Pod Your Reef

Office 2.7 gal Pest Pico

Draco

Hi all!

Been a long time since I've posted here. I've kinda moved away from here when I upgraded to my 75g tank..

I've obtained a 2.7 gal cube for next to nothing and decided to set it up as a pico reef. It is sitting in my cubicle at my job, so excited about this one. I've been itching to start a new reef tank and here it is! This will be the smallest SW tank I've never done.. (smallest was 9 gal, which I absolutely loved and miss). I am looking forward to the challenge!
My goal is to have pest corals- Xenia, Kenya, mushrooms and gsp. Some zoas too. Livestock would be some sort of invert, maybe pompom crab or sexy shrimps, I haven't decided yet. No fish. Of course some CUC.

The filter is the one that came with the tank and is rated for 7 gal. I replaced the filter media with a piece of established sponge from my main tanks sump. I hope the filter and flow will be strong enough. if not, I have a filter for 10 gal and a pump for nanos on standby.

I have this light coming in today or tomorrow. Don't need lights at the moment while the tank cycles.
ABI 12W Tuna Blue LED Bulb Coral Reef Optimized. Spectrum PAR38

Right now I took some rock from my main tank, but will have to get more to fill up. Debating if I want to add sand, or leave it as BB.. what do you guys think?

18157590_10213393610463216_4428306631525025757_n.jpg

• Like 4

Fun idea!  And there's so many types of each that you could get all sorts of color combinations going in there! ;)

I'm running barebottom as I find sand gets everywhere and is kind of a pain.  I'd rather deal with bits of detritus to get rid of when they appear on the bottom.

thats what I was wondering if sand bottom would be just too messy in a tank so small.

I added more rocks earlier. already found an asterina hitchhiker. It'll be good if I decide to get some harlequin shrimp!

IMG_9259.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Draco said:

thats what I was wondering if sand bottom would be just too messy in a tank so small.

I added more rocks earlier. already found an asterina hitchhiker. It'll be good if I decide to get some harlequin shrimp!

IMG_9259.JPG

I have a 2.2 gallon pest tank. I would say go bare. Sand blows everywhere in such a tiny space. 

• Like 3

Got my light last night. I think it may be too blue for my taste but I will sit with it for a while! I like that it's not too bright for my cubicle.

any recommendations on powerhead that isn't expensive or large ? The one I have doesn't work anymore - tried it. And it was too big 

IMG_9263.JPG

IMG_9264.JPG

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Draco said:

Got my light last night. I think it may be too blue for my taste but I will sit with it for a while! I like that it's not too bright for my cubicle.

any recommendations on powerhead that isn't expensive or large ? The one I have doesn't work anymore - tried it. And it was too big 

IMG_9263.JPG

IMG_9264.JPG

I just switched mine out to a Hydor Pico 180. Only about 16 bucks.  I was using a Hydor Koralia 240.... I think.  It was way too much flow in that little cube. 

• Like 1

That's what I had, the Hydor 240. propellers stopped spinning. maybe a good cleaning and I'll use it in my 75g reefs sump.

I will look at the hydor pico. do you like it?

Just now, Draco said:

That's what I had, the Hydor 240. propellers stopped spinning. maybe a good cleaning and I'll use it in my 75g reefs sump.

I will look at the hydor pico. do you like it?

So far I like it. It is much smaller and looks much better in the space. 

not too powerful?

I am talking to a rep at Drs Foster and Smith to figure out what size pumps.. she did not recommend the pump for 2.7 gal cube:

I would not recommend the use of any of these pumps for the 2.7 gallon cube as the Centrifugal 70 has a maximum of 70 gph. If the flow rate on the pump is reduced to much for an extended period of time, this will put back pressure on the pump and shorten the life of the pump.

EDIT: She recommends Azoo powerheads. never heard of this brand.. staying away for now.

EDIT again: I chose this pump, I like it's adjustable: https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Evo-Mag-Circulation-Magnet-Mount/dp/B003UK5CTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493299047&sr=8-1&keywords=hydor+pico+180

19 minutes ago, Draco said:

not too powerful?

I am talking to a rep at Drs Foster and Smith to figure out what size pumps.. she did not recommend the pump for 2.7 gal cube:

EDIT: She recommends Azoo powerheads. never heard of this brand.. staying away for now.

EDIT again: I chose this pump, I like it's adjustable: https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Evo-Mag-Circulation-Magnet-Mount/dp/B003UK5CTG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493299047&sr=8-1&keywords=hydor+pico+180

I think you'll like it.  It's just powerful enough. The Koralia was overkill for me. 

