Pod Your Reef

Nick's 30L Mixed Reef

Nixperience

Nixperience
16 minutes ago, samnaz said:

That's great. I hope he pulls through. Poor guy!

He's starting to come out a little now

Nixperience

Did a water change and installed the ghost skimmer. Seems pretty quiet and is breaking in nicely. Royal gramma is doing better and exploring the caves. Maxi mini and ricordeas that were on my remaining rock that I had to put in are mostly opened up and doing good. I'll put more clean up crew in tomorrow and wait another day or 2 after that to put the rest of my fish in. 

• Like 1
Nixperience

Here's a crappy iPhone pic. Tank is doing good. If parameters check out tonight, I may just put the clowns in and break down my quarantine. 

IMG_1153.JPG

• Like 3
Nixperience

31D84821-6022-48E1-B1DE-3DE5C436104E_zps

Still getting organized. I'm all in now. Cycle was done and clowns were all that were left to go in. Between the RW-4 and the MP10 on the opposite side, this tank has some serious flow. I'll make some adjustments next feeding. Right now I have rw-4 at about 70% on long pulse and the mp10 on about 70% reef crest. Seems to fill all dead spots, but might be too strong. 

Also, going to do macros and softies on the right side. I was thinking about some lps on the left, but I'm torn between lps and anemones ? Any suggestions?

• Like 4
Nixperience

Well, the bta may eventually kill the lps. I'm going to stick with macros for a while until that looks good. I'm afraid that if I add anything remotely polypy right now, the clowns will host with it and beat it up. I took out my big toadstool because that's what they hosted with and abused it. 

5 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Well, the bta may eventually kill the lps. I'm going to stick with macros for a while until that looks good. I'm afraid that if I add anything remotely polypy right now, the clowns will host with it and beat it up. I took out my big toadstool because that's what they hosted with and abused it. 

Tank looks nice.Bta will for sure take up the left side, clowns will love it though. 

• Like 1
Nixperience
1 minute ago, pal said:

Tank looks nice.Bta will for sure take up the left side, clowns will love it though. 

Well in reality, the bta will take up where it wants lol. I won't get one until the tank matures, but the clowns might cling to something else by then if it is hairy and soft. 

• Like 1
Nixperience
1 minute ago, pal said:

Yup,but you can for sure adjust things to make it like where you put it. 

This is true. I've had success with moving btas by putting a small card or paper over their spot to cast a shadow on them. Much less intrusive than moving powerheads at them. 

• Like 2

This tank looks great! I was torn between the Fusion 20 and 30l when I had to buy a new tank. You are making me regret my decision! 

• Like 1
Nixperience
5 minutes ago, ry05coupe said:

This tank looks great! I was torn between the Fusion 20 and 30l when I had to buy a new tank. You are making me regret my decision! 

Thanks. I was torn too. I don't regret it ?

Nixperience

Picking up a hydra 52 from a local reefer today for the main section of the tank as the Prime will be mainly a macro/mangrove/softie light now. 

• Like 2
Simulated Fish

Not gonna lie, I really like the one light "spotlight" effect, buy can really car for coral without light :)

Edit: crap I really need to read what I post when on mobile, this is aweful!

Edited by Hippieheadshot
Nixperience
44 minutes ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Not gonna lie, I really like the one light "spotlight" effect, buy can really car for coral without light :)

Haha! No way am I spot feeding a bunch of nps. 

Nixperience

Best I could do with my iPhone. I think I'm going to save up for a 10 pack of RFAs and then a BTA and go that route instead of lps on the left. 

APC_0012.jpg

• Like 3
Nixperience
13 minutes ago, zohar78 said:

I'm utterly worn out from work today, and I just cant seem to recall what rfa is...

Rock flower anemones. I figure since I have a pretty big rock scape, they'll give me lots of color without growing huge like a lot of lps would. And I won't have high calcium demand. Kalkwasser should be sufficient for keeping my parameters in check. 

thanks...       hmmm..      I haven't really looked at corals yet..  just going to get the tank established and better understanding of salt before moving to next stage