SaltCritters.com

RODI plumbing help

caietaro

I moved to a new house a few months back and was hoping to directly connect my RODI unit directly to my water line instead of connecting it to a bathroom sink like I used to at my old place. The problem is I have absolutely no idea how/where I could connect the unit. My basement is finished so my hot water heater is in a small utility closet. Plumbing is not my expertise by far...does anyone have some thoughts on where I could start in trying to figure out how to connect the unit? I've attached some pics for reference. The white pipes supply water to the sinks/showers throughout the house from the tankless water heater, that's about all I know :huh:

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

One more pic for reference 

IMG_0919.JPG

Im not all that knowledgable about plumbing either but that is significantly more complicated than any plumbing I've had in any of my houses. I'm not even sure what some of that equipment is. The aquaMotion I'm guessing is some sort of pump and i dont know what the small brown tank is.

What i can tell you is that you do not want to connect the RODI unit to a hot water source. You might be able to use a hose bib connector and hook it up to one of the two bibs. If you know one of them is directly off the water main, that would be ideal and also the easiest setup. 

I'm not sure where you would connect the drain.

17 hours ago, skoechle said:

Im not all that knowledgable about plumbing either but that is significantly more complicated than any plumbing I've had in any of my houses. I'm not even sure what some of that equipment is. The aquaMotion I'm guessing is some sort of pump and i dont know what the small brown tank is.

What i can tell you is that you do not want to connect the RODI unit to a hot water source. You might be able to use a hose bib connector and hook it up to one of the two bibs. If you know one of them is directly off the water main, that would be ideal and also the easiest setup. 

I'm not sure where you would connect the drain.

The hot water flows through those white pipes, so I'll definitely avoid those. There's 4 pipes connected to the tankless water heater, at least one must be an inlet from the main water line, so that's what I was thinking I could somehow connect to. Not sure about the waste water drain either. I'm thinking I might need to bring out a plumber, though I don't know if they'll have any experience on what to do with/how to connect an RODI unit.

Just now, Nidilsky said:

I'm assuming it's not an under the kitchen sink deal? That is what I am looking into.

Unfortunately under the kitchen sink isn't an option, unless I can somehow connect it under the sink and then feed the line down into my RODI storage tank in the basement. 

Yep. That what I want to do, as well as have the waste water flow to an outdoor rain barrel. Might be dreaming, but it could happen! 

That is a Instant Hot Water Recirculation System, essentially it pumps hot water through the pipes constantly so you always have hot water ready. It is also used for under-floor heating. (warm tile floors).

The Black pipe coming down is your main line that you would have to tap. I would suggest a plumber and most will know how to hook up an RO/Di if they have any commercial clients like restaurants.

27 minutes ago, Boggers said:

That is a Instant Hot Water Recirculation System, essentially it pumps hot water through the pipes constantly so you always have hot water ready. It is also used for under-floor heating. (warm tile floors).

The Black pipe coming down is your main line that you would have to tap. I would suggest a plumber and most will know how to hook up an RO/Di if they have any commercial clients like restaurants.

Thanks! The next challenge would be figuring out where to put the waste water line. 

3 hours ago, Boggers said:

Ok don't listen to Boggers :lol: that black line is Natural Gas...................not water ;) tap into that and you might have a bigger issue :blink:

Just given ya crap Boggers ;) and I do agree ask a plumber.............I plumbed mine myself with no issues but not seeing the whole set up I don't want to say yeah do this.......

12 hours ago, spectra said:

Ok don't listen to Boggers :lol: that black line is Natural Gas...................not water ;) tap into that and you might have a bigger issue :blink:

Just given ya crap Boggers ;) and I do agree ask a plumber.............I plumbed mine myself with no issues but not seeing the whole set up I don't want to say yeah do this.......

Good catch, I hadn't thought of a gas run tankless. 

If you have a heating unit in the basement, there would be a drain next to that. if not there is a central waste line somewhere for the showers and toilets. Plumber can easily help with that as well.

The furnace is in the same utility room, so there's s drain in the floor, but it's capped off so I'm not sure how I could tie the waste line in to that. 

Since i clearly have no idea what I'm doing here, a call to a plumber is definitely in order here :lol:. I'll post some updates when/if a plumber is able to get the unit connected. The gas-run tankless heaters are more and more common so I'm sure I won't be the only one trying to figure this out!

Archived