Top Shelf Aquatics

Coral_chef 14gal IM (more new coral 12/3)

Coral_chef

Just now, 1891Bro said:

Not all real Reef rock is sold wet. Got mine bone dry but had evidence of it having been wet at one time. That was why I asked to begin with. 

also true.  i have seen it being sold in boxes on a pallet as well as being in tanks.

• Like 1
HouseOf1000Corals

Spent some time today at my local pond thinking about what I'm going to do with my 14 gallon for the contest and making new fish friends ? Tank gets here Thursday! Can't wait to start building. #fish #saltwaterfish #coralcouple #coraladdict #ispendallmymoneyoncoral #nanoreef #spscoral #softcoral #eatsleepreef

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, HouseOf1000Corals said:

Spent some time today at my local pond thinking about what I'm going to do with my 14 gallon for the contest and making new fish friends ? Tank gets here Thursday! Can't wait to start building. #fish #saltwaterfish #coralcouple #coraladdict #ispendallmymoneyoncoral #nanoreef #spscoral #softcoral #eatsleepreef

I don't see you on the official contest list.  You should tell @metrokat and don't forget to start a tank thread :)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I don't see you on the official contest list.  You should tell @metrokat and don't forget to start a tank thread :)

She's the girlfriend on the tank with me. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

How hard is an "easy" sps like birds nest really to maintain?

would good reef salt like the Red Sea max and klak in my top off be enough?

don't try to accomplish too much at once.  You want to make sure you know whats wrong when/if something goes wrong.  I would not put kalk in a top off.  Your salt should be fine. and i think you may have difficulty with sps while keeping up with the food demands of a mandarin because of water quality.  I would focus on either the mandarin or sps but not both.  And I think montipora or a green slimer acro are the easiest beginner sps.

Sps comes down to three things: light, flow, and water quality.  But mainly water quality and light. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, lkoechle said:

don't try to accomplish too much at once.  You want to make sure you know whats wrong when/if something goes wrong.  I would not put kalk in a top off.  Your salt should be fine. and i think you may have difficulty with sps while keeping up with the food demands of a mandarin.  I would focus on either the mandarin or sps but not both.  And I think montipora or a green slimer acro are the easiest beginner sps.

Yeah, am getting a little nervous about the madarin. I am kinda debating getting the tank established for the 100days. 

After that getting an hob refugium and a madarin. 

So now we are looking into sps. ?

Why not use kalk in the ato?

Hey! Like you said, you have 100 days for the final product, right? You can take a month or two to establish a pod population and how you're going to get supplemental pods, train the mandarin onto frozen if it isn't already eating frozen, etc. :) 

The ATO's consumption is going to vary based on the weather, your windows, etc. You can get away with it in a timed top off (markalot's beautiful tank!), where you know exactly how much water you're adding, the usage of the tank, how much kalk you need to add to the reservoir. But an ATO will add varying amounts. There's also the fact that this is a small water volume, so you'd have to be very precise with how much kalk you're dosing.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Coral_chef said:

Yeah, am getting a little nervous about the madarin. I am kinda debating getting the tank established for the 100days. 

After that getting an hob refugium and a madarin. 

So now we are looking into sps. ?

Why not use kalk in the ato?

You don't need it and you shouldn't mess with something unless you know you need it :P  Two part is easier anyways IMO.  But your consistant water changes should keep up with sps demands in a tank this small

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

You don't need it and you shouldn't mess with something unless you know you need it :P  Two part is easier anyways IMO.  But your consistant water changes should keep up with sps demands in a tank this small

Yeah I was thinking weekly 3 gal approximate changes 

I gotta tell ya, I think you're asking for trouble if you have never had a Reef Tank before and plan on tackling both a Mandarin and SPS right outta the starting gate. 

We wanna see you succeed!!

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I gotta tell ya, I think you're asking for trouble if you have never had a Reef Tank before and plan on tackling both a Mandarin and SPS right outta the starting gate. 

We wanna see you succeed!!

I've been researching for months. Because I want to be successful. @HouseOf1000Corals Is probably sick of me talking about reef tanks by now. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

I've been researching for months. Because I want to be successful. @HouseOf1000Corals Is probably sick of me talking about reef tanks by now. 

As a former mandy keeper who researched for years before I felt comfortable getting one, reading is different than doing. lol  It's like reading all the parenting books in the world hardly mean a thing when they put that baby in your arms.  It is a lot of work.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

We got our tank in and unpacked. 

We also got our first live stock in!!!  

And he he is already trained to eat pellets!!

IMG_9220.JPG

Ooooh, the super Limited Edition Nano Catfish!!!!! omgomgomg

• Like 7
On 4/26/2017 at 11:19 AM, Coral_chef said:

She's the girlfriend on the tank with me. 

If Kat is your girl then you have plenty of knowledge available to dive into sps!

1 hour ago, Coral_chef said:

IMG_9220.JPG

I cycle with catfish too :wub:

57 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

:lol:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I want a Super Limited Edition Nano Catfish but @skoechle says we've hit our max bioload. :'(

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

IMG_9220.JPG

It looks like you are overfeeding it. You might want to beef up your cleanup crew.

• Like 6

Help!!

ok so newbie question.

why would I need the Intank refugium basket? 

Could I not just stick refugium mud and cheto in chamber two. 

Just curious what benefit the basket basket would add

3 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

Help!!

ok so newbie question.

why would I need the Intank refugium basket? 

Could I not just stick refugium mud and cheto in chamber two. 

Just curious what benefit the basket basket would add

Chambers one and two are connected, so mud can only be so tall without impeding flow through that side of the filtration. And the fuge basket keeps the chaeto contained as it grows to minimize the amount of strands you find blocking your return pump's intake :)

• Like 5
HouseOf1000Corals
On 4/28/2017 at 10:33 AM, 1891Bro said:

If Kat is your girl then you have plenty of knowledge available to dive into sps!

Sadly I'm his girlfriend and have zero knowledge of sps corals haha but we are researching like crazy! 

• Like 2

Well something posted above confused me then. 

13 minutes ago, HouseOf1000Corals said:

Sadly I'm his girlfriend and have zero knowledge of sps corals haha but we are researching like crazy!