Top Shelf Aquatics

Moonlight Pendant LED DIY

reefhound

Hey Guys, I recently switched over to a kessil A160 over my 25 IM Lagoon, and love it. the only drawback is the lack of moonlight.

I'm thinking of buying the Kessil controller, and building 2 moonlight pendants that can be controlled by the Kessil controller 10v.

http://www.ledsupply.com/led-heatsinks/advanced-led-light-engine-housing

the pendants are here.

only problem.. I don't have a wiring diagram.. and, well.. I can be an idiot sometimes.

the LED's are: Typical forward voltage 3.5V @700mA (3.0V min, 4.0V max) and I will have 2 pendants (2 LED's total)

I had 2 ultramarine leds in my previous build and the look is impressive.

I could add these easily with my current mess of makers controllers and power supply, but I have seriously been working to clean up the look of my tank, and it's intelligence.

can I run both of these to a bluefish breakout board, and then plug in to the controller? a little lost here, input appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

The Kessil controller outputs a 0-10V analog signal, it will NOT power the LEDs.  It can however be used to dim (or control) a compatible LED driver.  Problem is most LED drivers expect a PWM or Pulse Width Modulation signal for dimming control.

You can find a 0-10V analog to 5V PWM converter and use that between your Kessil controller and a Meanwell LDD-700H 5V PWM dimmer along with a small DC power supply.

The breakout board you mentioned would only split the two separate signals (intensity and color) out to two easy access screw terminals, only saving you from cutting the cable from the controller.  For your application you would only need the intensity signal from the Kessil off port 2.

Archived