Pod Your Reef

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

I'm concerned that if the RFA dies during the night than it will pollute the whole tank so I have it in the Quarantine tank with a brain coral from my other thank that I've been trying to revive. That seems like the lesser of two evils to me. The RFA is in a separate container with just a little bit of sand just in case it wants to bury itself. I have it slightly tilted just on the surface so that it gets just a little bit of water circulation. Keeping fingers crossed that it pulls through.

36532483205_b02f5993fa_c.jpgRFA by Penny, on Flickr

• Like 1

The Anemone is not looking any better this morning, but it is still alive. Not really sure what to do about it. I wonder if the LFS would take responsibility? But on a good note, the crab seems to be doing fine. He's actually color coordinated with the macro!

36371810882_7e72c45123_b.jpgBlending in by Penny, on Flickr

Also, discovered 2 remaining baby snails.

• Like 9

Anemone update?  I wonder if it just needs time to settle in to the new environment. 

How did the lighting compare between where they were in the store compared to your tank?  I have one that crawled into a crevice in the rock and is basically facing 15° downward from perpendicular to the light.  It doesn't seem to want any light at all.  The other is perfectly face up soaking in the sun.  Perhaps your would simply prefer a shadow.  

Good luck. fingerscrossed

5 hours ago, holy carp said:

Anemone update?  I wonder if it just needs time to settle in to the new environment. 

How did the lighting compare between where they were in the store compared to your tank?  I have one that crawled into a crevice in the rock and is basically facing 15° downward from perpendicular to the light.  It doesn't seem to want any light at all.  The other is perfectly face up soaking in the sun.  Perhaps your would simply prefer a shadow.  

Good luck. fingerscrossed

Anemone didn't make it. I think it was damaged before I put it in. I'd  say the LFS definitely has better/stronger lights than this little contest tank!

5 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Whew!  Just caught up.

:) The tank looks amazing! 

Thank you. I was looking at yours yesterday, it too looks amazing.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Anemone didn't make it. I think it was damaged before I put it in. I'd  say the LFS definitely has better/stronger lights than this little contest tank!

All I can tell you is that lighting didn't kill it.  I've put them though all sorts of extremes and haven't had a problem (even in relatively weak lighting).

However, once you see their guts like that, and it isn't smooth inside, the outlook is usually grim.  I can't explain what happened though.  It's like it was physically damaged.  Maybe they just got them in.  And maybe it came on a rock, and they removed it. :unsure:

• Like 1

Yeah. I need to learn to inspect things better before I put them in my tank. And to ask questions while in the LFS. You'd think after all these years I'd know better

1 hour ago, seabass said:

All I can tell you is that lighting didn't kill it.  I've put them though all sorts of extremes and haven't had a problem (even in relatively weak lighting).

However, once you see their guts like that, and it isn't smooth inside, the outlook is usually grim.  I can't explain what happened though.  It's like it was physically damaged.  Maybe they just got them in.  And maybe it came on a rock, and they removed it. :unsure:

31 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Sorry your anemone did not make it. I agree with seabass it probably was in serious trouble before you got it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, holy carp said:

What, is that the anemone? :(

No. I removed the anemone before it actually died. Could be part of it's guts that it expelled though.

10 minutes ago, seabass said:

I can smell it from here. ;)

It actually didn't stink.

I should probably check my nitrates etc.

29493678334_797550919f_o.gifgiphy by Penny, on Flickr

• Sad 1
  • Haha 4
5 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

No. I removed the anemone before it actually died. Could be part of it's guts that it expelled though.

It actually didn't stink.

I should probably check my nitrates etc.

29493678334_797550919f_o.gifgiphy by Penny, on Flickr

You mean...test??  Who does that?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Yeah. I need to learn to inspect things better before I put them in my tank. And to ask questions while in the LFS. You'd think after all these years I'd know better

Your LFS should also NOT sell you something damaged! Man that REALLY pisses me off. I get RFAs by the box and I think I lost 1 out of 200 or so. Watch the way they remove anemones. You should use a credit card or something similar.  I won't send out anything that has just arrived, it stays here till it looks good or it ain't going anywhere.

6 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Do you think I should clean it?:lol:

35777586043_05839d3b25.jpgYuck by Penny, on Flickr

Nah, if it's still turning it's working. :P

Testing? I taste the water and that's about it. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Your LFS should also NOT sell you something damaged! Man that REALLY pisses me off. I get RFAs by the box and I think I lost 1 out of 200 or so. Watch the way they remove anemones. You should use a credit card or something similar.  I won't send out anything that has just arrived, it stays here till it looks good or it ain't going anywhere.

Nah, if it's still turning it's working. :P

Testing? I taste the water and that's about it. ;)

So how do I buy from you.

21 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

So how do I buy from you.

I do local sales only. If you're ever in the area, I can pack stuff for you to take with you.  I do wholesale and I'm not set up to do a few specimens yet, but we're working on it. All of our stock goes airport to airport.

• Like 1

OMG! there's always something! Came in from work to a constant beeping from my tank. I recognize as my ATO warning, so I go and check it out. Tank is full almost to the top and ATO reservoir  is empty. Thank goodness the reservoir wasn't full! But salinity has dropped to 1.022. How slowly do I need to bring it back up given how rapidly it was accidentally taken down?

Anybody else have trouble with their Smart ATO. I loved it up until now.

• Wow 1
fishfreak0114

Oh no!  That must have been an alarming thing to come home to!  Not sure how slowly to bring it back up, but you could always top off with saltwater until it's back to normal?  I'm not sure how long that would take.

42 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I do local sales only. If you're ever in the area, I can pack stuff for you to take with you.  I do wholesale and I'm not set up to do a few specimens yet, but we're working on it. All of our stock goes airport to airport.

where is local

11 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Oh no!  That must have been an alarming thing to come home to!  Not sure how slowly to bring it back up, but you could always top off with saltwater until it's back to normal?  I'm not sure how long that would take.

first I have to take excess water  out. I'm so glad I din't fill the reservoir this morning. What a true nightmare that would have been.

I think what happened is I knocked the sensor out of position when I cleaned the pump. I must have forgot to reset it correctly. I don't think there is anything wrong with the ATO, just the user.

39 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

where is local

North of Baltimore.

Siphon the water out back into the reservoir and refill it when it's empty again with RO water.

• Like 2
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021