Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mangrove roots

Nixperience

Nixperience

I was thinking about planting mangroves in the overflow compartment of IM 30l with chaeto in the roots. If I'm lighting the chaeto at night, would that be bad for the mangrove roots?

Light shouldn't bother it, but the roots are a bit delicate and getting pulled out to trim the cheato might eventually kill the mangrove.

Nixperience
7 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Light shouldn't bother it, but the roots are a bit delicate and getting pulled out to trim the cheato might eventually kill the mangrove.

Even if they aren't touched? I figured I can slide the media basket out, trim the chaeto, and slide it back down. 

their roots, they grow mixed in the cheato. It will become hard to tell where they are and are not. That will take months to a year, but that is the end result. IMO

Nixperience
21 minutes ago, Boggers said:

their roots, they grow mixed in the cheato. It will become hard to tell where they are and are not. That will take months to a year, but that is the end result. IMO

Good thought. I'll be thinking about this one for a tank cycle's worth of time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mangroves roots actually become very strong, so strong they can break glass. They also need room for growth and prefer substrate.

I would think cheato and the mangroves in a small area might impede on the mangroves growth.

It will also be  pain to trim the cheato

Nixperience

Ya. No chaeto. I have the mangroves in the display. There's sand, but it will be a while until the roots reach it. 

Archived