ReefCleaners.org

Coral_chef 14gal IM (more new coral 12/3)

Coral_chef

Coral_chef

Just noticed today we have some Xenias (sp?) growing on the back of one of our frags, debating on cutting them out. 

What do yall think keep em? Or no?

IMG_9470.JPG

• Like 1
coralcousins

Nice ! Doesn't really look like Xenias. More of a clove polyp or blue star polyps or maybe a type of Anthelia Forgot the name but they multiple fast. 

• Like 3

Agree with CC above! They can be really pretty - I have blue cloves in ny reef tank and love them. But maybe put the frag on its own rock and see if they go nuts or not 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

@stellablue the ricordea are attached to the same frag how would I separate the two? 

I guess you can't really ... just put the whole frag on a separate rock or try to cut just enough rock where the ricordea is attached 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

Just noticed today we have some Xenias (sp?) growing on the back of one of our frags, debating on cutting them out. 

IMG_9470.JPG

Send them to me.  I will get rid of them for you. :lol:

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

Do I just kinda wait for them to go away or should I add more CUC

Its a mix.  If they get really out of control (like threatening your rics) you can add more CUC, but they will blow themselves out.  They are consuming silica in the tank and eventually your silica levels will be very low and they will go away.  I call these "new tank uglies".

• Like 2
charlesncharge
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, Coral_chef said:

IMG_9470.JPG

Blue snowflake Anthelia I think!? I would personally get that out! But a lot of people seem to  like them?? I did too until this happened!!

YES!! That mound on the right was a zoa colony! It does look nice but is taking over the tank... rocks, sand, coral.... And I cant seem to find out much on getting rid of them without a total tear down!

IMG_2532.JPG

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, charlesncharge said:

Blue snowflake Anthelia I think!? I would personally get that out! But a lot of people seem to  like them?? I did too until this happened!!

YES!! That mound on the right was a zoa colony! It does look nice but is taking over the tank... rocks, sand, coral.... And I cant seem to find out much on getting rid of them without a total tear down!

IMG_2532.JPG

Oh my! Yep, I'd get rid of it too if that's the outcome!

• Like 1
Coral_chef

We decided finally on names for the clowns, of course the are horror themed. 

Jason voorhees~the black ocellaris 

freddy Kruger~the snowflake clown. 

The acans seem seem to be acclimating well, they also seem to love this small sample bottle of reef roids I got. 

FTS: 5/23

IMG_9488.JPG

IMG_9489.JPG

• Like 8
Coral_chef

Bought a Astrea snail 1.99$ 

and a magarita snail .99$ 

they both seem to be doing pretty good, really like that the magarita snail focuses on the glass.

also switched to a frozen food from flakes, the fish seem to like it more. Been 3 days but also seem to be having a brown algae outbreak on the glass. Will be getting a mag cleaner. Might switch back to flakes though, easier to control portion. 

FTS:

IMG_9522.JPG.d7722d54c49d5ce9ba09e4f0585

Also had to move one of the acans down it was browning out about 6inches deep in the tank. 

• Like 5
Coral_chef

We recently got a margarita snail, I love how well he cleans but damn he is clumsy. 

Already knocked over a mushroom and a Acan, the same acan that is barley holding on to life.  :tears:

Just now, Coral_chef said:

We recently got a margarita snail, I love how well he cleans but damn he is clumsy. 

Already knocked over a mushroom and a Acan, the same acan that is barley holding on to life.  :tears:

Have you tried a Lugol's dip for the acan?  Couple drops of Lugol's iodine in a cup of tank water for maybe 4-5 minutes.  Also try feeding it mysis or pellets even.  That's what helped my acans come back from the brink of death after they hated the move!

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Have you tried a Lugol's dip for the acan?  Couple drops of Lugol's iodine in a cup of tank water for maybe 4-5 minutes.  Also try feeding it mysis or pellets even.  That's what helped my acans come back from the brink of death after they hated the move!

Excellent advice. 

Acans are tough, will very likely bounce back if you do the above. 

• Like 2
Coral_chef
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'm going to go to my LFS tomorrow maybe they will have a iodine dip I could use. 

Also my tunze osmolator pump seems to not be doing so hot. It use to be a solid flow into the tank now it's really struggling to get some drops out. 

25 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

I'm going to go to my LFS tomorrow maybe they will have a iodine dip I could use. 

Also my tunze osmolator pump seems to not be doing so hot. It use to be a solid flow into the tank now it's really struggling to get some drops out. 

Try taking the pump apart and give it a good cleaning. My acans love Larrys reef food (LRS).

27 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

I use the Kent Marine brand Lugol's but there are others as well.  Very good to have on hand as an all-purpose dip!  I dip all new corals in Lugol's as I don't have anything else yet.

Could the pump be clogged?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Coral_chef said:

Maybe the pump is clogged I'm actually at work till 2am so It will have to wait till tomorrow 

Yeah I reckon so! :lol: Night shift ftw?

• Like 1