Coral Vue Hydros

Nitrogen cycle

Jvega214

Hey everyone! So I setup a 12g Nano Cube with 10 lbs caribsea live sand and about 10lbs live rock (probably had major die off since it was in a bucket without heat/circulation for about 3 weeks). I know about the nitrogen cycle because I waited about 4-5 weeks when I setup my 55g. My question is... Does the cycle happen much quicker with a nano like this? Here are my readings so far:

Day 3 4/20
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

Day 5 4/22
Ammonia: 0

Day 8 4/25
Ph:?
Nitrate: 20

Could it be possible this tank is already cycled, or am I just being impatient? I also put a small shrimp in there to see if I could get Ammonia readings and still no detectable Ammonia.

Snapchat-1649129647.jpg

7 hours ago, Jvega214 said:

Hey everyone! So I setup a 12g Nano Cube with 10 lbs caribsea live sand and about 10lbs live rock (probably had major die off since it was in a bucket without heat/circulation for about 3 weeks). I know about the nitrogen cycle because I waited about 4-5 weeks when I setup my 55g. My question is... Does the cycle happen much quicker with a nano like this? Here are my readings so far:

Day 3 4/20
Ammonia: .5

Day 5 4/22

Day 8 4/25
Ph:?
Nitrate: 20

Could it be possible this tank is already cycled, or am I just being impatient? I also put a small shrimp in there to see if I could get Ammonia readings and still no detectable Ammonia.

Snapchat-1649129647.jpg

With live rock and live sand you may not have much of a cycle.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

With live rock and live sand you may not have much of a cycle.  

I agree. I did a small water change last night to get the Nitrate's down. I think I'm going to start with the stocking process soon.

• 2 months later...
trumpredmr

I used 10 pounds(ish) of Pukani dry rock and a bag and a half of live wet sand. Been about 10 days. Used Bio-Spira to cycle and bottled ammonia (from Dr. Tim, used it for my freshwater tanks). Still not getting any readings whatsoever. Have three hermit crabs I added two days ago and nothing else. I'm patient. I know it's not cycled yet, just wondering how long till I get readings. I don't think no readings means it cycled, these things take time I know. Thoughts?

IMG_6281.JPG

Most likely cycled. If you had the rock in a bucket prior to adding it, that may have helped.

i had mine in a bucket because i got the rock before the tank and after adding it my tank was completely cycled in a week. I had very low readings.

Liverock tends to cycle a tank pretty fast.

I would remove the shrimp.

All it will do is add unwanted nutrients to the tank.