Innovative Marine Aquariums

new 10 gallon

ApocalypticSurf6

ApocalypticSurf6

well so far i have about 12 pounds of live rock in my tank, is a normal 10 gallon witha tetratec 150 filter on it, thers a false percula clown, a small hippo tang and a firefish, thers also a feather duster, emrald crab, 2 turbo snails one with a live barnacle on its shell, and i have 6 blue legged hermit crabs, its at the end of its cycling and has been running for bout 4 months and i got a lil problemo with some red algae, sould b fine tho, well if ne1 has ne suggestions/ comments on my tank let me no i can always use some pointers

AReeferIsExpensive

why would you already have a hippo tang, firefish, n clown if you are only at the end of your cycle?

Are you even half aware of how big a hippo tang gets?

ApocalypticSurf6

yea i no exactly how big the hippo gets, it should stay a little bit smaller in my tank plus all i have is slightly high nitrate, its at 40 ppm, the fish wer in ther a couple weeks ago when ther was still traces of ammonia and nitrite in ther and they wer fine

yea i no exactly how big the hippo gets, it should stay a little bit smaller in my tank
Would you stay smaller if you lived in a closet? How would your quality of life be?

plus all i have is slightly high nitrate, its at 40 ppm, the fish wer in ther a couple weeks ago when ther was still traces of ammonia and nitrite in ther and they wer fine
So this justifies keeping a fish in conditions that are nowhere near what is required? You introduced a fish into an undersized environment in which it was suffering from the ammonia and nitrite content. But now the amm and trites are gone, so everything will be ok? Do I have this straight?

Wow, you must be the epitome of ignorant!

Do you think that there is any possibility that your elevated nitrates could be due to having enough fish for a 60+ gallon in a 10 gallon. Proper husbandry, hence the red algae. Your tank is trying to tell you something.

And no, the Hippo will not downsize himself for your tank. There are one of 2 options, if not both:

1. The hippo will become stressed, develop ich, and pollute your tank.

2. The total amount of waste produced by the overstocking will cause your tank to crash.

holyherbiness

Ricky, wtf was that? was that last comment necessary? Leave your criticism at the tank, and leave it at that

agreed with others, tangs in 10 gallon=nono.

My apologies for the last post, it was not needed. I know that sometimes misspellings or improper grammar are unavoidable, but I will just leave it at that.

ApocalypticSurf6

look you dont have to critisize me directly, im new to this and all i did was take advice from people i know who have nano reefs, my tang is bout an inch long and i was told hed b no problem. so far he hasnt been plus i set my tank up with less live rock just so i could put 1 or 2 slightly larger fish, i no its not great for them and if it seems like its not gonna work out i cn always give it to some1 i know, btw do you really think im paying attention to my grammar on this, first of all english is not my subject and second its not like im writing a report

holyherbiness

Well, your grammar does help get your message across so people can help you better and not be disgusted with your writing (like those people who end every sentence with an LOL or an exclamation mark)

Chances are, your tang will grow large in a few months , and you will realize what people are talking about.

My friend kept 2 10 " oscar in a 10 gallon tank, and suffice to say, his test readings were through the roof.

ApocalypticSurf6

its ok, geez we postest 1 minute apart, btw im planning on buying a smaller false percula so it pairs with my larger false and im also thinking about getting a yashia white ray shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp, as well as either a bicolor pseudochromis or a royal gramma basslet and i would like a crocea clam because its small and i have the perfect spot for it high on top of the rock where the current it strongest, but before all that i am saving for a orbit compact fluorescent lamp for my tank so i can get some corals and anemones in there, the clam will deffintly wait for the lamp because the algae in its lips need the light, any comments would be helpful

my tang is bout an inch long and i was told hed b no problem. so far he hasnt been
He most definately will be before long, whether it be parasites, or a complete crash in which you lose everything. You won't have any warning either way. One day you'll wake up to find your tank has crashed. With a small volume of water, you have very little room for error.

