Top Shelf Aquatics

Display Macros

Nixperience

Nixperience

I'm setting up a new tank to cycle next week and I wanted to use some macros in the display to create a shore to reef lagoon. I want macros that will export nutrients, but nothing too fast that I will have to be constantly trimming and pruning and nothing with a high risk of proliferation. My plan is to do 3 mangroves on the hill and then I was thinking red and green gracilaria, codium, and galaxaura. Then I will work into some softies and a 2-3 easy lps like a hammer, Duncan, and blasto maybe, or I might do BTA instead of stonies and have almost no kalk demand. 

I was wondering if anyone has experience with these macros and has any advice. Thanks. 

I have kept all of those Macros. 

The Galaxaura is the only one that is mildly difficult, it's just slower growing.

Well, the Mangroves will grow slow too. 

None of those have a high risk of proliferation. 

You'll have to trim the Graciliara some, but it won't be a crazy, overboard kinda thing. 

Nixperience

Thanks. Any other suggestions? Caulerpa scares the hell out of me. I don't have any macro experience other than chaeto, but this time, I won't have a sump and want to do something similar to brad908, just a little smaller. 

9 hours ago, Nixperience said:

Thanks. Any other suggestions? Caulerpa scares the hell out of me. I don't have any macro experience other than chaeto, but this time, I won't have a sump and want to do something similar to brad908, just a little smaller. 

Yeah, I thought of his tank when you mentioned what you were doing. 

It's one I've always liked. 

Hey's 50g is another good one along those lines. 

I understand what you mean about Caulerpa. 

The one Caulerpa I feel safe recommending is Caulerpa Cupressoides, also sometimes called Cactus Caulerpa. 

It's much slower growing & won't take over and has a cool appearance that's a little different. 

Hypnea Pannosa is another good one. It has a bluish color and is fairly low-maintenance. 

Nixperience
36 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yeah, I thought of his tank when you mentioned what you were doing. 

It's one I've always liked. 

Hey's 50g is another good one along those lines. 

I understand what you mean about Caulerpa. 

The one Caulerpa I feel safe recommending is Caulerpa Cupressoides, also sometimes called Cactus Caulerpa. 

It's much slower growing & won't take over and has a cool appearance that's a little different. 

Hypnea Pannosa is another good one. It has a bluish color and is fairly low-maintenance. 

Thanks. I was thinking about hypnea pannosa too. I know I won't have any fast exporters, but I think I'll have enough of them in the tank to do some work and cut down on maintenance. I was also considering red grape, which is a faster exporter. Any risks on that one?

28 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Can I plant macros during a cycle?

I wouldn't plant them during a cycle, no. 

All the ones we talked about should be fine once the cycle ends. 

If you wait a little past end of cycle for planting any of them, I'd sad do it with Hypnea and Mangroves. 

I don't believe there any risks with Red Grape, I've kept it several times with no issues.

Nixperience
33 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Agree to all the above. Gracilaria Hayi works well, and you can also consider padina and gorgs as well.

Gorgs are cool, but I thought they were difficult. I want to keep my calcium demand down since saturated kalk tends to gunk up equipment faster. I want to dose less, clean less, water change less ?

Photosynthetic Gorgs are easy, med-high flow and weekly feeding of filter foods and you are good to go. They are similar to a zoa in that regard.

Nixperience
52 minutes ago, Boggers said:

Photosynthetic Gorgs are easy, med-high flow and weekly feeding of filter foods and you are good to go. They are similar to a zoa in that regard.

Hmm, maybe I'll stick one in there as a highlight once I see how things are growing. 

• 2 weeks later...
Alexraptor

A personal favorite of mine is Caulerpa Prolifera.

Visually it is very appealing and fits with the whole "seaweed" look of a tank, and is a fairly slow grower compared to other caulerpa.

It has a preference for sandy substrates but will on occasion grow up on the rocks, at which point one can just rip it off. And its a pretty sturdy macro and not as prone to fragmentation when you try to rip the holdfasts off the rocks.

Archived