Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

PLEASE READ!!need advice asap while my frags are aclimating

Milky Way

Good evening everyone,

Need help asap while my frags are acclimating.

I've just purchased 10frags for 65$ from a local reefer.

Most of those frags have green hair algae on it,

What is the best way to remove it???

I don't have refugium or quarantine.

Do you have any ideas???i don't want to turn the lights on today. for how should i wait before turning them on???

18191493_1888045631458403_277385044_n-2.jpg

Okinawa_Reefer

Manually remove as much as you possibly can. If possible, you can remove the frags from the plugs and glue them directly into your rock scape. You should be dipping the corals as well, though I'm not sure if a dip will kill algae. Maybe someone else could chime in

I would remove the frags from the plugs and either put them on new plugs (that you have) or glue them to the rock work.  You can also try scrubbing it off after you've removed them.  I don't know if any dip kills algae.  But you should be dipping regardless.  CoralRX and Seachem ReefDip are my prefferred.  I do CoralRX, then ReefDip, then swish in clean saltwater and put it in. You're not going to ruin your tank by not dipping once (most likely), but it's a good practice to prevent any bad stuff riding in on coral. :) 

11 minutes ago, Okinawa_Reefer said:

Manually remove as much as you possibly can. If possible, you can remove the frags from the plugs and glue them directly into your rock scape. You should be dipping the corals as well, though I'm not sure if a dip will kill algae. Maybe someone else could chime in

i did dip it ME coral dip 4x concentrate. I think it was too strong for this type of corals, they look different after diping. 

Candy cane turned a little bit brown.

This is my first time getting any type of corals.....im so frustrated 

18143037_1888056631457303_629571125_n.jpg

18190785_1888056598123973_1019963168_n.jpg

18159811_1888056624790637_184447655_o.jpg

Its stressful adding new things to a tank IMO.  If you followed the directions, I'm sure they'll be fine.  All corals look pissed after a dip :)

Just now, lkoechle said:

Its stressful adding new things to a tank IMO.  If you followed the directions, I'm sure they'll be fine.  All corals look pissed after a dip :)

ahahah it is really stressful . My tank is super clean, i've never had any algae. I'm afraid that green hair will multiply and get over my tank. i have phosguard in my filter media just in case. 

Should i turn the lights tomorrow or should i wait for 1 more day??????

Just now, Milky Way said:

ahahah it is really stressful . My tank is super clean, i've never had any algae. I'm afraid that green hair will multiply and get over my tank. i have phosguard in my filter media just in case. 

Should i turn the lights tomorrow or should i wait for 1 more day??????

As long as you don't overfeed you should be fine.  I would follow your normal lighting schedule.  Do you have any CUC?  Because your grazers should take care of the remaining hair algae.  Personally, I would remove as much of it as I can (with a toothbrush or something) or remove the coral from the plug and then not worry about it.  Your CUC should be able to handle a tiny bit and with phos gaurd, you're doubly protected from an outbreak.  I would follow whatver your normal schedule it. 

Your fine.  Your CUC is probably hungry from the looks anyways :)

7 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

As long as you don't overfeed you should be fine.  I would follow your normal lighting schedule.  Do you have any CUC?  Because your grazers should take care of the remaining hair algae.  Personally, I would remove as much of it as I can (with a toothbrush or something) or remove the coral from the plug and then not worry about it.  Your CUC should be able to handle a tiny bit and with phos gaurd, you're doubly protected from an outbreak.  I would follow whatver your normal schedule it. 

Your fine.  Your CUC is probably hungry from the looks anyways :)

thank you very much for your advice! 

I've removed zoos from plugs but there are hair algae right between the polyps. It's almost impossible to remove it and not damaging the coral in the same time.

CUC - i have 5 bumble bee snails and blue leg crabs

Just now, 1891Bro said:

H202 will kill the GHA. JUST SPOT TREAT IT with a qtip. Oops caps. 

You are very passionate about peroxide I see...

Just scrub the algae off with a toothbrush outside of the tank and then rinse.

You can also use small amounts of peroxide 3% on the plugs. 

Algae is almost inevitable to get, the thing is aggressively removing aggressive algaes and solving the cause before they take over. 

Archived