i set my tank up with less live rock just so i could put 1 or 2 slightly larger fish,
If you want a heavier bioload, you need more rock, not less. Your rock is your biological filter. Less filtration = higher nutrients. Either way you couldn't cram enough rock into a 10g to provide the filtration needed for a tang in such a small volume. On top of that, all surgeonfish love to swim and need several cubic feet of open water, much more than in a 10g

i no its not great for them
If you know this, why did you do it? Do you have a complete lack of regard for the life of these beautiful (and pretty rare) fish? Or is any concern you may have for it over-ridden by a selfish desire to keep it so you can enjoy looking at it, meanwhile the fish is suffering.

and if it seems like its not gonna work out i cn always give it to some1 i know
There is no "seems" about it - it will not work, period. Regardless of how much you would like to be able to keep a tang in a 10g, you can't.
holyherbiness
Originally posted by ExiledInfidel666

its ok, geez we postest 1 minute apart, btw im planning on buying a smaller false percula so it pairs with my larger false and im also thinking about getting a yashia white ray shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp, as well as either a bicolor pseudochromis or a royal gramma basslet and i would like a crocea clam because its small and i have the perfect spot for it high on top of the rock where the current it strongest, but before all that i am saving for a orbit compact fluorescent lamp for my tank so i can get some corals and anemones in there, the clam will deffintly wait for the lamp because the algae in its lips need the light, any comments would be helpful

I'm sorry exiled, but you really need to do more research. At first, I thought that post was a joke, and I still kind of do. But you are really trying to overload your tank. Like 6 fish, clam, anemone all in a 10 gallon. I also am unsure of how well the clam would do under such lighting (it might survive, but may lose coloration)

Research research exiled! and then post here. We're not trying to flame you, but trying to advise you.

ApocalypticSurf6

iv been researching my but off non stop its all i do, theres been so many times i have found stuff to help me and then something esle tells me the exact opposite, im doing the best i cn here

A regal tang is a large fish that eats a lot and likes to swim. This combination is NOT compatible with small tanks. The bioload gets very large. My regal tang is currently outgrowing a 46 bowfront and is moving to a 75. These things get as large as an adult's hand in a relatively short time. They are also very aggressive feeders and will cause a firefish to eventually starve from hiding all the time.

ApocalypticSurf6

mines not in the least bit aggressive, i understand the fact of size and need to figure out what im gonna do but my tang is in ther twith my firefish and they swim side by side, my tang could be no more peaceful then it already is.

by the way i need to no, has anyone used a tetratec filter on their reef tank, thats what i have and i seems to be working more then perfect, are ther any drawbacks that i dont see

Wow, I feel really bad for that tang. You really should do some research on that particular fish. I understand somebody told you it would be ok, but as you can see, that person is wrong.

btw im planning on buying a smaller false percula so it pairs with my larger false and im also thinking about getting a yashia white ray shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp, as well as either a bicolor pseudochromis or a royal gramma basslet and i would like a crocea clam because its small and i have the perfect spot for it high on top of the rock where the current it strongest, but before all that i am saving for a orbit compact fluorescent lamp for my tank so i can get some corals and anemones in there

As stated above, you are overstocked as is. Please do not add anymore animals to your tank. The will simply suffer and die.

Hey all, calm down and let this thread die. Ive seen this at RC from time to time. Heres how it goes: some teen troll comes in, says " I have a 20ga with 4 clown triggers, a snowflake, seven seahorses, etc.", everyone in the forum gets upset, russhes at the thread and the kid gets some sort of thrill. Just let the thread die. -Luke

Your tang might not be agressive now but it will! As it grows and the less space there is the more territoral it will be! Don't put any more fish in there!!!!! Two perc and a clowngoby would be fine imo so remove the hippo and have a per,firefish, and goby if you need a fix for three but that would be the max i would recermend! Just don't think about putting anymore fish in there please don't!

Hey all, calm down and let this thread die. Ive seen this at RC from time to time. Heres how it goes: some teen troll comes in, says " I have a 20ga with 4 clown triggers, a snowflake, seven seahorses, etc.", everyone in the forum gets upset, russhes at the thread and the kid gets some sort of thrill. Just let the thread die. -
Prolly right...
ApocalypticSurf6

y would i get a thrill, this isnt what i want to here, all im getting out of all this is that i have to start looking at somewhere around a 55 gallon tank so that i cn have what i want in ther without everythng dieing on me, either that or pretty much rethinking my whole 10 gal, i really want 2 keep the tang so il probally look at a larger tank

Archived