Top Shelf Aquatics

Nick's 30L Mixed Reef

Nixperience

8 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Ok edited. Let's just forget about that dude. 

Thanks!

Take it easy on the tank it still new...............don't over stock it to quickly remember macro needs nutrients.........

• Like 1
Nixperience
12 minutes ago, spectra said:

Thanks!

Take it easy on the tank it still new...............don't over stock it to quickly remember macro needs nutrients.........

Yes this is true. I was thinking I could feed a little heavier and test my nitrates daily to make sure I have nutrients in the tank. I'll wait on the gracilaria and just work on obtaining the decorative slow exporters. Aside from the codium, all the stock in my tank was all my original stock I had in quarantine until tank was cycled. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Yes this is true. I was thinking I could feed a little heavier and test my nitrates daily to make sure I have nutrients in the tank. I'll wait on the gracilaria and just work on obtaining the decorative slow exporters. Aside from the codium, all the stock in my tank was all my original stock I had in quarantine until tank was cycled. 

I was thinking the same thing on macro and was feeding then heard I did that to and hair algae went nuts........oh the crap we deal with.........

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

I'm thinking about ordering some gracilaria and halimeda from reefcleaners too since their shipping isn't too expensive. I also noticed some yellow yumas at my lfs, so I may add one of those to my Yuma garden 

A yellow yuma would be pretty rad!

Nixperience
Just now, spectra said:

I was thinking the same thing on macro and was feeding then heard I did that to and hair algae went nuts........oh the crap we deal with.........

Lol. It's a balancing game for sure. I think if I have over 15ppm nitrates, I'll add more macro, if I have less, I won't and I'll also postpone waterchange. I'm definitely not doing anything super fast like caulerpa. I do have the tiny bit of chaeto, but that stuff is no big deal. 

Just now, Lula_Mae said:

A yellow yuma would be pretty rad!

Ya. I never really see yellow and he had some. I wanted to get it in the middle while there's still space. Yumas multiply fast. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Lol. It's a balancing game for sure. I think if I have over 15ppm nitrates, I'll add more macro, if I have less, I won't and I'll also postpone waterchange. I'm definitely not doing anything super fast like caulerpa. I do have the tiny bit of chaeto, but that stuff is no big deal. 

Ya. I never really see yellow and he had some. I wanted to get it in the middle while there's still space. Yumas multiply fast. 

I had a couple pretty yellow R. floridas but lost them in my tank crash. :(

Nixperience
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

I had a couple pretty yellow R. floridas but lost them in my tank crash. :(

☹️ Floridas seem a little more sensitive. I do have a Florida in that mix, but I don't plan on getting more. I like yumas much better. 

2 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

☹️ Floridas seem a little more sensitive. I do have a Florida in that mix, but I don't plan on getting more. I like yumas much better. 

Really?  I'd always heard the opposite!  I had good success with rics in my first 5.5--had some gorgeous purples ones from Coral Morphologic.  Haven't really had yumas before, although I always wanted one of Lalani's hot pink baby ones back when hers was reproducing like a rabbit! :lol:

Nixperience
22 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Really?  I'd always heard the opposite!  I had good success with rics in my first 5.5--had some gorgeous purples ones from Coral Morphologic.  Haven't really had yumas before, although I always wanted one of Lalani's hot pink baby ones back when hers was reproducing like a rabbit! :lol:

Just from my experience. They reproduce like crazy. Especially in a dirty tank. 

• Like 1

Looks great!! Macros will utilize ammonia so they're ok in there - but keep an eye out for disintegration. They don't usually do well in New tanks - I've made that mistake more than once :) if you start seeing translucent pieces, cut them back. They disintegrate and add all the nutrients back into your tank. I had a massive hair algae outbreak from that same thing in a new tank I set up last July. It wasn't fun :) 

• Like 2
Nixperience
53 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Looks great!! Macros will utilize ammonia so they're ok in there - but keep an eye out for disintegration. They don't usually do well in New tanks - I've made that mistake more than once :) if you start seeing translucent pieces, cut them back. They disintegrate and add all the nutrients back into your tank. I had a massive hair algae outbreak from that same thing in a new tank I set up last July. It wasn't fun :) 

Thanks. That makes sense. 

• Like 1

yeah true.   its more of a "I'm here to connect to" then a direct bandwidth issue.  Almost every device that has been connected to the internet hacked ( phillips hue lights, next thermostats, connected garage door opener, smart tvs, phones, Xboxes, playstations, ) .  more devices on network, more doors for hackers..    still not going to stop me from getting one of them, though.

• Like 1
Nixperience

9 minutes ago, zohar78 said:

yeah true.   its more of a "I'm here to connect to" then a direct bandwidth issue.  Almost every device that has been connected to the internet hacked ( phillips hue lights, next thermostats, connected garage door opener, smart tvs, phones, Xboxes, playstations, ) .  more devices on network, more doors for hackers..    still not going to stop me from getting one of them, though.

Damn hackers. 

• Like 1
Nixperience

I got a rusty gorgonian, some kind of purple gorgonian, dragons breath, and red grape today for $20. How could I pass that up?

APC_0017.jpg

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

I got a rusty gorgonian, some kind of purple gorgonian, dragons breath, and red grape today for $20. How could I pass that up?

APC_0017.jpg

Nice!!!!

• Like 1
Nixperience

The gorgs already extended polyps within an hour of going in tank. My turbo is on the move. I think he's heading for the dragons breath. I knew I would have to get rid of it once the macros started coming in. 

1 hour ago, Nixperience said:

APC_0017.jpg

Wow, nice deal!

• Like 1
Nixperience

It's been about 4 weeks since I started this tank. I need to stop finding good deals. I picked up a monti cap and a 5 head Duncan colony today for $30. How could I not? Now I have all the stonies that I wanted. I need to wait for my tank to mature before I introduce anemones later. Time to just watch. 

NewTankMay19_zpsevltkhkk.jpg

• Like 9
37 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

It's been about 4 weeks since I started this tank. I need to stop finding good deals. I picked up a monti cap and a 5 head Duncan colony today for $30. How could I not? Now I have all the stonies that I wanted. I need to wait for my tank to mature before I introduce anemones later. Time to just watch. 

NewTankMay19_zpsevltkhkk.jpg

This looks really gorgeous. 

Nixperience

Thanks guys. I'm working on it. It's hard to hold back from killer deals, but I will wait on anemones and work on my macro/nutrient balance in the mean time. 

Nixperience
7 minutes ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Close up of Monti? Looks beautiful :wub:

Best I got is an iPhone pick for now. $10 for this!

IMG_1205.JPG

• Like 3