Pod Your Reef

Fish gone missing..

Derrick1980

Derrick1980

So yeah, one of my chromis is gone.  I have looked everywhere, moved all the rocks, checked behind the tank (the only place a fish could escape the tank is a 3" gap from the back glass to the hood and there's filter equipment in that gap so I don't think they would try.  I've checked the filter pumps to make sure the fish wasn't stuck... I know the truth is out there but it eludes me.

SaltyBuddha

Could he have jumped onto the floor and a pet got him? If he died in the tank, could be picked up by the clean up crew. Also could have been eaten by the pump depending on they type :scarry:

Hope you can solve the mystery

If the tank is an AIO check the rear chambers. I had a goby live in the rear chambers of one of my tanks for months. Was really surprised when I found it as I figured he'd been dead for a while. 

Derrick1980
Just now, SaltyBuddha said:

Could he have jumped onto the floor and a pet got him? If he died in the tank, could be picked up by the clean up crew. Also could have been eaten by the pump depending on they type :scarry:

Hope you can solve the mystery

No pets upstairs, no cuc, pumps all have vents over the intake.  It's cool.  I mean every fish is important but it was a $7.50 chromis.  Maybe it died and the puffer ate it.  Oh well.

Derrick1980
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

It could have died in the rocks

Moved the rocks but I suppose it's still a possibility?

Yes, it could have died in the rock where you can see it. Without a cuc, it may cause an ammonia spike.

I wouldn't advise replacing it at this point. Ensure theres no illness, ensure no spikes in ammonia.

I had a wrasse that went missing for 6-7 months... I was cleaning up my refugium n one day.. n saw something flash by.. n guess who it was... fat n happy..

I have a small goby or should I say "had" not sure because he may have jumped in to the rear chamber. Unless your tank is a Pico, it should handle the bio load if your chromis died and the tank is well established. Chromis are out in the open most of the time. It may have perished if you haven't seen it for a while.

Archived