Top Shelf Aquatics

2g fluval spec

Geek

I just started a nano reef a few days ago, All I have in it right now is sand and live rock. I'm thinking about getting a nano filter so any ideas on what to get would be helpful. It has a wave point led that I just got. How much water should I change per week? I'm topping it off daily with di water. 20170421_223012.jpg.6a1b7e86bbfec06392e75338ea802770.jpg

20170419_210215.jpg

20170419_093607.jpg

20170420_111627.jpg

If you were to add a filter, I'd recommend an AquaClear.  However, that tank has the "filter" built in (the back compartment).  How much you change every week is up to you and might depend on how heavily you feed.  It won't hurt to do 100% changes as long as temp and salinity are matched with water in the tank.  Even 50% changes are easy on a tank like this. ;) What are your stocking plans?

I really don't know what I'm going to stock in it but any advice would be helpful. The guy at the lfs said he had a yellow clown goby that would work since it's small. 

Almost midnight I'm sitting here thinking why isn't the filter pumping out water faster, so I took it apart which was a pain and found a piece of sponge filter stuck in the tube. Now the flow is coming out nice and fast. 

A YCG would work, but you want to make sure it's nice and fat and eating.  They are notorious for coming from the LFS not eating and they end up starving. :(  Do some reading, they've been very popular here on the forums and someone who's kept them can probably tell you better than me. :)

Also, good troubleshooting on the filter!

Changed out 50% of the water tonight  I'll test it tomorrow. I have purple looking algae on the glass scrapped the front glass didn't mess with the sides. Probably going to get a nano algae magnet. 

8 minutes ago, Geek said:

20170425_222217.jpg.9a234d96fd6706570f85c1a4f32255be.jpgI thought I would have more evaporation in this tank but nothing which is weird. 

Having a lid on it makes a huge difference, some will have virtually 0 evap. ;)

At least there's no livestock to worry about with the power outage. If you get a lot of power outage, consider a battery backup. It's a lifesaver for my 75g tank!

On 4/26/2017 at 4:52 PM, Geek said:

The lid has a round hole in the middle. 

Even then, most of the water evaporates from the water column and then condensates in the lid, dripping back into the water column.

3 hours ago, Geek said:

Decided to snow today temp dropped down to 65 in the tank so I decided to put in a heater it's starting to go up. 

1 hour ago, Geek said:

Temp is going up it's around 75° now.

Yikes!  Yes, please always have a heater in--a drop in temp like that could kill corals and inverts, or at least seriously stress them out.  Somewhere around 78-80 is ideal.  If it's one of those that doesn't have an internal or external thermostat, make sure to get a temp controller--I have seen the Inkbird (from Amazon) recommended.  Actually a temp controller isn't a bad idea anyway.