Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nick's 30L Mixed Reef

Nixperience

Nixperience

The anemone moved and was clinging to a cerith snail as it flopped in the current. It was only a matter of time before it let go and got sucked into a powerhead. I was not as concerned with the corals as I am about powerhead chum. I've decided to get rid of the anemone. I will either sell it locally or trade it to my lfs for credit. The tank will be better for it. 

• Like 1
Nixperience

I know this is kind of a crappy pic, but I didn't have time to do the whole SLR thing today. I'm looking for softy ideas on the right side. I'm thinking the left side will probably be acans and blastos around the base of the rock. 

The very right side has a few zoa frags, blue sympodium, and meteor shower that I'm hoping will fill that side in. I moved 2 of the red mushrooms up top in the back behind the green toadstool hoping for them to grow on the back glass. Looking for ideas for softies in the rest of the space. Green sinularia, more gorgonians, cloves, macros?

APC_0068.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Nixperience said:

I know this is kind of a crappy pic, but I didn't have time to do the whole SLR thing today. I'm looking for softy ideas on the right side. I'm thinking the left side will probably be acans and blastos around the base of the rock. 

The very right side has a few zoa frags, blue sympodium, and meteor shower that I'm hoping will fill that side in. I moved 2 of the red mushrooms up top in the back behind the green toadstool hoping for them to grow on the back glass. Looking for ideas for softies in the rest of the space. Green sinularia, more gorgonians, cloves, macros?

APC_0068.jpg

I was gonna say Cloves (which I'm wanting myself right now), but I like the other things you mentioned as well. 

Nixperience

Just got the 4.2g pico frag tank from oceanbox designs and it's a perfect fit. I'll be filling it the next day or 2. It's going in sideways until I eventually get an ato for it so I can monitor the water level. 

IMG_1751.JPG

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2017 at 6:09 PM, Nixperience said:

Up and running. I just need a temp probe and it's good to go. Light mount comes tomorrow. 

IMG_1752.JPG

What's going in here??

We need an update!! :happydance:

• Like 2
On 6/27/2017 at 10:31 AM, Nixperience said:

IMG_1595.JPG

Omigosh I love this :wub:

On 8/17/2017 at 6:37 PM, Weetabix7 said:

What's going in here??

We need an update!! :happydance:

Yes! 

• 1 month later...

I haven't been active online for a while. Tank has been on autopilot for a while and the pico has remained a quarantine for the time being. Funds have been tight lately, so it's a good time to just maintain and let things grow in. 

• Like 1

I have been thinking about doing a cold water tank with the pico and collect stuff from the beach down the street to see what grows. There seems to be lots of ulva, periwinkles, and really aggressive hermit crabs from what I've seen so far. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2017 at 1:14 AM, Minmay said:

Welcome back!! Missed ya! 

This!!!

I've been pretty busy and less active on here as well, glad to hear you're still alive, kicking, reefing!!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Been a while. Been on autopilot, but I’ve decided to go more in the softy direction. Softies are doing good. 

My black clown turned murderous and killed my other clown and tried to kill my new snowflake I got as a replacement, so I traded her and got a new regular ocellaris too. They both hosted BTA right away too!

BF98EDA1-5AD8-42CF-A669-3A6DB538A668.jpeg

47943C0D-C1A8-40E9-B3E1-B111DAE6D0F4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

So I’m thinking about making an algae reactor since the chaeto in my tank is stuffed behind a rock and not getting much light. The mangroves are doing well and the halimeda is growing like crazy, but I think I need to trim it since it is starting to grow into good coral real estate. 

The reactors seem to work good, but I’ve heard that they can get the nutrient levels too low sometimes. I was thinking it’s always easier to add nutrients than to reduce them. 

Here’s the first top down shot I’ve ever done. Also, my snowflake has been missing for at least a week. I think it must’ve jumped and got eaten by one of my dogs ☹️

5628370E-1BB3-4C79-86F1-29B6377F50FC.jpeg

• Sad 1