Jump to content
Raheeeelio

ID frag help please!

Recommended Posts

Raheeeelio

I have a 28 gallon JBJ nano cube. The guys at my LFS gave me this frag plug yesterday for free and I can't figure out what it is!! I want to make it grow and live, but I need to first figure out what it is. I asked the guy at my LFS and all he said was "it's just a soft polyp". So any ideas will help! I'm fairly new to reef tanks (it's been a couple years at least since my last one), so forgive me if it's something basic or easy! Also, some ideas on where to place it? It's currently sitting in my sand bed next to rock. Does it need more lighting? Also, is it supposed to have its stem up like that? Is it trying to raise itself to get more light? Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your help!

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Looks like palythoa polyps

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Raheeeelio
19 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Looks like palythoa polyps

Thank you. That's what I was thinking too. How fast do they grow? And any tips on growing them?

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

They are like weeds. They can take over. I wouldn't put them on a main rock.

 

Please read on paly's, there is a toxin palythoa toxin and they need to be handled with care. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Raheeeelio
14 hours ago, Clown79 said:

They are like weeds. They can take over. I wouldn't put them on a main rock.

 

Please read on paly's, there is a toxin palythoa toxin and they need to be handled with care. 

Will they grow if the frag plug is covered in the sand bed? Or does it need to be exposed a little? It is near my front main rock. And I have heard about the toxin. The guy at my LFS even told me about how he ate after handling them and ended up getting sick.

Share this post


Link to post
Simulated Fish
1 hour ago, Raheeeelio said:

Will they grow if the frag plug is covered in the sand bed? Or does it need to be exposed a little? It is near my front main rock. And I have heard about the toxin. The guy at my LFS even told me about how he ate after handling them and ended up getting sick.

 

.... Why would he not wash his hands?! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Raheeeelio

LOL exactly what I said

Any advice on growing that frag into a colony though?

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

It will grow into a colony on its own, believe me, you won't need to do anything.

 

Most ppl try to get rid of them and can't

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
jambon

Be aware of the toxin... wear gloves if you handle it. If you have an open sore it won't be good.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...