Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nick's 30L Mixed Reef

Nixperience

Nixperience
5 minutes ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Love tanks that break the waterline! What kind of air plants did you use? I have been thinking about doing a 12g long book case and may need a link. ;)

Good idea on the small pump, most folks overlook Common dead spots like that.

Thanks. I got them from a seller on eBay wwgardensupply. It was 5 for $14 I think. 

Nixperience

E8AD5D70-1A35-4BFD-95A2-221F20D79E34_zps

got mangroves acclimating in my holding tank until ammonia is gone from my cycle. Also, got my inTank media baskets in. What an improvement!

• Like 4
Nixperience
1 minute ago, samnaz said:

That's a nice holding tank! I like the bright blue. It's different. 

Thanks. I'm glad I never got rid of that stuff. It comes in handy if I need an emergency filter or quarantine tank. 

Nixperience

So I got bored and my cycle is still happening, but the ammonia dropped to .5 ppm. Since I got sent 12 mangroves, which is twice as many as I will use, I figured I'd put 2 in there to satisfy my tank cycling boredom and anxiety. The left side of scape isn't permanent. I just stuck a piece of liverock in the middle that doesn't have a place in this scape, but I needed it to help me cycle. It was the only one that didn't have a bunch of ricordeas stuck to it. 

B5B0802B-6B89-4496-9F45-DB192867C5E2_zps

• Like 2
Nixperience

Ammonia almost gone. I'm thinking maybe tomorrow. 

AFE2B421-AA4A-41F3-AE71-78F22ACBA5E4_zps

white rock is temporary liverock just for seeding. 

• Like 5

I'm really digging the tank..   What was the cube tank you had?    I like the aquascape in the cube too..      Looking at  the 30l  in some ways I wish I had a deal or gotten that over the cube..    but oh well..     first tank salt wise, so will be interesting.

Also how do you like that rw-4.  I was thinking about getting one with controller for my 32 biocube.

• Like 1
Nixperience
17 minutes ago, zohar78 said:

I'm really digging the tank..   What was the cube tank you had?    I like the aquascape in the cube too..      Looking at  the 30l  in some ways I wish I had a deal or gotten that over the cube..    but oh well..     first tank salt wise, so will be interesting.

Also how do you like that rw-4.  I was thinking about getting one with controller for my 32 biocube.

Thanks. My cube was an Aquamaxx Low-Iron Rimless 33 Gallon. It was nice, but I felt it had more dead space in the water column and it came out to far from he wall in he spot it was in. I'm loving this 30L!

The RW-4 is great for the price, but still no comparison to the mp10. I couldn't afford a 2nd mp10 at the time, but now that those aqamai pumps are out for $120, I wish I got that. Oh well, for $60 it's amazing!

Nixperience

I think those new aqamai pumps are it. They partnered with hydor so they are basically 3rd gen koralia with uber controllability. Check em out. They just released this week. 

• Like 1
WV Reefer
21 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Mangroves all in. Only .25 ammonia left. I just had to do something. Was getting bored. 

IMG_1143.JPG

I like it!

• Like 1
Nixperience
5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I like it!

Thanks. I just want this cycle to be over. Half of the rock was well established, so it should be much longer. I'm so impatient lol. 

• Like 1
WV Reefer
2 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Thanks. I just want this cycle to be over. Half of the rock was well established, so it should be much longer. I'm so impatient lol. 

I understand about impatience.... I'm sitting in a room full of boxes and an empty aquarium.  :haha:

• Like 3
Nixperience
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

I understand about impatience.... I'm sitting in a room full of boxes and an empty aquarium.  :haha:

Ahahahahah!

• Like 2
Nixperience

I moved a rock from my small tank to my large tank and then later I saw my royal gramma on the floor. I picked him up quick and threw him in the tank, but he was having a hard time. He tried to hide in a rock and my starry blenny attacked him. He had nowhere left to hide. I had no choice, but to put him in the new tank. He's been sitting in a cave breathing heavy. I'm going to get some Prime just in case. Ammonia was around .1-.2, pretty low and no nitrites and very low nitrates. I might lose him. I don't know how long he was sitting in the floor when I found him. Maybe 10 minutes. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Nixperience said:

I moved a rock from my small tank to my large tank and then later I saw my royal gramma on the floor. I picked him up quick and threw him in the tank, but he was having a hard time. He tried to hide in a rock and my starry blenny attacked him. He had nowhere left to hide. I had no choice, but to put him in the new tank. He's been sitting in a cave breathing heavy. I'm going to get some Prime just in case. Ammonia was around .1-.2, pretty low and no nitrites and very low nitrates. I might lose him. I don't know how long he was sitting in the floor when I found him. Maybe 10 minutes. 

Sorry to hear but he may pull through fingerscrossed you have a mean starry blenny ? I have one and it leaves everyone alone.

• Like 1
Nixperience
4 minutes ago, spectra said:

Sorry to hear but he may pull through fingerscrossed you have a mean starry blenny ? I have one and it leaves everyone alone.

He's not mean, but with a dazed fish trying to swim in his hidey hole, there was a scuffle and the gramma was already having a hard time after laying on the floor for a while. 

• Like 2
Nixperience

442D2A8B-ED1D-4E25-98C3-F196B643EA99_zps

i decided that since I'll be dosing Prime every other day for the trace amounts of ammonia, I might as well add my remaining liverock from my other tank to help stabilize even though they are loaded with ricordeas. I think they'll be ok. I'll soft cycle the rest of the cycle since there's not much left of it and I also put a chemipure blue in the right side and chemipure elite in the left side. Royal gramma is hiding under a cave, not moving, but breathing. At least he's in a spot I can see him if I have to. 

• Like 3
Simulated Fish

I love the all or nothing attitude! Good luck I'm excited to see this tank mature, hope the royal makes it through.

Nixperience

So I can't find the royal gramma this morning. How long should I wait before I start digging for a dead fish? I don't want to stress him out if he's still alive and I don't want to leave him in if he's dead. 

Nixperience

I found him in a new cave and his fin was flapping. I think he'll be alright, just really stressed. I think he was on deaths door when I found him on the floor. 

• Like 3