Top Shelf Aquatics

Duderubble's Lagoon of Rubble - a lounge rat's contest tank.

duderubble

Current FTS

May 26, 2017

Equipment:

IM 25 lagoon 

quiet one brand pump in rear chamber.

Jebao pp4 wavemaker

IM media rack 

Reefbreeders superlux light

20170526_161008.jpg

• Like 3

Ive been out of the game for a few years now but stupid Calvin started this lounge rat contest and I guess I'm in.

So I bought this sweet tank from a local reefer. So far just the tank. I'm thinking about a stand (kitchen cabinet repurpose or scratch build) Im leaning toward a build because I want it to be taller with the shallow tank. 

For lighting I want a nanobox duo but that'smore than I want to spend. Looking at a maxspect razor 70 or 120. Thoughts or other ideas? I really want a small light footprint. A kessil pendant would look sweet if I could get one cheap and if it would serve. 

I'm planning to break the waterline with rock, plants and mangrove. 

For circulation I'm thinking of a Jebao sw8 or the cp25. I like that long narrow look. Any thoughts on effectiveness?

I plan to run chemi pure but no plans for a skimner. Let's see what mangrove and chaeto do. 

So here's the tank loaded in the car. 

20170419_183053.jpg

• Like 5

Rock cresting waterline, mangroves.... Im following. Love some different looking setups, same ol same ol gets kinda boring after a while. Good luck!!

• Like 1

I bought the nano box duo. I'm going out of town for work so work will begin next weekend. I need to get a stand done first I guess. 

But you people need to tell me which jebao wave maker to buy. 

• Like 1

I'm leaning toward the rw4 with the possibility of a second if needed. Reviews on the cp 25 are terrible. And the 8 sounds like it is overkill. 

On 4/22/2017 at 0:31 PM, duderubble said:

I'm leaning toward the rw4 with the possibility of a second if needed. Reviews on the cp 25 are terrible. And the 8 sounds like it is overkill. 

Be sure to read reviews of the Jebao powerheads. Lots of folks saying they don't last long. 

The cps seem to have universally bad reviews. The rest seem to have better reviews. Idk. Its only fifty bucks so cheaper than a korallia plus controller. If you get two then the korallias areally a little cheaper.

RayWhisperer

IME, jebao wavemakers last 1 to 2 years before crapping out. That's the wp 10, wp 25, pp 4 and pp 8. Last time I had the pumps crap out, I got a replacement pump ( no controller or mount) as a replacement for, I think $20.

IME, koralia wavemakers last about 1 to 2 years before crapping out. That's the 240's, 425's and the 550 (before these new 565's. Never had one of them.) last time I had a pump crap out it went in the trash and I couldn't get a replacement pump unless I bought a new one.

So, yeah. Jebao pumps are cheap crap. So are the koralias. For that matter, look how many times people replace the dry side, or wet side parts in a mp 10. I'd bet they go almost as often as the other two. The only difference is you can rebuild them, and you pay about 4 times as much for one. I won't argue, the mp series put out the most flow out of the 3. I'd rather buy 4 jebaos over 8 years. The choice is yours, though.

This carpenter I know. 

I've decided to go with one made from scratch because I want it to be 42" high. That extra 6" will give better viewing for the shorter lagoon tank.

Stand construction has begun. Pretty much cut except the door which I can do later if necessary. I hope to get it together tomorrow and stained. Once it's dry the cycle can cycle. 

Simulated Fish

If your still interested in a maxspect 120 I know a guy ;)

All this contest tanks.... Might need to start my 8g biocube up again.

I got a used nanobox duo on the way. 

So about rock. Most of it came from a place that marinates dry rock with live rock about 50/50 mix and sells it for a buck a pound. Then I bought another 4 pound chunk of live with coraline and possible hitchhikers.  Here's the stack on the floor at the fish store. It should be about 3 or 4 inches above the waterline. 

20170427_134809.jpg

• Like 2