Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Duderubble's Lagoon of Rubble - a lounge rat's contest tank.

duderubble

duderubble

I just finished the door. Stand is stained, door is drying glue. It will be stained ebony and finished with satin poly. 

• Like 1
duderubble

Everything is finished and drying. Just needs the door attached. Should be ready to bring in tomorrow but I don't know if I'll get to it. 

duderubble

It's time for the salt question. I'm hoping to for the first time keep spa other than montipora. Reef crystals are easy to get and cheap. Anyone want to talk me into something else? Red Sea? Oceanic? Dude at the lfs was trying to talk me into Fritz. Looks like generic boxes from the 1980s. 

Also I bought a bag of instant ocean to keep my lr in while I completed the stand. Is there any reason. I shouldn't just cycle with more of that and then switch to the permanent mix with a near 100% WC before loading livestock? 

debbeach13

Instant ocean is fine to cycle the tank with. Many reefers use it or reef crystals. Also used by many public aquariums. There must be hundreds of threads about which salt is best.

Weetabix7

I've heard REALLY good stuff about Fritz and will likely start using it soon myself, but I'd think it's fine to cycle with IO or RC.

• Like 1
duderubble

First attempt at a scape. I used the water from the rock stewing which I probably shouldn't have. Ammonia anD nitrite 0 , nitrate 05.  I went old school with a piece of shrimp to start a cycle. 

Light is due Saturday. I plan to mount it with conduit coming out of the stand.  

Mangroves due monday. 

20170504_164829.jpg

• Like 3
reeftankguy

Its a start.

Maybe ray will be constructive with his comments by offering up some design changes.

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

Scape looks like shit, IMO. 

Id be happy to give you some constructive criticism.... Make your scape less shitty. HTH.

as for salt, use whatever you like. Fritz is probably the same as some other salt that costs more. Since, that's all Fritz used to do, is make products for other companies to rebrand. While I've never used their salt, I use many of their other products and have always been happy with them.

• Like 1

Wow ray,   cold man, cold...    Duderubble, I'm as much of a beginner as you are, heck I'm even less because I don't even have my tank yet.. Its on layaway. What stands out to me is just how big the rocks are in that size of a tank. Looks like a lot to too much rock in that size tank.  It doesn't look at all natural, or a flow to it.     Kinda looks like base rock that you would actually use other rock to build off of.

I saw this Journal on this site here. I think this may be what you were thinking of.    Notice how it kinda triangulates up and looks like one piece.

Maybe try taking out the top two pieces on the right and taking the cave like piece on the left and putting it on the big rock on the right.   and then I would take that little piece in the middle and the other small one and put them on the left where the cave is..

lol.   I see..   geesh.. 25,000 posts..

Well I think in my brain I saw him say first attempt at aquascaping. lol.    first attempt..  meaning first attempt on that tank with that design. lol..    dang my dirty blondeness, or what I have left of it..   Seems to have moved from my head to the rest of body.

On 5/5/2017 at 6:03 PM, zohar78 said:

lol.   I see..   geesh.. 25,000 posts..

Well I think in my brain I saw him say first attempt at aquascaping. lol.    first attempt..  meaning first attempt on that tank with that design. lol..    dang my dirty blondeness, or what I have left of it..   Seems to have moved from my head to the rest of body.

Haha yeah some of these guys give each other a hard time about aquascaping.  Not the first time I've seen people rib each other about it on here.  Welcome to NR, this is a great place to learn the hobby. :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
duderubble

Scape is somewhat improved. Cycle is done. So far no luck getting the lights up and running. I have an email in to Dave. I got frustrated and ordered a light from reefbreeders last night. If I can get the nanobox running I'll keep that one in reserve. But I need light before my mangroves die. 

Added 10 hermits and a little serpent star. Also a small zoa frag thinking the lights would work when I plugged them up. Completed a major water change before adding everything during the rescape. 

20170520_160742.jpg

20170520_160659.jpg

• Like 3