Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MrJoels Evo 13.5 Journal

MrJoel

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:45 PM, MrJoel said:

The return pump was building up some funk on the filter sponge. I decided to give it a cleaning. Man that thing was funky. When I got it powered back up the flow was noticeably improved. I guess cleaning that out just became a maintenance item.

Yeah, I cleaned mine out for the first time 2-3 weeks ago and noticed considerably better out put from the pump.  Probably about time to open the pump up and clean it out again during my next water change. Did you plug that stupid hole they put about half up the wall between the display area and chamber 2? That seems like my primary source of detritus in the back chambers.  I am wondering how to close it up effectively know that it is submersed in water. 

Following.. Have the same tank. Did you ever add more blue led to the tank? 

The stock is too white for me and I know blues are more preferred for coral growth. 

Looking for any insights to get this mod added to the stock hood. 

On 5/13/2017 at 7:38 AM, hipertec said:

Following.. Have the same tank. Did you ever add more blue led to the tank? 

The stock is too white for me and I know blues are more preferred for coral growth. 

Looking for any insights to get this mod added to the stock hood. 

I have not changed the lights yet. I was wanted to get my temp under control before I added any new light in the hood.  I have the replacement CSXC-1 chiller in place and we have temps in the 90's coming up in the next few days. If the Temp stay in the set zone I will be able to look at either adding some supplemental blues or maybe retrofitting the hood to house a nanobox duo. The Duo is actually smaller that the stock lighting so the hood would need to be modified to allow the nanobox duo to no fall into the tank. 

Found a new Acan when I was feeding them tonight.
SmSVxWAGhEd-EK5MFMoxw3pCs3ukhB3dwJ27Lmvv

Also found a baby snail that looks like it is starting to form it's shell. Super blurry but when I was trying to get another shot it slipped into a hole in the rock. I hope it is the Trochus reproducing and not the Turbo. That turbo is a jerk.=P
Mkk0992V-UmbbvLo8m0RvRxa_KIY7lkEHft6D0BO
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, MrJoel said:

Also my hermits are at it again. Still 4 of them no new deaths, but they keep fighting.

Wow!  They're really brawling! :lol:

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Mkbarton said:

I'm pretty sure your "baby" snail is just a stomatella snail

Could be. It does look similar, But it looked like the shell forming had some spiral to it. I guess we'll see if I can get a better look at it. If it is, I would find it troubling since I don't like creatures just showing up in my tank. 

All rock was dry when I set up and all corals were dipped before being introduced. 

9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Wow!  They're really brawling! :lol:

It went on for minutes. I separated them a few times before I gave up. This is why I had 7 and now have 4.

3 minutes ago, MrJoel said:

Could be. It does look similar, But it looked like the shell forming had some spiral to it. I guess we'll see if I can get a better look at it. If it is, I would find it troubling since I don't like creatures just showing up in my tank. 

All rock was dry when I set up and all corals were dipped before being introduced. 

It went on for minutes. I separated them a few times before I gave up. This is why I had 7 and now have 4.

Brutal hermits!  Of course, I had a "peaceful" pom pom crab attack the new one I got, steal its poms, and eat its leg. :mellow: Crabs are nuts!

I got a stomatella hitchhiker on a coral frag a while back. :happydance: Can be a little disconcerting when stuff shows up, but as long as it's not bad it should be ok lol.

• Like 1

We lost the Red Scooter dragonet yesterday to Velvet and lost clown today. The last clown does not look like he will make it. Tank will be fish free for 2-3 months. On the plus side my nitrates and phosphates should be great.

Coral and inverts only for me for a while I guess.

2 hours ago, MrJoel said:

We lost the Red Scooter dragonet yesterday to Velvet and lost clown today. The last clown does not look like he will make it. Tank will be fish free for 2-3 months. On the plus side my nitrates and phosphates should be great.

Coral and inverts only for me for a while I guess.

:( Bummer!  I just brought home a baby clown that the next day was showing signs of ich, I hope that is all it is!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to get salt water and came home with 2 more corals.

IMG_0511.thumb.JPG.59f8c3a0bbfe58645e019342c4442400.JPG

Added the Weed know as Xenia. I cant help it, I like the way it looks

IMG_0468.thumb.JPG.fa2065244a139cb8705843a84f361682.JPG

And I added a Pavona Maldivensis frag. Which seem to have some filter feeder on the left hand side. Which I can see popping in and out all day.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, MrJoel said:

IMG_0511.thumb.JPG.59f8c3a0bbfe58645e019342c4442400.JPG

Added the Weed know as Xenia. I cant help it, I like the way it looks

IMG_0468.thumb.JPG.fa2065244a139cb8705843a84f361682.JPG

And I added a Pavona Maldivensis frag. Which seem to have some filter feeder on the left hand side. Which I can see popping in and out all day.

Isn't it funny how that happens, go for one thing and come home with other stuff!  Xenia is a really nice color!

5 hours ago, MrJoel said:

5 hours ago, MrJoel said:

Yeah, that'll happen....

So I was trying to get a close up on this orangish thing growing out of the Pavona Maldivensis to figure out what it was when the snail  caught my atterntion. Still not sure about the orange critter climbing out of the coral.

Definitely some hitchhikers in this frag.

• 2 weeks later...

In the middle of another heatwave here and the ChillSollution chiller does not seem to be doing much. Until this week it always kept the tank within 1 degree F of my 78 set point. But with tempt between 98F and 106F  I may need to add a fan or maybe get ride of the hood and just deal with evap.

On 6/9/2017 at 9:33 PM, MrJoel said:

So I was trying to get a close up on this orangish thing growing out of the Pavona Maldivensis to figure out what it was when the snail  caught my atterntion. Still not sure about the orange critter climbing out of the coral.

Definitely some hitchhikers in this frag.

Lol, that was a stomatella trying to reproduce. 

I think that the orange "thing" might be some kind of sponge, looks cool. 

Just now, Weetabix7 said:

Lol, that was a stomatella trying to reproduce. 

Yeah, their are 2-3 in the tank now and I saw them doing that for a few days. We'll see if more show up soon.

• 3 months later...

Not much to say. It has gone down hill. Trying to sort it out. The ich killed the fish . Digitate hydroids took over and levels tanked killing several corals. Reaminingncorals are recovering. 

Hydroids seem to be receding, but I now have brown covering most of my rock and in the last week or so the brown algae seemed to have become fuzzy.

Feeling overwhelmed with thentank these days. =(

DD752F15-CC51-44CC-9737-C8BF24D87023.jpeg

CA5438C7-294C-4D87-B40E-FC50771F8117.jpeg