Pod Your Reef

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

• 2 weeks later...

My heart is broken and my brain is stumped. woke this morning to find my new angel in quarantine dead and the sailfish blend not far behind. Immediately tested water and ammonia and nitrites are both at 0.  fed them last night and they both ate. Don't notice any spots or discoloration other than the sailfish is not so black. Anemone shrimp and snail that were in the tank are both fine. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't feed them enough.

• Sad 4
  • Wow 1
48 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't feed them enough.

Unless they weren't eating in QT, I wouldn't think that was case.  Sorry about the loss. :sad:

I'd guess some sort of disease, or maybe even a problem with collection.  TBH, I'm not sure if KPA collects their own fish, or relies on other companies or individuals.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, seabass said:

Unless they weren't eating in QT, I wouldn't think that was case.  Sorry about the loss. :sad:

I'd guess some sort of disease, or maybe even a problem with collection.  TBH, I'm not sure if KPA collects their own fish, or relies on other companies or individuals.

They were definitely eating. I guess that's why we quarantine.

• Like 1

That is bizarre! I have to say that is probably the worst part of this hobby: when something goes wrong and you just have absolutely no idea why. I am so sorry to hear it. 😥

The sailfin blenny should change color regularly (or at least mine does) depending on its mood and location, so discoloration in that one is not necessarily abnormal. Any signs of trauma or aggression on either of them?

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Any signs of trauma or aggression on either of them?

Nothing. The blenny hung out in the holes in the rock, and the angel hung out under the rock or swimming freely. I just don't get it. I feel if it were a water quality thing, then the shrimp would have been the first to go.

3 hours ago, seabass said:

TBH, I'm not sure if KPA collects their own fish, or relies on other companies or individuals.

From their website:

• KP Aquatics is offering aquarium saltwater fish, invertebrates and aqua-cultured live rock directly from the divers. Caught in the beautiful Florida Keys just for you. No middle man and our great hand-selected quality is the proven way for the best results in your tanks. Are you looking for a certain fish or plant? We will try to fulfill special requests where possible.
  • We do it all, from the collecting to the shipping to ensure that you are getting quality fish and inverts. We keep all our fish in our medicated tanks for at least one to two weeks to ensure that the fish is healthy and is eating before we ship them out.
  • Like 1
On 7/30/2019 at 11:37 AM, seabass said:

From their website:

• KP Aquatics is offering aquarium saltwater fish, invertebrates and aqua-cultured live rock directly from the divers. Caught in the beautiful Florida Keys just for you. No middle man and our great hand-selected quality is the proven way for the best results in your tanks. Are you looking for a certain fish or plant? We will try to fulfill special requests where possible.
  • We do it all, from the collecting to the shipping to ensure that you are getting quality fish and inverts. We keep all our fish in our medicated tanks for at least one to two weeks to ensure that the fish is healthy and is eating before we ship them out.

It is strange that they both died close to the same time. I don't blame KPA, but for the life of me I can't figure out what went wrong. No ammonia or nitrites. temp and salinity stable. If there was an airborne pollutant then it would have also affected the IM14, and the shrimp and snails would have shown signs of distress

• 3 weeks later...

So the most bizarre thing happened this morning. While dropping in some pellets to feed the lone fish, Sharknose goby, I was stunned to see 2 little blue striped fish swimming around. I'm pretty sure it's one of the original neons, which I haven't seen probably in close to if not more than a year! It could be the other sharknose that disappeared a day or 2 after I put the pair in several months ago, but it does not have the bright yellow head. I'm stumped as to where this little fella was hiding all of this time. My best guess is the back chamber and he just decided to jump back into the main tank.

• Like 3
  • Wow 4
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

So the most bizarre thing happened this morning. While dropping in some pellets to feed the lone fish, Sharknose goby, I was stunned to see 2 little blue striped fish swimming around. I'm pretty sure it's one of the original neons, which I haven't seen probably in close to if not more than a year! It could be the other sharknose that disappeared a day or 2 after I put the pair in several months ago, but it does not have the bright yellow head. I'm stumped as to where this little fella was hiding all of this time. My best guess is the back chamber and he just decided to jump back into the main tank.

Holy cow, this is crazy! I feel like sooner or later every reefer loses a fish only to have it reappear a bit later on... but to have one come back after a whole year!? Even if it was hiding in the back chambers, what was it eating back there? Wild.

6 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Hum You haven't clean the back chamber in over year.

Whaaat? Clean the back chamber? Wutch you talkin bout?

But seriously, yes I have, but it's easy for them to get from one chamber to another under the media rack and I never see them. It's the first place I look when one goes missing. Guess he didn't want to be found.

It's time to clean the tank, but I'm a little nervous that the recently found fish will jump. Still not sure if its a neon or sharknose. I think the shape of the head is more triangular like a sharknose, but no yellow. If I can get the glass clean I'll try to get a better picture.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

It's time to clan the tank, but I'm a little nervous that the recently found fish will jump. Still not sure if its a neon or sharknose. I think the shape of the head is more triangular like a sharknose, but no yellow. If I can get the glass clean I'll try to get a better picture.

Could you not draw down the tank so the water level is too low for them to jump while cleaning?

21 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Could you not draw down the tank so the water level is too low for them to jump while cleaning?

I suppose, Yes. I usually like to clean everything first so that I can syphon stuff out. I will just have to take my time, move slowly and try to be aware of where the fish is the whole time.

• Like 1

I'd guess that it'll find a hiding spot during cleaning.  Plus, if it jumps while you are there, just plop it back in.  IME, as long as you are there, fish usually survive jumps.  Once I had a wrasse slap me in the face.

• Haha 5

Managed to get the tank cleaned and the water changed without freaking either fish out-no jumpers today! They still move around too much for me to get a decent picture so still not sure if it's a Neon or Sharknose.

Overall I'm not really happy with this tank right now.All of the macro but the chaeto is gone. The gorgonia and RFA are doing so so, and the ricordea have never done well in here. I took out the Koralia Nano and moved the Ricordea to 2 different spots to see if any of them do better. I also think it needs more. If I could get the ricordea and/or RFA happier I'd add a couple more. Any suggestions?

Also having issues with the new nanobox. Not the light itself, but trying to put a screen top on. The little corners that connect two pieces aren't designed to change direction so that I can go around the clamp. Really don't want to invest in a custom lid but I may have to.

• Like 2
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021