Innovative Marine Aquariums

2g fluval spec

Geek

5 hours ago, Geek said:

Think I'll go with what I got for now. Probably set-up everything my next day off. 

Bonus: no waiting for stuff in the mail!

Update  

Equipment : AC 70 filter, 5.5g tank, wave point led, glass lid, heater,  digital thermometer,  nano mag, live rock, aragonite sand. 

20170608_134023.jpg

• Like 2

Thinking of getting a little more live rock, also thinking of adding two little terracotta pots. Does anyone have terracotta pots in a nano reef? 

yungKitten
7 hours ago, Geek said:

Thinking of getting a little more live rock, also thinking of adding two little terracotta pots. Does anyone have terracotta pots in a nano reef? 

I'm pretty sure people use terracotta to breed clownfish. I'd do a bit more research, but provisionally I think it's safe.

Here is a video of what I'm talking about. It looks like a terracotta pot to me

Here's a quick pic of the 5.5g with my planted tank led kind of over it and one with only the reef led. Wish I would of got blue and white leds and not just blue only. 

20170611_214041.jpg

20170611_214132.jpg

11 hours ago, Geek said:

I moved my GSP to this tank it's not opening at all think I killed it? 

GSP can close up after being moved.  When my tank was crashing, it stayed closed for a solid week and took about two weeks to open fully.  If it's not open within two weeks, then you can worry, but since you just moved it, I'd give it time.

What kind of light is on the tank, and is it enough?

• Like 2

The light is the same one just modded it to fit on the 5.5g. It blinds the bleep out of me it's bright. Looks like one little head finally opened only the rest are still closed. Moved the filter to middle of tank for better flow and added a little piece of sponge in the filter. 

10 hours ago, Geek said:

The light is the same one just modded it to fit on the 5.5g. It blinds the bleep out of me it's bright. Looks like one little head finally opened only the rest are still closed. Moved the filter to middle of tank for better flow and added a little piece of sponge in the filter. 

Be careful that the sponge doesn't trap detritus and leach nitrates.  You'll want to rinse it really well when you do water changes, or more often if you don't do them weekly.

GSP will probably open up pretty well over the next few days.  It's just mad about the move lol.

Just looked at your first post to see what light it is, I am not positive but I think that light may not be strong enough for that size tank in the long run.  Worth trying it, for sure but I'd keep that in mind in case you need to supplement or replace it at some point.   (I know it's bright from what you said but LED's are weird in that visual brightness doesn't necessarily correlate to PAR and correct wavelengths for coral photosynthesis).

14 minutes ago, Geek said:

I have a extra little led with white and red leds that I can use as well. Or I can try to sell them both and get something better. 

I'd see how it does after a couple weeks and go from there.  If you decide to try higher light corals I'd definitely be ready to upgrade if the light is not enough for them.

Maybe I'll just keep it low tech for now. Should I get some shrimp crabs or something like that?  Good thing I have some cold drinks to help with this tank. I like something more orange then yellow these are too sweet.

20170610_200826.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't checked this tank but me and my girlfriend or ex girlfriend I don't know anymore are on a break or something like that. It's at her house and all I know is water got low and she hasn't been turning on the light. I'm thinking the gsp is dead and I don't know what else.  

Simulated Fish

GSP is a fighter coral, mine rarely closes because of the lamp being in at night so I'm sure with is fine. I have had it closed for 2-3 weeks easily, then pop it opens and grows like crazy again. I would not worry.

Now the water level I would as that rases the salinity and even more worried if it was topped off with tap.

I went to check on it and it was about a gallon low so I took some water and filled it up. Hopefully Friday I'll be able to take some mixed SW and change out the water. Gsp looks pretty rough not open .

1 hour ago, Geek said:

I went to check on it and it was about a gallon low so I took some water and filled it up. Hopefully Friday I'll be able to take some mixed SW and change out the water. Gsp looks pretty rough not open .

Can you take the tank home or something?

Would be best to have it where you can actually care for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry life has been craaaaaazy. We just had a baby girl last week. They tank is doing good corals are opening and spreading out. Pom pom crab been missing forever now guess it didn't make it. Thinking of getting some hermit crabs or something like that.  Might get a clown fish too. 

• Like 1

Congratulations!  New frags are always exciting. ;)  If it's a 5.5 and you won't be upgrading in the next few months, I'd skip the clownfish.  Try a small goby or a small blenny like a tailspot blenny.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thinking about taking down this tank. I don't feel I have time for SW. I'm busy focusing on my planted tank and that's almost as bad. Just don't know what to do with fish and coral has algae.