Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reese's Blue Spot ate my sticks 170

blizzardscout2

blizzardscout2

Thanks, there are a few fish not shown, Buster the Starry blenny and Blue Lightning the Coral Beauty named by my mom and my 5 year old son respectively. They all get along great. The tank started out as a peaceful community however the Starry, the Clown and Anthias became aggressive so no more peaceful fish were allowed, except the Sharknose Goby. No one has a problem with them. 

blizzardscout2

I gave the sump a deep cleaning a few days ago and used the bucket head wet vac from Home Depot to rid of all the broken bits of MarinePure fragments and detritus, etc. I also found out how much detritus the MarinePure cubes contain as I took them and shook them in the dirty water in the bucket and one cube instantly turned it all dark green. Needless to say this was well overdue. I gave the Vectra S1 a good cleaning along with my NYOS 120. I also tested my dKH and it is dialed in my dosing to keep it stable. It has been at 9.5 for a couple days now. I will test daily to confirm its stability as I really would like improved coral growth. Between that and the direct feedings I a hoping that should do it. Up until now my dKH has had slow swings which I attribute to the slow growth. We shall see...

• 2 weeks later...
blizzardscout2

Okay, I finished the refugium project today between windstorms and power outages. Drilling the glass wasn’t so bad. 

On another note I just noticed my Rainbow BTA split. Unsure why as all my parameters have been very stable and I’ve been feeding it. Both halves look very healthy. Problem is now I have to be ready to move other corals as the other half is on the move. 

84448E98-39A2-4C7C-A65D-D85A2784C102.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
blizzardscout2

After installing the refugium I realized the 1/2” drain was not sufficient for the flow I wanted so I drilled another 1/2” next to it and added strainers to both. I am using Bahamas Oolite sand and for now Red Dragon’s Breath Macro as I had a lot in my Reef in need of a haircut. That said if anyone wants some let me know. 

1E5CEC8F-61E6-4ACB-ABA4-346A4A66E7FD.jpeg

85AFA49F-97E8-4F9B-B301-B163E63A16B3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
blizzardscout2

I’m happy with the direction of my reef currently. I decided to remove my Kalkwasser reactor and go with the Triton Method 4 part dosing. I felt my fuge was inadequate and I added the Tunze algae reactor. It grows Chaeto quite well and has reduced my nitrates. My alk is holding at 8.7 so I’m slowly reducing the amount dosed until it hits 8. I picked up an interesting frogspawn, torch, multiple blastomussa, and a couple duncans. A month before that I added a few chalice, favia, blasto, and cyphastrea. I’m planning on adding a rock arch that is low to place acans. In the meantime I will frag some of the zoas up top along with my torch that is getting big. I’m thinking of placing the new purple torch in between my existing when fragged for contrast. The blastomussa garden as I have been trying to build is growing out nicely, but definitely not a fast grower. I really like blastos so this is a staple of my reef. I had to remove the blue spot puffer and place him in my son’s tank. He started to get a taste for blastos. He is doing fine so far in there. That’s it for now. 

• 3 months later...
blizzardscout2

Picked up a couple frags from my LFS and a restock of food and supplies. They are definitely slower but hanging in there. A birdsnest, montipora and goniopora. 

5D48EAC9-5C5A-433B-9627-E3E4C7D91D02.jpeg

56BF5E3A-CB8A-47D4-AA37-C0B6F56E7FFF.jpeg

1558956D-D361-41EB-B8A7-B581DAD884F8.jpeg

• 3 years later...
blizzardscout2

So it has been years since I posted anything. Of course it is easy for me to post now as things are going pretty good currently. Last summer I would not report that to be the case as I crashed my tank due to not verifying my salinity tester and furthermore refusing to investigate the signs that my reef was stressed and unhappy. My parameters all seemed fine and I was busy so I thought nothing of it. Yeah, I fell headlong into that trap again and unfortunately my reef paid the price. Fortunately my fish faired okay less the old fish that was a year past life expectancy. So here I am posting my truly consistent routine maintained reef photos. I really feel slow methodical maintenance and changes really make or break your success in reefing. Don’t sweat the numbers, instead pay attention to the trends and move slowly in all directions with any changes. I definitely am in a different headspace than I was last year when I was contemplating tearing down my reef to possibly take it up another day. I’m glad I didn’t because it is worth it to sit next to my aquarium after a long shift at work and enjoy the jewel of my passion. My reef is no where near where I would like it to be, but I will enjoy the slow journey getting there. I still have a lot to learn after all. - Reese

IMG_9736.thumb.jpeg.70a9dcc2abab589ec83a290a29dc4b51.jpegIMG_9734.thumb.jpeg.a03ed89b876d4deb26b497858d6ca106.jpegIMG_9735.thumb.jpeg.3a33e755bcc7cc65ae4edde8fb9fdcd1.jpeg

• Like 2

Welcome back! Hope

to see you posting more regularly 🙂 looks like you have some nice colonies of sps in there. You are doing something right 😉

• Like 1
blizzardscout2
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome back.

Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Welcome back! Hope

to see you posting more regularly 🙂 looks like you have some nice colonies of sps in there. You are doing something right 😉

Yeah the growth has really taken off for the SPS. I’m having to frag off pieces as they grow into or near other coral. It’s a good problem to have. 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I had sinus surgery and that has given me some time to catch up on maintenance. I spent a day fragging my SPS a few days ago. Here is the before and after:

IMG_0875.thumb.jpeg.edc5d05053901486e379ca79e6b8ef32.jpeg

I placed the frags in my sump I use as a frag tank.

IMG_0905.thumb.jpeg.9d028e388633a641f5981d2cdc60120f.jpeg

IMG_0903.jpeg

• Like 2