Pod Your Reef

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

Those angels can get aggressive.  Maybe the goby paid off the crab to do its dirty work.

The only other possibility would be that the angel died of stress during the night and the crab was just cleaning up the remains.  However, I think you guys have found the culprit.  Especially if it looked healthy the day before.  I would have expected to see rapid breathing or something, if there was a problem.

• Like 2
On 10/11/2018 at 7:19 AM, Pjanssen said:

He's not, but don't worry, He is only being exiled for all eternity. 

Fire ants are a genetic mutation of nature, sooooo...

But he had the carcass in his den! Perhaps the goby planted it there 😮. OMG, I have to rethink this whole thing!

#reefception :whoa:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Love the light!

And somehow I missed the fact that you caught that fireworm a while back! That thing was huge. 

How did you eventually get it? Did you use that trap you bought? 

On 6/1/2019 at 11:10 AM, SeaFurn said:

And somehow I missed the fact that you caught that fireworm a while back! That thing was huge. 

How did you eventually get it? Did you use that trap you bought? 

The trap never worked. One day he just came out and was too far away from any rock work to get away. The tank had been fishless for awhile so I wasn't really feeding anything but Phyto for the gorgs, so I guess he was looking for food. But now I've discovered that there is another one!!!!

• Wow 1
2 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Wow, love how you set this tank up!! Any new FTS? Really like the wood hood and frame.

I'll work on it! Nothing new happening here tho. Need to go diving and collect a couple new Gorg frags.

• Like 2

Looks like this little tank has quite a history! Absolutely gorgeous stand you've got there. I really love it.

Glad to see that everything is still going after all this time. If I can keep my biotope alive for half as long I will declare myself a success. 😁

• Thanks 1

Pulled this guy out of the tank tonight. Now I'm not sure what I want to do with him. Since going Vegan 6 1/2 months ago, I have a different mindset about all living things, even nuisance and pests. My initial thought is to take him to the beach and put him back where came from (albeit a hundred miles or so north), but tomorrow being monday, and work calling...Not sure how long I can hold him in a little tupperware container.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Pulled this guy out of the tank tonight. Now I'm not sure what I want to do with him. Since going Vegan 6 1/2 months ago, I have a different mindset about all living things, even nuisance and pests. My initial thought is to take him to the beach and put him back where came from (albeit a hundred miles or so north), but tomorrow being monday, and work calling...Not sure how long I can hold him in a little tupperware container.

It is never easy to intentionally kill a living thing, no matter how much of a pest it might be... but in this case I think the best option would be to euthanize this guy by putting him into your freezer. Introducing it into a foreign environment could cause damage to the native ecosystem, and spending a few days in a tupperware would probably end up being more stressful and traumatizing than a quick and relatively humane freezing. It's super tough of course but that's just my two cents. 😞

Glad you caught it though! It's definitely a good thing to not have in your tank, no matter what you end up doing with it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, billygoat said:

Introducing it into a foreign environment could cause damage to the native ecosystem

These are native to South Florida. Came in my live rock from the upper Florida Keys. I live about 80-100 miles North. But still, maybe not my best option. Hadn't thought about freezing him.

So no super deals on pretty blue Ricordea like @Tigahboy got yesterday, but I stumbled into a new LFS (more of a reef service/maintenence company) and picked up some pretty blue Caribbean zoanthids that are hard to find except online.

_6170023.thumb.jpeg.2f19cee539fd4864e9d7308101aff97a.jpeg

• Like 3

Also, while photographing the Zoas, I scanned passed the Pics that I do have and noticed that a couple of them are trying to blue up again. I moved the light down lower and maybe that is helping. Still waiting on new light from NanoBox, @DaveFason?

_6170026.thumb.jpeg.c681b6fadc0e8190b188e2b424bf51f2.jpeg

• Like 2

And here is one that I found under a rock during a thorough cleanup yesterday. I remember one going missing quite awhile ago, but can't remember what it was suppose to look like. Hopefully it colors up with some light getting to it now._6170032.thumb.jpeg.e3731bc6c113345d0f30eed37ff8d796.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021