Pod Your Reef

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

I love that rock structure that goes straight up with a little platform at the top.  Is that a solid piece of rock?  Looks cool!!!!  I need to find a piece like that :D.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, gena said:

I love that rock structure that goes straight up with a little platform at the top.  Is that a solid piece of rock?  Looks cool!!!!  I need to find a piece like that :D.

It is a single piece connected to another base piece for stability. Most people would probably look at it and place it horizontal as a bridge or something, so when you're looking keep that in mind.

• Like 2

awww... I liked the old tank!  lol  Its what I voted for!

TBH, I have been debating reworkingthe scape in mine too, but the liverock is so alive that I would have to sacrifice a small colony of bivalves and tunicates and I dont think I am up for that. lol 

how is your yellow fingers doing? I am thinking of adding one to the "farside" of my tank for more color. or maybe some sun coral if @GregEmmitte starts selling. lol

5 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

awww... I liked the old tank!  lol  Its what I voted for!

TBH, I have been debating reworkingthe scape in mine too, but the liverock is so alive that I would have to sacrifice a small colony of bivalves and tunicates and I dont think I am up for that. lol 

how is your yellow fingers doing? I am thinking of adding one to the "farside" of my tank for more color. or maybe some sun coral if @GregEmmitte starts selling. lol

I liked the old scape too, but flow was getting blocked and I am ready for a change. Right now the yellow gorg is pissed off, but generally I think it's doing well. Polyps always extended, but it was getting some algae growth, which has a lot to do with why I'm re working it a little.

...wait. You voted for me?:flower: Gee, thanks. why didn't you vote for yourself? you're tank is awesome! If I didn't vote for my own, I would have had a serious hard time choosing between yours and @stellablue's

• Like 1

I need to merge the contents of my contest tank into the Fusion 20 and I have no clue what I'm going to do with the rocks. I can't even give them away after my bacterial issues! :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

I need to merge the contents of my contest tank into the Fusion 20 and I have no clue what I'm going to do with the rocks. I can't even give them away after my bacterial issues! :unsure:

Just put them in a container with saltwater and a powerhead for a few months.  Then top off every now and then.  The bacterial issue will work itself out.  Those rocks will be fine to use.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Were did you get your rocks?

59 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

It is a single piece connected to another base piece for stability. Most people would probably look at it and place it horizontal as a bridge or something, so when you're looking keep that in mind.

I figured I could probably finagle something to look like that if I can't find a solid piece.  Just thinking about future projects, trying to assemble ideas :).

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, seabass said:

Just put them in a container with saltwater and a powerhead for a few months.  Then top off every now and then.  The bacterial issue will work itself out.  Those rocks will be fine to use.

But the bivalves and tiny patch of coral and feather dusters and other life... :tears:

8 minutes ago, gena said:

Were did you get your rocks?

The bacteria didn't come from the rocks.. They were amazing, from Dan at Gulf Live Rock, and my brother got a little air freshener happy. Actually, the entire household did... And crazy bacteria + cycling rocks with die-off from shipping = Hot Mess.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

But the bivalves and tiny patch of coral and feather dusters and other life... :tears:

The bacteria didn't come from the rocks.. They were amazing, from Dan at Gulf Live Rock, and my brother got a little air freshener happy. Actually, the entire household did... And crazy bacteria + cycling rocks with die-off from shipping = Hot Mess.

Oh ok.  Interesting how that happened.  Well, at least you know what to avoid in the future! I hope you are able to still use the rocks in the future.  It'd be neat to see if anything grows out of them again, say after letting them dry out or something. 

39 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I liked the old scape too, but flow was getting blocked and I am ready for a change. Right now the yellow gorg is pissed off, but generally I think it's doing well. Polyps always extended, but it was getting some algae growth, which has a lot to do with why I'm re working it a little.

...wait. You voted for me?:flower: Gee, thanks. why didn't you vote for yourself? you're tank is awesome! If I didn't vote for my own, I would have had a serious hard time choosing between yours and @stellablue's

:lol:

I voted myself for most frugal ;)  I need that ATO for yoshii. lol

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, gena said:

Oh ok.  Interesting how that happened.  Well, at least you know what to avoid in the future! I hope you are able to still use the rocks in the future.  It'd be neat to see if anything grows out of them again, say after letting them dry out or something. 

Oh, they're doing great now! Bacteria's been gone for months; I just don't want to risk giving it to someone with phosphate/nitrate/carbon issues and having it come back on them, you know? Right now there's a huge bivalve, a handful of smaller ones that blend into the rock work, plenty of spoon worms and hair worms, dusters, teeny barnacles, etc. And a tiny surviving patch of an encrusting coral. I'm thinking I'll lift what's in the Fusion 20 tank and use them as base rocks...

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

Oh, they're doing great now! Bacteria's been gone for months; I just don't want to risk giving it to someone with phosphate/nitrate/carbon issues and having it come back on them, you know? Right now there's a huge bivalve, a handful of smaller ones that blend into the rock work, plenty of spoon worms and hair worms, dusters, teeny barnacles, etc. And a tiny surviving patch of an encrusting coral. I'm thinking I'll lift what's in the Fusion 20 tank and use them as base rocks...

Cool!  I'll check out your 20!  I love Fusions :D.

Thunder Goose

I like the more open look of your temporary 'scape. And the gorgonians! How do you keep them stable? I try putty and glue and nothing seems to work once my snails start moving around. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Thunder Goose said:

I like the more open look of your temporary 'scape. And the gorgonians! How do you keep them stable? I try putty and glue and nothing seems to work once my snails start moving around. :wacko:

mostly I used Aquamaxx reef welder. It works great, but I don't like the colors so much-either white or purple. I hoping eventually corals and carline eventually encrust over it

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I have no clue. Figured someone would. It's very small, maybe 1/4 inch

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me has a clue lol.

The problem is finding someone more knowledgeable than Lula Mae. :)

Yeah, IDK what they are either.  However, I don't believe they are sponges, they're some sort of colonial organism.  Could be tunicates (but they are nothing I've seen before). :unsure:  I wouldn't be concerned about them.  Just more cool stuff in your tank.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, IDK what they are either.  However, I don't believe they are sponges, they're some sort of colonial organism.  Could be tunicates (but they are nothing I've seen before). :unsure:  I wouldn't be concerned about them.  Just more cool stuff in your tank.

Lula Mae:wub:. Yea, definitely not sponges.  Can't believe the Great Seabass doesn't know :o  I'm not worried about it/them, just curious.

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, seabass said:

19 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Lula Mae:wub:. Yea, definitely not sponges.  Can't believe the Great Seabass doesn't know :o  I'm not worried about it/them, just curious.

You guys are too kind! :blush: I'll be honest, sometimes the discussions on here sail right on over my head! :lol: So much I have left to learn!

• Like 2
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021