Top Shelf Aquatics

The passing of Albert Thiel RIP

atoll

It is with sadness that yesterday evening my good friend Albert Thiel ( famous professional aquarists and writer of many books on the hobby) passed away I believe late morning around 11am. So sad am gutted for him and his family, wife Sarah and daughter Sharon. We chatted often via email, on nano reefs and a couple of times on the phone. I met him a few times years ago here in the UK before we became friends the last time we chatted on the phone was a few months ago. Albert has been very poorly and lost his fight to cancer and will be sadly missed by many and the hobby has lost a great pioneer and all around helpful guy to all. RIP my friend.

albert%20thiel%20pic_zpshu75u14p.jpg

albert_zpsh2y55or2.jpg

Edited by atoll
updated info
  • Like 13

Very sad news. I had messaged with him just last week on facebook. He had said he was in a lot of pain and the cancer was spreading. He will be missed.

@atoll Please let me know if there is a memorial service, some folks were asking. Thank you.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, metrokat said:

Very sad news. I had messaged with him just last week on facebook. He had said he was in a lot of pain and the cancer was spreading. He will be missed.

@atoll Please let me know if there is a memorial service, some folks were asking. Thank you.

I am not sure if I will get informed about any memorial service etc but if I hear of one I will post it here for sure. 

• Like 3

Can somebody explain why there is no nano reef official report or obituary about Albert that I can see. Forgive me if there is one but surely there should be an official announcement. I notified the powers that be on here on Sunday so there has been plenty of time to make an official announcement. Does admin not care or think it warrants one? However, if I am wrong can somebody post a link for me to it and I apologize in advance if there has indeed been such a post. Thanks.   

:closedeyes: :tears:

I had some enjoyable and informative conversations with him on Reefing matters a few years back, he was just a really great guy. 

I know that his contributions on here have been appreciated. 

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Sad news. :(  Anyone know if his book is still available?  I never was able to get it.

Hard copies were all sold out quite some time ago but you can still get the e.version 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Sad news. :(  Anyone know if his book is still available?  I never was able to get it.

Paperbacks on Amazon. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I have a pre released rough draft version that Al personalized to me, i can scan it lil by lil onto my computer and possibly make a off avail, not sure of that's cool though with copyright laws. It's a great read for sure, a lot of what we already know and some which we don't or skip over. He will be missed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic