Cultivated Reef

Feeding routine

Minmay

Hi all!!! So, my stock is 1 clown, 1 fire fish and Cleaner shrimp. Right now I only feed them NLS pellets. I feed them every other day. Their not too fond of the pellets but since feeding them every other day they will eat. My concern is that Elvis (my clown) grabs it faster than Prince (fire fish). So prince only gets 1-2 pellets. You dont think Prince will starve right? Pic is my tank babies front/back side. 

IMG_2017-04-25_09-12-22.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

What you can do is spot feed each fish in two different areas. This way while the clown is eating in one area the firefish is eating in peace somewhere else. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FollyFish said:

What you can do is spot feed each fish in two different areas. This way while the clown is eating in one area the firefish is eating in peace somewhere else. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that. Its weird Prince dont like Elvis but they always chillin with each other.. smh 

Nixperience

You could try a tiny bit of flake on the days between. I dip a tiny pinch of flake in the water so it really blows around everywhere. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nixperience said:

You could try a tiny bit of flake on the days between. I dip a tiny pinch of flake in the water so it really blows around everywhere. 

I'll try that as well. Do u recommend a brand flake food for Prince who's picky?

Nixperience

I've been using ocean nutrition Prime reef flakes. I just ordered nls pellets to try, but haven't gotten them. My fish like the flake though. 

10 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

I've been using ocean nutrition Prime reef flakes. I just ordered nls pellets to try, but haven't gotten them. My fish like the flake though. 

I have NLS cuz I read how nutritious it is for marine fish. Prince is picky and wouldnt eat but 1 or 2 pellets. Even tho it already has garlic in it, I had to soak it in garlic juice in order for him to eat. Now i no longer have to do that. 

I feed my fish daily small amounts that last 1 minute. its better for their health.

I also feed 1-2 times a week frozen mysis and brine

Firefish are slower than clowns and clowns are pigs.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I feed my fish daily small amounts that last 1 minute. its better for their health.

I also feed 1-2 times a week frozen mysis and brine

Firefish are slower than clowns and clowns are pigs.

I have some frozen brine. I do that once a week

You might already be doing this but if you dont try letting the pellets sit in water and soften a bit. They might be just a little to hard for Prince to eat. 

• Like 1

I've been feeding my fish a small amount of NLS daily.  No more than what they can eat in a minute or so, just like Clown. I spot feed my corals twice a week with the pumps off. One coral feeding is with reef roids and the other is a frozen "reef plankton" mix. The frozen has little mysis shrimp or pods in it. Haven't been able to really tell what it is though. The frozen food is only given to my LPS and Ricordea. They gobble it up unless the shrimp steals it from them! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FollyFish said:

You might already be doing this but if you dont try letting the pellets sit in water and soften a bit. They might be just a little to hard for Prince to eat. 

O yeah, I started doing that. At first i would let it soak for about 5min but i recently started soaking it for about 10-15 and Prince likes that better. 

1 hour ago, TheBig053 said:

I've been feeding my fish a small amount of NLS daily.  No more than what they can eat in a minute or so, just like Clown. I spot feed my corals twice a week with the pumps off. One coral feeding is with reef roids and the other is a frozen "reef plankton" mix. The frozen has little mysis shrimp or pods in it. Haven't been able to really tell what it is though. The frozen food is only given to my LPS and Ricordea. They gobble it up unless the shrimp steals it from them! 

You can make a protective dome for your turkey baster if u use that. Its helpful for me cuz my cleaner shrimp (Mr. Big is his name) is a food thief lol 

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Shrimps are great but they are annoying when feeding corals.lol.

I use to get so frustrated with Mr. Big. So frustrated I was gonna take his ass back too but I was googling and stumbled on a person who made a protective dome. Much better now