Coral Vue Hydros

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

This guy is extra salty

I have had bad luck with the purple ribbon gorg or maybe it was already dead when I got it. And i have always wondered what it looked like with pe 

• Like 2

The above photos are all from my iPhone. I have some others on my good camera that I haven't looked at yet, so maybe I'll get some more up in a little bit.

Also, fish guard came so put that on, and new lid has shipped so hopefully I'll be able to keep Rover home and they will all eventually get along.

• Like 2

It's funny; I noticed the same problem with algae overgrowing some of the yellow whip gorgonians (Pterogorgia citrina) at my workplace as well. They still try to extend their polyps and kind of solider on and survive, but they get all gangly with epiphytes. If only that cherub angel had pulled through! I bet she would have helped out a lot with that algae. ><

• Like 5
10 hours ago, billygoat said:

It's funny; I noticed the same problem with algae overgrowing some of the yellow whip gorgonians (Pterogorgia citrina) at my workplace as well.

I had a yellow whip for a few years but it always seemed to be shedding and/or covered with algae. It slowly died, even though I would try to help it stay clean every time I did a water change. 😕

• Sad 2
On 8/25/2019 at 1:03 PM, Pjanssen said:

It is pretty cool. Just goes to show how hardy these little fish are. It's hard to tell if they are getting along. Sometimes it seems as tho Goby #1 goes after and chases Rover. Other times I see them lying side by side. They will like either become a mated pair or choose opposite sides of the tank to live on. 

Just curious if this is the most cleaner gobies you've had in one tank?  Ever had more? (Anyone else you know of have more?)

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Just curious if this is the most cleaner gobies you've had in one tank?  Ever had more? (Anyone else you know of have more?)

There use to be  a mated pair of neon gobies and a mated pair of masked gobies in here. I think if they are mated when you get them they will be good together. I bought these two together in hopes that they would mate, but I guess you never know. I've heard if you put 3 in, then 2 will likely pair up and kill the 3rd. I guess it depends on the size of the tank too

• Thanks 1

Just added 1/8th tsp Reef Builder to try to raise Alkalinity closer to 7-7.2 (currently 6.4). Once I get it where I want it, I plan to add Kalkwasser to my ATO with hopes of keeping Calcium and Alkalinity a bit more stable.

• Like 1

Alkalinity up to 7.3 which is right where I want it. Will test daily and dose accordingly until I can get Kalkwasser set up. I want to set up a pH monitor on the tank so I can keep an eye out for overdosing

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Keep in mind that you have to recalibrate these regularly.

Are they more trouble than they are worth? I was watching BRS video about Kalk and he recommended it because if for some reason the ATO malfunctions and doses too much of the Kalkwasser at one time then the pH will spike to possible detrimental levels.

On 9/30/2019 at 5:09 PM, This guy is extra salty said:

I have had bad luck with the purple ribbon gorg or maybe it was already dead when I got it. And i have always wondered what it looked like with pe 

The purple ribbon is a very beautiful and hardy gorgonian that can tolerate some fairly turbulent water movement. They are particularly thick shedders, so when they are in their shedding phase they need quite a lot of flow. Penny's here is quite large and very beautiful, and I am sure it is going to look nice and shaggy once things settle down. 😁

Purple ribbons also have fairly large and lovely polyps when they are fully extended. I tried to zoom in on mine but the image is a bit grainy:

IMG_0583.thumb.JPG.ef66e401d4986ab7d51e12a9050701f8.JPG

Anyway though! I am really glad to hear that things are starting to turn around. I feel that stabilizing alkalinity will go a long way towards getting this system back on its feet. I've always been scared of kalk in topoff water because I read that it destroys your ATO pump, but there are plenty of examples of it going well too. Just keep an eye on it and make sure that all equipment is functioning properly and I am sure you'll meet with great success. 😊

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I've always been scared of kalk in topoff water because I read that it destroys your ATO pump, but there are plenty of examples of it going well too. Just keep an eye on it and make sure that all equipment is functioning properly and I am sure you'll meet with great success. 😊

Yeah, I definitely have some reservations about the Kalkwasser, but I know I won'y be consistent about manual 2 part dosing so I don't really know what other option I would have.

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
20 hours ago, billygoat said:

The purple ribbon is a very beautiful and hardy gorgonian that can tolerate some fairly turbulent water movement. They are particularly thick shedders, so when they are in their shedding phase they need quite a lot of flow. Penny's here is quite large and very beautiful, and I am sure it is going to look nice and shaggy once things settle down. 😁

Purple ribbons also have fairly large and lovely polyps when they are fully extended. I tried to zoom in on mine but the image is a bit grainy:

IMG_0583.thumb.JPG.ef66e401d4986ab7d51e12a9050701f8.JPG

Anyway though! I am really glad to hear that things are starting to turn around. I feel that stabilizing alkalinity will go a long way towards getting this system back on its feet. I've always been scared of kalk in topoff water because I read that it destroys your ATO pump, but there are plenty of examples of it going well too. Just keep an eye on it and make sure that all equipment is functioning properly and I am sure you'll meet with great success. 😊

I ordered another one from www.live-plants.com

hopefully it will be alive tomorrow when it comes in...

@Pjanssen tracking shows tomorrow for delivery, please let me know if there is any damage.

• Like 3
On 10/1/2019 at 10:10 AM, Pjanssen said:

Added a spin stream nozzle. I love the idea of it, but it is quite loud so I'm not sure It's going to work for me. Had one in the beginning of this build and don't remember it being so loud.

I'm reading through your thread and hopefully things continue to get more and more stable. It's not fun going through issues with a tank (my 20 gallon is in a  similar position currently). Also, if you don't like the spin stream, check out the rfg nozzles from @Vivid Creative Aqautics, I have had them running since they first come on to the market and love them! 

Good luck with everything!

• Like 1

Things are not going well for this tank right now

First: the new custom lid came. It’s beautiful, really, almost perfect. Almost. It is between 1/8 and 1/4 inch to big and does not fit. I’m not sure if I mismeasured or what. Been trying to cut it and sand it  down but not having an easy go of it. I’m dealing with it and trying to not have another made if I don’t have to. 

Next: while doing a water change and cleaning the tank I knocked my brand new  Nano-box into the water. Pretty sure it’s fried. 

Lastly: can’t find River 

JUST SHOOT ME!

• Sad 4
  • Wow 2
3 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Things are not going well for this tank right now

First: the new custom lid came. It’s beautiful, really, almost perfect. Almost. It is between 1/8 and 1/4 inch to big and does not fit. I’m not sure if I mismeasured or what. Been trying to cut it and sand it  down but not having an easy go of it. I’m dealing with it and trying to not have another made if I don’t have to. 

Next: while doing a water change and cleaning the tank I knocked my brand new  Nano-box into the water. Pretty sure it’s fried. 

Lastly: can’t find River 

JUST SHOOT ME!

Sending you some good reef vibes. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Thanks 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021