Cultivated Reef

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

I added the NPS Gorg back in, and chiseled away at a larger rock in order to save the RFA hiding in it, which I thought was a goner.

IMG_1899.thumb.jpeg.3903e8ff57b54a9a325607dc55138dd4.jpeg

Can't figure out why I have such trouble with getting RFAs and Ricordea to grow in this tank.

Still not sure what I'm going to do here.

I thought about Putting in a few Favites, Chalacis, cyphestrea, etc to encrust all of the rockwork but I don't want to have to worry about dosing.

Maybe some GSP, pulsing Xenia, clove polyps etc.

Maybe transfer some Euphilia from the 29.

Lots of possibilities

• Like 3

Upon inspecting the tank, I noticed the little RFA was no longer on the little rock that I had encouraged her to attach to. Very disappointed and concerned that she was sucked into the back chambers. I got out my trusty flashlight and went searching, but alas had no luck. This afternoon I took the blue paper off of the "back"side that I use for the purpose of taking photos, and low and behold" There she is! She positioned herself perfectly. So I'm happy for 2 reasons. 1, she is strong enough to withstand the currents and relocate herself. And2, she picked a great spot for viewing. I hop she stays there!

IMG_1903.thumb.jpeg.34aef79ba6394693c7b9b2ae749b366b.jpeg

Oh, and 3, I can take the extra little rock out and keep with a more minimalist look

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Can't figure out why I have such trouble with getting RFAs and Ricordea to grow in this tank.

That really surprises me. Did you target feed the RFAs at all? 

25 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

That really surprises me. Did you target feed the RFAs at all? 

Yep. Slurry of frozen LRS and reef chili once a week. Same as the 5 year old one in my other tank

12 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Yep. Slurry of frozen LRS and reef chili once a week. Same as the 5 year old one in my other tank

Wow-so strange. 
Looking forward to seeing what you do in the next iteration of this tank! 
Kinda still wish I had my IM14....

• Like 1
10 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

So what’s the secret? Do tell! 

Low light and decent flow seems to be bringing mine back. Think near bottom of the tank.

Added some rhodactis mushrooms from the 29, and a little frag plug of some unimpressive Zoanthids. Went to the LFS in hopes of finding a new fish to put in, but wasn't happy with any of the choices-Neon goby, shark nose goby, nondescript blennies... Decided to add a bottle of tigger pods, because They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!, and because I think I'm going to try a Catalina goby when 1 comes available.

Photo from live aquaria.

lg_71003_Catalina_Goby.jpg.0c3858ed4de5e6884fc3700fd58567d8.jpg

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Added some rhodactis mushrooms from the 29, and a little frag plug of some unimpressive Zoanthids. Went to the LFS in hopes of finding a new fish to put in, but wasn't happy with any of the choices-Neon goby, shark nose goby, nondescript blennies... Decided to add a bottle of tigger pods, because They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!, and because I think I'm going to try a Catalina goby when 1 comes available.

Photo from live aquaria.

lg_71003_Catalina_Goby.jpg.0c3858ed4de5e6884fc3700fd58567d8.jpg

Those are such beautiful fish. 😍 I was thinking they needed a cold water setup... are you gonna try to do a cold water tank? 

26 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Those are such beautiful fish. 😍 I was thinking they needed a cold water setup... are you gonna try to do a cold water tank? 

I thought they were a cold water fish as well, and when I mentioned that to LFS guy he pointed one out in their display tank that had been thriving in there for awhile(Didn't ask how long, but should have). Still researching it and will not get it if I feel my setup won't work. A little concern also over it being very similar in size and shape to the green banded goby that already resides in the tank.

I've actually been looking into a cold water tank for some time now. I don't think the ice probe will fit in any of the chambers of this tank or I probably would have converted this awhile ago. Have looked into the micro-reefs, and that seems the way to go. But I don't want 3 tanks for sure, and don't have a place to store one if I break it down. So-🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I thought they were a cold water fish as well, and when I mentioned that to LFS guy he pointed one out in their display tank that had been thriving in there for awhile(Didn't ask how long, but should have). Still researching it and will not get it if I feel my setup won't work. A little concern also over it being very similar in size and shape to the green banded goby that already resides in the tank.

I've actually been looking into a cold water tank for some time now. I don't think the ice probe will fit in any of the chambers of this tank or I probably would have converted this awhile ago. Have looked into the micro-reefs, and that seems the way to go. But I don't want 3 tanks for sure, and don't have a place to store one if I break it down. So-🤷‍♀️

Yeah looks like live aquaria says they can live for a while in regular reef tank temps, but it can shorten their lifespan... 

I’m not loving having 3 tanks, seems burdensome to me... definitely wouldn’t recommend it.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I have a tiger goby with 5 green banded gobies in my 6 gallon shallow tank and they get along fine. A bit of disagreements but there are also tons of places to hide and get away

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

SO this tank has been broken down, and all of the livestock transferred to the new RS250. Hubby has expressed interest in setting up a FOWLER at his office so live rock is soaking in a holding tank and sand getting rinsed until I can get around to going to his office and setting it up.

• Like 2
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021
On 3/8/2021 at 1:52 AM, banasophia said:

I’m not loving having 3 tanks, seems burdensome to me... definitely wouldn’t recommend it.

I agree 100% much happier now with one in the office and one (ok two but a Betta does not count) at home

• Like 2