Coral Vue Hydros

Dorm Design Has Begun

nsheridan430

nsheridan430

This post is a continuation of my earlier post but i wanted to make a new page as i progress through this project.

I picked up all the acrylic that i needed off of lowes as well as weld-on 4 acrylic with a needle tip applicator, and after some bad machined edges at lowes, I had to cut down some of my edges. So now each side is 11 and 3/8 inches long and the height is 7 and 9 tenths inches tall. Ran a water test last night and no leaks so soon enough im gonna start to cut and build the in sump wall. After the sump is in it will be a 1 gallon sump and a 3.5 gallon display tank. I'm very excited and if anyone has tips or comments please add!

Pictures of the tank build:58fe60819ebd3_BeforePolishtop.thumb.jpeg.b6adb27192649d2b26fa71ad6211eb2b.jpeg58fe6085bd7b6_BeforePolishSide.thumb.jpeg.051a27581db4def41752dd76d23d3285.jpeg58fe6089ca624_2Walls.thumb.jpeg.fde693a31ff25954561f69b87972606e.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
nsheridan430

I continued to build the structure and i finished the in-sump as well as did a 3 day water test with a pump running in it. Now i just need to build a nice wood frame to house the tank, hide the sump system, and install the electrical.

File_003.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_000 (1).jpeg

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

Great work so far, it feels good to build your own tank doesn't it? That first leak test... :happy: 

What kind of wood are you going to use for the canopy and base?

• Like 1

Very cool!

I always like my diy accomplishments (warts and all) even more than a commercially bought version.  (I don't see any warts on your's B))  Good luck and keep it up.  Following.

nsheridan430

Thank You everyone, I haven't had time to work on this with school but i hope to get some work done today and tomorrow. The case is going to be made of oak, just because it's solid and i enjoy the Grain. I'm going to stain it with a waterproof stain to prevent molding, and give it a much more finished look. And yes it does feel good to build my own tank, I also have a 300 gallon plywood tank i'm building for my school to house a Pacu, and i'm really getting hooked on tank building. If anyone has suggestions or tips, i'd love to hear them, I want this to be a very nice tank.