Coral Vue Hydros

Office 2.7 gal Pest Pico

Draco

Thank you :) I am itching to do something with it, but there isn't much more I can do! I am at the max with fish (maybe another trimma), no more room for corals. 

Maybe another invert, but that may be pushing it too I think.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much exciting to report. Everything is steadily growing, especially the GSP.

I found my YCG, Minion, is extremely aggressive. He goes after anything alive I put in the tank. He killed off the trimmas I had. He chased and killed off a large shrimp. So far my other peppermint shrimp is smart and is hiding, but I see Minion going after him when he comes out to get food.

Minion leaves my 3 sexy shrimps alone. Guess they're tiny and stay in one place, they don't bother Minion.

No more friends for Minion!

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:11 AM, Lula_Mae said:

You could always get one of those magnetic frag plug things for the walls and add something there!  Or maybe a macro like dragon's breath?

That's a great idea, I've seen the small ones. I will have to see where I could put it.. my GSP and Clove polyps are growing on the side and back of the glass now

• Like 4

OMG! OMG!!

my trimma goby popped out and said “hey!”. I haven’t seen it in nearly 2 weeks and it’s alive! Alive!!!

so happy to see him alive and fat!

Minion didn’t kill it after all! I should have @Christopher Marks Update my Reef of the Months to include my Trimma 

3DADF0D4-5D7A-403D-9F41-DBF864DF0A12.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This pico is officially over a year old.

And I am itching to change it up. Sell the corals/rocks inside and start over with another theme. Something with more color.

Debating. hmm.

• Sad 1
  • 1 month later...

me too. One day I want to change it, the next day I want to keep it and see which coral will ultimately take the tank, lol

thanks all!

This is the Penn Plax Vertex, right? I decided to pull it out of storage and transfer some of the inhabitants from my 5.5 into it. I had it set up as a pico a couple years ago but haven't used it since, till now.

22 hours ago, Draco said:

me too. One day I want to change it, the next day I want to keep it and see which coral will ultimately take the tank, lol

thanks all!

Im on the same boat right now, ive reached a point where i kinda just want the reef to go wherever it wants (you know youve reached this stage when youve added a frogspawn to a 2 gal) not sure how long my cube will last... probably forever with my maintenance but im so attached to this tank at the same time but equally want a properly scaped mushroom dominated tank Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

On 6/9/2018 at 10:20 AM, Lula_Mae said:

This is the Penn Plax Vertex, right? I decided to pull it out of storage and transfer some of the inhabitants from my 5.5 into it. I had it set up as a pico a couple years ago but haven't used it since, till now.

Yep! Its a great little tank to build around too

On 6/9/2018 at 10:42 AM, TheRope said:

Im on the same boat right now, ive reached a point where i kinda just want the reef to go wherever it wants (you know youve reached this stage when youve added a frogspawn to a 2 gal) not sure how long my cube will last... probably forever with my maintenance but im so attached to this tank at the same time but equally want a properly scaped mushroom dominated tank Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

It's tough!! I've been thinking about mushroom scape too! 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of setting up a 2.6 gallon aquarium- still is dry but I have 90% of the components. 
I was wondering how have you liked the bare bottom? Do you think it helps with parameters? I was about to pick up some sand tomorrow. 

I think most people choose to go bare bottom due to the flow. Sand tend to get blown around. Plus, it's easier to clean debris off the bottom if it's bare.

I really can't comment in the parameters bit. I'm not sure how much of a difference it'd make.

Can't wait to see your tank!

@toastii

On 6/22/2018 at 8:05 AM, toastii said:

I am in the process of setting up a 2.6 gallon aquarium- still is dry but I have 90% of the components. 
I was wondering how have you liked the bare bottom? Do you think it helps with parameters? I was about to pick up some sand tomorrow. 

I had my 5.5 barebottom and I feel like as long as you have a thin layer of sand (under an inch), it's not that much more beneficial to have barebottom.  Plus keeping the bottom clean got to be a pain lol.  Just don't use a thick layer, and keep it clean, and you'll be fine. 

If you do want to try it, you can always add sand later, which is easier than removing it. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Year and half into this pico, it's crashing.

It's my fault as I've been neglecting it. Been so busy at work, I haven't had much time but to top off and feed. Minion, my clown goby, is getting skinny, but he's still feisty. Bob the trimma is still nice and fat. Snails are doing well- I can't locate any of my sexy's, so I think they've perished.

My corals are unhappy, getting brown algae. Tested my water and my nitrates was alarmingly high. Oops. So I came in earlier today to do a 50% water change and added a few drops of NO3PO4-X.

Will have to do another change on Thursday as tomorrow the office is closed.

• Sad 5