Azoo makes aquarium products but am unsure how their powerheads are.  The little Hydor ones like you got should work fine and the 70gph or whatever should be fine since this is saltwater lol.  It will help break up the directional flow of your filter, if you aim it right.

And yeah, a Koralia would have been way overkill in a little tank like this haha.

thanks all! I hate researching products, lol

My coworker came in with artificial and dead corals that she's collected from her vacations. She expects me to put them in my tank.

I told her yesterday, several times, nothing dead or fake is going in my tank- only live animals. She brings it in anyway.. I guess she doesn't understand the fact I don't want to put that stuff in my tank.  She's just as excited about the tank as I am and I appreciate her taking interest.. I need to find a way not to put it in the tank without hurting her feelings. Ugh. sigh.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Draco said:

thanks all! I hate researching products, lol

My coworker came in with artificial and dead corals that she's collected from her vacations. She expects me to put them in my tank.

I told her yesterday, several times, nothing dead or fake is going in my tank- only live animals. She brings it in anyway.. I guess she doesn't understand the fact I don't want to put that stuff in my tank.  She's just as excited about the tank as I am and I appreciate her taking interest.. I need to find a way not to put it in the tank without hurting her feelings. Ugh. sigh.

Eep!  Uh, nice coworker?  Haha.  Maybe just let her know that the dead stuff can be full of chemicals and nastiness that might kill your tank, and the other stuff will get covered in algae and look gross?

Or uh, maybe surround the tank with her contributions as "around the tank" decorations? :unsure:

• Like 1

I told her dead stuff may carry stuff that could kill my tank.. she insisted that she cleaned it really well in "clean water and bleach".. told her bleach was bad, then she countered with "I only used a little and let it soak in clean water over night".. I can't win with her arguments, lol.

I may leave them outside the tank. at least it's being used? lol

• Like 1

lol I wouldn't let anything that had ever even heard of bleach in my tank! :lol:  I'd definitely want more than one overnight soak in rinse water, also some time in the sun to help neutralize it (at least what's on the surface) lol.  Yeah, outside the tank or nothing is my vote.

I hate it when freshwater people think they know everything about saltwater, lol. just because it may be OK in freshie, doesn't mean it's OK in Saltie! lol.

thank you Kimber!

It's been a long time since I've cycled a tank.. can I get some refreshers please?

Tank's been sitting for 3 days now (today is day 3). I didn't realize I grabbed the LR with my little hitchhiker clam on it from my 75g. Not sure if it's unhappy or dead now since it's closed. The water is too clean for it (As its a filter feeder.). I brought in some reef roids to try to feed him.

Anyway, I've used about 1 lb of LR from my reef tank, 2 lbs of LR from the LFS and 1.5 lb of dry rock. I've also used a piece of sponge from my 75g sump to get some bacteria in.

I did testing this morning, and everything is at 0. I forgot how long it takes to see first signs of cycling? I remember on my 75g, it took less than a week to see diatoms. I am wondering if this little tank will have a cycle or it's been bypassed because of the established LR and sponge I put in?

Just now, Draco said:

It's been a long time since I've cycled a tank.. can I get some refreshers please?

Tank's been sitting for 3 days now (today is day 3). I didn't realize I grabbed the LR with my little hitchhiker clam on it from my 75g. Not sure if it's unhappy or dead now since it's closed. The water is too clean for it (As its a filter feeder.). I brought in some reef roids to try to feed him.

Anyway, I've used about 1 lb of LR from my reef tank, 2 lbs of LR from the LFS and 1.5 lb of dry rock. I've also used a piece of sponge from my 75g sump to get some bacteria in.

I did testing this morning, and everything is at 0. I forgot how long it takes to see first signs of cycling? I remember on my 75g, it took less than a week to see diatoms. I am wondering if this little tank will have a cycle or it's been bypassed because of the established LR and sponge I put in?

With the live stuff in there it should be quick. 

I took the original solid plexi-glass top off the tank since it was building condenstation and blocked light. I cut a hole in the center, glued a piece of screen (leftover from my 75g screen top) over the hole. Took a piece of leftover plexi to cover as much of the back as I can.

it's not the greatest and neatest job, but does what it's supposed to! (The black tape is to hide my ugly gluing job, lol)

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 6

Following along, nice little Penn Plax tank you have there. I have the same tank but as a freshwater planted on my kitchen counter. 

As for flow I am not sure if you said that you already purchased the Pico Mag 180 or not but you could always grab something small like this 80 GPH Pump and see how it works being that it's only $9. I initially used this in my planted tank for flow as well and just created a bit of mixed flow besides the filter.