Innovative Marine Aquariums

Keeping SPS Under Stock EVO 13.5 LEDs

TheBig053

I've seen a lot out there about how you can't keep SPS under the stock Fluval EVO 13.5 LEDs. But has anyone even tried? Is there any data out there on PAR for this light? I haven't found anything. 

So other EVO owners, i'll be your guinea pig!  Just picked up some red Monti Cap from my coral guy yesterday.  I know monti is one of the more forgiving SPS out there, so I think its a good starter. I also have a piece of green toxic waste lepto, but they aren't your typical SPS from what I've researched.

Disclaimer: I do plan to upgrade my lights to something more powerful with more programmable options before our family trip Hawaii in June.  I am thinking AI Prime HD. Until then, we roll with the stock LEDs. If things go south before the light upgrade I know someone local I can give the coral to.

I'll do my best to provide daily updates with photos.  Let the experiment begin!

Day 1: Just dipped in Coral RX last night so this guy gets a rest in the sand bed till my water change this afternoon or tomorrow morning. I plan to move it higher on to the rock tower, about 5-6" from the light and about 4" water depth. 

IMG_1230.thumb.JPG.55841ab6e3a6ffaa89114dbb3194f51b.JPG

Good experiment, I did try something similar in a pico with a much weaker light and it failed. lol Had to put a giant AI SOL over a 4 gallon tank. :P

6 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Good experiment, I did try something similar in a pico with a much weaker light and it failed. lol Had to put a giant AI SOL over a 4 gallon tank. :P

Hah, kinda defeats the purpose of a nano tank!

Monti cap is a good choice for this but I'd put it higher in the tank. Basically give it the best real estate for light. 

Sps can be kept under various lights, not just the high end ones. I have sps under an aquamaxx. 

The issue is longevity of life. A few mnths is nothing, its will they survive after yrs?

2 hours ago, duderubble said:

Monti cap is a good choice for this but I'd put it higher in the tank. Basically give it the best real estate for light. 

Yep, already moved it up to the high perch a top a rock tower/shelf.  Its about 5-6" from the light and 3-4" depth. 

Just my opinion on LED lighting and your experiment... it may work but the high end lights seem to bring out the colors of corals much better than the cheeper ones. I would be a bit careful not to bleach yours out.

I am a fan of the corallife biocubes and the new 32 gallon got my attn. With the LEDS but they are not a great spectrum from the reading I have done. What I am asking is it worth having the corals thrive when they won't show off there potential? 

There are more factors than just lighting (and alkalinity and calcium, and even flow), especially when lighting is less than optimum.  Alternate energy sources may be more essential, like feeding and phosphate levels.

I wouldn't necessarily expect it to bleach because of the light, unless it was dying.  Instead, I'd guess that the zooxanthellae (the symbiotic algae in coral, which is brownish in color) would become more pronounced (especially in the presence of higher levels of phosphate) , in an attempt to produce more energy with less light.  As implied by others, this would affect the coloration of the coral, but not necessarily its health.

natalia_la_loca
2 hours ago, jambon said:

Just my opinion on LED lighting and your experiment... it may work but the high end lights seem to bring out the colors of corals much better than the cheeper ones. 

These corals are under a $25 LED.

33351178863_3357c3a8b5_b.jpg

1 hour ago, seabass said:

There are more factors than just lighting (and alkalinity and calcium, and even flow), especially when lighting is less than optimum.  Alternate energy sources may be more essential, like feeding and phosphate levels.

I wouldn't necessarily expect it to bleach because of the light, unless it was dying.  Instead, I'd guess that the zooxanthellae (the symbiotic algae in coral, which is brownish in color) would become more pronounced (especially in the presence of higher levels of phosphate) , in an attempt to produce more energy with less light.  As implied by others, this would affect the coloration of the coral, but not necessarily its health.

Good to know.  Obviously, I'll be doing my best to control all these other factors/conditions that contribute to the overall health of the coral and may ultimately affect the outcome regardless of the light used. 

2 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

That's some fine looking corals... IMO an exception to "you only get what you pay for"

If I could get results like that for 25 buks I would grab a dozen. I am by no means an expert on lighting just going by past exprience.

Of course you can keep SPS using the stock lighting.  But you are not going to get great color under it.  It's not going to have that "pop" from blues.  If the monti goes south, it won't be because of the stock lighting.  It will be because your tank is too new or your water quality is poor.

4 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

What LED lights are you using?  Do you have a link to it?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like my "experiment" may not really be necessary or all that insightful after all. However, before beginning this, the general consensus on this site seemed to be that the lights were simply not powerful enough to support SPS.  Perhaps I misunderstood. 

Anyways, day 2 update!

Under the full light

TN2lOTl.jpg

Actinic

qx0gb9H.jpg

Notes: Performed weekly 20% water change this morning and tested the parameters

Temp: 79

pH: 8.2

Amm: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 2

KH: 9.8

Mg: 1600

Ca: 480

Salinity: 1.025

If you can define your goal more specifically you can still do it.  The saying "can't be done" is rather vague.  What does it mean specifically?  That SPS can't be kept long-term under these lights?  That they can't maintain their color under these lights? That they can't grow?  Furthermore, which SPS are we talking about?  We already know some SPS actually do better in lower light compared to say, certain acropora species. 

The cheapest way to determine if these lights will do, is a simple measurement of PAR.   Once you've got some concrete numbers down, you can then more readily define your goal.  If the PAR is within range of what is typical for this species in captive conditions, your question is already answered (i.e., yes, these lights will do). If lower, then you can move forward with the experiment to answer the question: will they survive under these lower PAR?

Not to sound harsh, but an "experiment" regarding light without actually taking measurements of said light isn't much of an experiment.

Not too harsh. I am no scientist :)

Goal would ultimately be seeing some growth and no loss, or change, of coloration. Sorry, I don't have any specific measurements to quantify that by other than photo documenting. Suppose I could begin measuing the coral with a ruler daily.  I also don't own a  PAR meter to test the lights and haven't found any PAR information available on them. 

In hindsight, the thread title is a bit hyperbolic and vague. Will update accordingly. 

1 hour ago, TheBig053 said:

However, before beginning this, the general consensus on this site seemed to be that the lights were simply not powerful enough to support SPS.  Perhaps I misunderstood. 

I think a lot of the consensus revolves around the light not being strong enough for acropora and the like. Lower-light SPS should still be fine!

Archived