ReefCleaners.org

low tech 10 gallon aquarium

Jorge091293

Jorge091293

i want to do a 10 gallon low tech  reef aquarium but do not  want to spend to much on it anyone have any advice on cheap filters ? 

and lighting ?  also i want to go with crushed coral for the bottom... can get one at petsmart for 10 dollars top fin brand ...  all i have right now is the empty 10 gallon tank so ill take as many ideas u guys can give  thanks 

10_Gallon_Glass.jpg

Jorge091293

i found this lights https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Aquarium-Light-Extendable-Brackets/dp/B0191EWII2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492931128&sr=8-2&keywords=nicrew+led+aquarium+light

https://www.amazon.com/Marina-A286-S15-Power-Filter/dp/B0032G8TQQ/ref=sr_1_14?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1492931210&sr=1-14&keywords=filter

i am going to add a power head i have here and live rock from my establish tank i have too much of it in there  that i can spare 

i will only have soft corals like xenia and kenya tree in there nothing else maybe one fish (maybe) not sure yet so what you guys think?? 

You can do it. :)  My tank is low tech..... just a light, heater and two powerheads.  What you can grow will depend mostly on your lighting. 

It's totally doable. 

Here's a great example of a low-tech 10 gallon that very successfully does what you say you want to accomplish: 

The HOB you linked will likely work fine. 

Using already cycled rock from your current, established tank is a great idea. 

I can't comment on the light, but I CAN tell you that with this inexpensive light you could even keep SPS: https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-PAR38/dp/B01LWP37SD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492951143&sr=8-1&keywords=abi+tuna+blue+par38

I have that bulb over my Waterfall Pico and I have Soft Corals, LPS and even low maintenance SPS thriving. 

My tank is an odd shape and the bulb isn't able to fully light all of it, but I have the tank in front of a sunny window and the bulb in an architect's lamp angled so it shines more brightly on the more light demanding corals and less on corals that don't need it. 

It both looks and functions well. 

Good luck!!

I always do low tech tanks- stupid simple seems to create less issues.

I wouldn't advise crushed coral especially in a 10g. I had it in my 55g and its pretty tough to keep clean, a lot gets trapped in it.

You can easily do a 10g with liverock, powerhead, heater,  and hob filter. I like the Api superclean hob as it has a surface skimmer. I just use my own media in my hobs. 

Thats all i have on my tanks, works great.

Jorge091293

okays thanks !! i will go bare bottom 

then i will do a fowlr 10 gallon  and thanks when i start i will start posting pics of the tank and progress...

lol this is a very great hobby  lol i would get mad at my husband when he will come home with tanks and fish now i understand him....

he has no idea of what i am doing lol.....:D

8 minutes ago, Jorge091293 said:

okays thanks !! i will go bare bottom 

then i will do a fowlr 10 gallon  and thanks when i start i will start posting pics of the tank and progress...

lol this is a very great hobby  lol i would get mad at my husband when he will come home with tanks and fish now i understand him....

he has no idea of what i am doing lol.....:D

That's pretty hilarious, PLEASE update with his response when he realizes!!!!! :lol:

Jorge091293

ushhhh  today is not my day so i bought a filter and two circulation pumps and i was so exited to start my 10 gallon tank when  just 10 mins ago my baby decides to get a broom and hit the aquarium off the shelf and broke :(.....

5 minutes ago, Jorge091293 said:

sushi today is not my day so i bought a filter and two circulation pumps and i was so exited to start my 10 gallon tank when  just 10 mins ago my baby decides to get a broom and hit the aquarium off the shelf and broke :(.....

:eek:

Jorge091293

its okays babies will be babies..... 

any good small aquariums u guys recommend nano cubes  or like the one i had thank you guys for all your support in advance i love you guys :wub:

Either one.

Cheapest will be standard like you had with an hob filter, heater, and powerhead.

Then theres biocubes, innovative marines, nanocubes.

13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Either one.

Cheapest will be standard like you had with an hob filter, heater, and powerhead.

Then theres biocubes, innovative marines, nanocubes.

Agreed. 

Good luck!!

Archived