fit the fish so I can kill two birds! Great idea!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

good kind or bad kind?  i think i have some in my tank too

From what I have read they are filter feeders that feed on pods. But if those little bastards start messing with my zoas I'll break out a flame thrower on the tank.

or just get a pink streaked wrasse

1 hour ago, frahny said:

From what I have read they are filter feeders that feed on pods. But if those little bastards start messing with my zoas I'll break out a flame thrower on the tank.

or just get a pink streaked wrasse

Just don't get the PSW shipped via UPS or you might end up with the box stuck in the warehouse all weekend and be waiting all day for it to finally arrive like I am today. :angry:

• Like 2
  • frahny changed the title to That new new 28