Top Shelf Aquatics

Micro Bubble scrubbing

fishkeeper22

35 minutes ago, Robin Mounter said:

Anyone tried it,  if you have,   did you see any positive effects?

Thanks

I tried it for a few months.I noticed an increase in my skimmer production and less algae on the glass. The only reason I stopped was I have an all in one and the salt creep kept goofing up my auto top off.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
On 4/23/2017 at 9:53 AM, ninjamyst said:

I do it.  Not sure if it is doing anything but my tank is doing pretty great right now and I plan to continue micro bubbling.  

Are you still scrubbing? I thinking about trying it during my bi-weekly tank cleaning, and wanted to get some peoples experience.

22 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I believe to see results you need to do it every night for 6-8hrs.

Yikes... for my tank that seems unlike to happen. 

I was wondering if by using microbubbles and high flow while blowing off the rocks and sand (and SPS) with a turkey baster that you would have better detritus export. Theory being the bubbles are trapping and carrying gunk to the surface and into the overflow and filter media.

I was reading up on it and once I read it was a nightly event for that many hrs, I scrapped the idea myself.

The purpose of scrubbing is to reduce algae and help with coral growth, c02 etc.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/micro-scrubbing-bubbles.224373/

That's a good read up on how it's properly done.

Before a waterchange you can certainly increase the flow to help remove detritus but it won't be micro bubble scrubbing